It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 08:41 AM   #1
(female)

bev5493 HB User
Atkins Diet???????

My doctor just suggested yesterday for me to do the atkins diet I had the book years ago and gave it away And i have no idea how to do the 2 week starting phase. I have severe reactive hypoglycemia and he wants me to do it for a month any info would greatly be appreciated thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User
Re: Atkins Diet???????

From what i understand you just have to keep your carbs to less the 20g a day.

when you say reactive hypoglycemia i assume you mean that after eating carbs your blood sugar goes low due to the release on insulin?

i am imagining it is diferent then just plain hypoglycemia in which people need to eat carbs to prevent their blood sugar from going too low?

Being I diabetic I know how Hypoglycemia can feel....and its not nice

I am suprised your doctor would say to do atkins rather then just a Low glycemic diet.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2006, 11:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Doing Atkins for a month is just nuts, even for those who think Atkins is God's gift.
I say don't do it at all but if you DO do it, then plan on being on it for a year or more. Otherwise you will be looking at yet another yo-yo phase where you wind up weighing more than when you started.

As bluej said: 14 days of less than 20 grams carbs a day, including a total of 3 serviings salad or very low carb veg. All the eggs and meat you want...but only til you are full (never figured out what that meant )
Then add 6 grams of carbs for <26 grams the third week and 6 more the fourth for a daily total of <32 grams.
No more than 4 ounces of cheese (newer books) and limit cream to couple tsps. (again, newer editions.)
Diet soda, Diet jello, Diet (no-cal) ANYTHING is fine in any quantity.

That's really all you need to know.

But DON'T even start if only for a month.

Personally, I think the diet is the most unhealthy one ever to gain popularity.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-18-2006 at 11:01 AM.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
(female)

It'sMe_Angel HB User

Atkins to me is wonderful and I'm thinking about starting it again..soon. I think I'll start Monday.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reddoorblack HB User

I hate to ever say I'm "doing" Atkins because people have such strong feelings about it. What I do is lower my carb intake, and I do this using some of the information on the Atkins site. I don't load up on meat and cheese and get most of my carbs from veggies. I just stay away from white things, i.e., sugar, bread, rice, potato. The Atkins website has a lot of good information though. Good luck!

I haven't been taking care of myself lately and let my weight slip beyond a point that I am comfortable. I started limiting my carbs today and hope to lose 20 pounds.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
(female)

Jonistyle4 HB User

Hey, not to totally shoot your doctor down, but i would consider seeing someone else about this. (second opinions never hurt!) i too am reactionary hypoglycemic, but (as i'm sure you know), the symptoms only "set on" when you haven't eaten recently enough or if you have but it was like 100% sugar food. is that how yours is too?

the reason i say this is because i really don't think it's such a big deal that you need a total 100% diet change. it's only reactionary, you know? it's not like it's full-out all the time. so yes, diet alterations -- such as eating every two hours, eating more protein in general, combining carbs with protein (ie: PB and crackers), eating less simple sugars, etc. -- are a GREAT way to combat the "reactionary" effect. but a full-out diet overhaul? i just REALLY don't think it's necessary.

anyway, just my two cents, but i hope it helps!

Old 08-21-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I tried Atkins and it never worked for me.
and there all right you can just have up to 20 g of carbs during the induction phase, but I think the Atkins has been modified now? not sure on what you can have as far as eatting just meats/eggs/cheese and proteine or not? I think there more veggie free now?

Last edited by chevyman; 08-21-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
(female)

chocolatefor3 HB User

My mother did Atkins and lost 25 lbs. She has a lot of will power - unlike me! Anyway, she lost 25lbs, but with any diet change - once you go off, you really need to watch your intake afterwards. The lbs came back on slowly for her and she is back where she started. I've never tried it, but I've heard it isn't good for your cholesterol, heart, etc.

I agree with the other post, I would get a second opinion OR have your doctor write out a diet plan (list of foods to eat on Atkins and a list to stay away from)

Good Luck!

Closed Thread