It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
(female)

josieinkwt HB User
Exclamation trying to lose weight-need advice

Hi! I am 25, 5'4 and currently weigh 178. I have always been 'chunky' (or as I like to say 'fluffy'. People tell me that I dont look like I weight that much/or look fat(I think they might just be saying that though). Iam what people call 'bottom-heavy'. I have always worn jean sizes over size 10(i think its because I have huge thighs), but now I hardly squeeze into 16s that feel like a second skin on me. For about the past 2 years I have slowly been gaining weight, but in the past few months I have gained almost 20+ lbs really fast, which gave me gross, red stretch marks on my tummy! I am determined to loose 50 pounds,& I know it doesnt just melt off overnight. I just dont know how to start (andkeep going-the key)!! I dont think I will ever get rid of those stretch marks, but I suppose thats the least of my worries.( I think its a sign from my body warning me that I cant get any bigger!) Anyways,I work really long days and dont ever feel like I have the time to work out. I wake up at 4am and leave the house @430 and i am at work by 6, and dont get back home until 615pm, 6 days a week. 95% of the time when I get home I feel so exhausted that I just want to collapse. The past 2 weeks I have been trying my best to eat right. I go for like 4or 5 days of eating well and then I give in to my sweet tooth craving or pasta, potateos or something similar! It really sucks too, because I know I am an emotinal eater which makes it even harder. Im not addicted to food, its that I have this abnormal thing where Im always thinking about it. I dream of food I cant have or that I want to make. I wake up in the morning and think 'what do I want to have for dinner" I want to exercise, I just dont know where to start. I know that there is a healthy, fit girl somewhere inside of me, that doesnt obsess over food and can feel good about herself. I just dont know where to look.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #2

winged1 HB User
Re: trying to lose weight-need advice

I was a size 10 at one point, so I can commiserate. It comes down to not making it a weight issue, rather, you want to look and feel great and be healthy, right? I NEVER own a scale, I base my weight on how I feel and how my clothes fit.

First of all, faith in God makes the struggle of change easier to bear. In truth, you can't change yourself, not without divine help.

On the practical side, I don't buy butter, (the spreads that are made with yogurt taste really good), white bread, or most starches, they are poison to a woman's body, yet i really eat whatever i want. Since my diet doesn't consist of donuts, bagel, pasta and pizza, i don't deny myself if i want oreos and milk. I only buy skim milk, and I drink a ton of it (you need it to build the muscle you need to stay healthy) Once you start choosing to truly eat healthily, the crap tastes awful to ya. Drink lots of water! I never cared for water, so I drank seltzer, but lots of hydration is necessary!

Ok, gotta commit to change which means,as a 25 y.o. you NEED to do 20 minutes of strength or aerobics and walk as much as possible. I am a single mom w/ three kids, one in diapers, one nearing puberty (yipes the hormones) and the middle one who doesn't listen to a word I say, no help to speak of(from father, grandparents, etc.) I work my arms, abs and legs every day, usually 20 minutes in my room nothing fancy--push ups, a variety of ab work, I have 5lb weights, a body sculpting ball and try to walk as many places in the day as i can. Then I cook at least 5 nights a week making lean protein the key (griled chicken, grilled meat or fish) and brown rice, grilled veggies, salad, cheese, soups, stews, salads. Protein for breakfast (I eat swiss cheese, it gives u so much energy).

Once you start making daily exercise FOR YOU a treat, well deserved and a new habit, you can't do without it. And when You do this you build muscle, which burns calories even when sleeping-- the more muscle, the more energy it needs to burn. I'd be glad to help you with strategies for making time, for specific exercises, for bible verses to help you find your strength. Let me know how I can help. Oh yeah, I am a lean, muscular size4 after 3 kids, best shape of my life and i have more excuses now than i've ever had at any time in my life to be otherwise. I am fit FOR ME, because I deserve to be, I am important enough to make the time for keeping fit, and this is how God wants us to be so we have the energy, health and wherewithall to do for others! Plus eating healthily and exercising LIFTS YOUR SPIRITS, its an antidote to discouragement whcih leads to depression.

YOU CAN DO IT

Old 08-21-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Arie82 HB User

Well, if you don't have much time or energy to workout, all I can really say is to just eat less, moderate amounts... not too much and not too little. You don't want to starve yourself, and you don't want to have huge amounts to eat. It will take some time for you to get used to it though, if you eat a moderate amount, it will just be a little painful until your body gets used to it. If you dream about foods you can't have, others may disagree with me, I say eat them. But in moderation.

It also may help if you like this better which is to eat several small meals throughout the day to keep your hunger in check instead of three moderate ones. Good luck.

PS- It would probably help if you develop some other interest which gives you pleasure besides food especially if you wake up in the morning thinking about dinner.

Last edited by Arie82; 08-21-2006 at 09:50 PM.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Learn to count calories, buy a digital food scale and record every calorie you eat.
Stay under 1,500 calories/day and exercise readily. If you can choose only one, choose the former.
And be patient...the weight willl come off steadily...go for 130-140#.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
(female)

kimb0091 HB User

I totally know where you are comming from. I can't even remember the last time I wore a size 10. I was always very athletic in highschool and never had to worry about what I ate (although I always considerd myself bottom-heavy, also). I am still active, but not nearly as much as I used to be. I hate to exercise, and when I get home from work I don't want to do anything. I finally started doing weightwatchers online because some people at work were doing it and said great things about it. It's really easy, and I don't stick to my plan very well, but I have already lost almost 20 pounds since late may. I think it just makes you more aware of what you are eating and how much. I still have my bad days, and I really still eat what I want, but I think it's a psychological thing. Keeping track makes you think about what you are putting into your body and try to be healthier. You can also keep track of your weight loss, which is very encourging to keep at it. Good luck - I know you can do it!

Old 08-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
(female)

tobeslim2 HB User

Josie-

You and I need to be talking more often. We have way to much in common. I am 5-4 and as of May of this year I weighed 187 lbs. I have stretch marks on hips, thighs, and stomach. I was a size 16 about to burst out. But you know what, I am losing it.

I work from my home and didn't think I could find time either with the kids and this intense summer heat, I just didn't think it would be possible. But, I found a way. Do you know research has proven and I agree if you work out in the morning you have more energy all day? I get myself and the kids ready for school/work and once I take them to daycare, I walk 2 miles in 25 minutes. I do this every day of the week, weekends, and vacations. We then as a family walk the same route of 2 miles after we eat dinner, so I walk 4 miles a day.

I do exercises on M, W, F with weights and tone my butt, hips, arms, and belly.

This is my 11th week and I am down to 161, size 10/12 and less stretch marks. I used to have bid dents in between my hips and thighs on the sides and they are almost gone. You can do it, trust me. If I can....You can too. There is a buddy list on here you can add someone too if you ever need support one on one.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
(female)

Miss Romantic HB User

well.. you know, a few years ago, i lost almost all the weight i needed to lose. i was thin (the healthy kind)! i could fit into stuff, wear nice clothes and all. but then i lost control, and i gained ALL the weight back. yep, it's a sad story, i know. well, now i know the mistakes i made. i'm on a diet right now and i'm trying my best to keep at it. see, i learned that when you're on a diet, you can stay on it, just as long as your hands are tied to the table.. but once your hands aren't tied, your old habits are back. that's what happened to me. i just want to say that, i totally understand how tired you are when you come home from work and stuff. i don't work nearly as much, but i have a low energy level so yeah. if you really can't find the time to exercise, or you're too exhausted too, don't. don't force yourself or overexert yourself, because you might just get sick of it after a while. your diet is more important. i don't believe in being overly conscious and stuff.. do everything in moderation. eat healthy.. vegetables are always good for you, drink enough water, you can have carbs too, seafood and poultry is also good. don't drink sodas (all those diet sodas are okay for weight loss, but not for your health, by the way) or sugary drinks.. it's just filled with calories. and don't starve yourself.. when you're hungry, eat. just don't eat something unhealthy (no fried or overly sweet or salty stuff). also, just be aware of what you eat.. i suggest you plan your meals or research online or something about the food you eat so you know what you're eating. also, yep, you should find yourself another hobby.. find something you like to do. i understand where you're coming from with the food thing, before i started my diet, i was that way.. but it's something you can beat. another thing is, you see, it's hard to resist all the temptations, but you're losing most of that yummy, unhealthy food from your life, but you're gaining something new--a healthy, better looking body. you can still eat yummy food too, but the healthy, yummy kind.
oh and fad diets don't work.. don't do them. hope all this was helpful for you, and just add me on your buddy list if you want to talk. oh yeaahh.. one last thing.. right now, i know you're thinking about weight loss and stuff, but go about losing weight in such a way that you can maintain it too.. like don't overdo it! you'll get sick of it after a while.
you can do it! just have faith in yourself and imagine that better looking and feeling you.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
(female)

tobeslim2 HB User

Miss Romantic-

Well said and couldn't agree with you more. Fad diets DON'T work!! I have found in my research lately, that all those fad diets and the yo-yo syndrome you usually gain it all back and then some. Don't think of your new way of eating as a diet, because it is that to you a diet (temporary). Instead embrace it as a new way of life. I still have sweets, the good kind, but in moderation and I don't even crave them anymore. I simply eat them now and then, but little amounts, I don't allow myself to binge.

Exercise is important, but you're right, you have to have the time and energy. You don't want to get bogged down with it and start to dread it. Once you find the routine that works for you, you will like it and your heightened energy level. I have so much energy now my toddlers get tired of me Moderation is the key. Once you figure out what works, you will make it part of your everyday life and find you don't want to go back to those old habits. SOme tips I can offer are the following:
1) Drink water all you can, can't get too much. And drink water in between bites, it fills you up quicker.
2) Put just enough on your plate to satisfy your hunger, once all the food is gone, leave the table (simple yet very effective).
3) Weigh yourself every day and before bed. I know it sounds obssesive, but it lets you know in the beginning when you are doing good and bad.
4) Write down your weight and what you eat. Until you are able to face it, you won't know what changes you are making. Make this a family thing too if you can, the more support you have, the better off you will be.

Add me to your buddy list as well if you desire. Always need as much support as I can get too.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #9
(female)

josieinkwt HB User
Talking Thanks guys!!

Thanks for all of your advice everyone !!Its reassuring to know Im not the only one out there! I would like to start a journal to help me and to keep me motivated as I can jump off the bandwagon overnight...Well, I am planning on exercising to a workout video I bought after work. I would do it in the morning, but I wake up early as it is (4am). Even though I will be exercising as soon as I walk into my home; between 630 to 7/730 at night, I hope it doesnt mess up my sleep. I got some diet pills to help me with my cravings; my main problem is that I eat too much food. I dont eat much fried food, I just like sweets and carbs, but outside of that my diet is of healthy foods(yogurt, salads, fruits veg, grilled chicken,fish)Its just that I eat as much (if not more) food as my husband for crying out loud!! My husband wants to get fit too, but he is even worse when it comes to his diet and has zilch motivation factor..he has been my diet/exercise sabotage in the past too!! I just hope I can keep myself motivated for more than a weeks time (I swear to god this is like my 8th time since Jan 06 to 'start' my exercise/diet plan) I want to do this and keep doing it!!

Last edited by josieinkwt; 08-23-2006 at 09:28 PM.

Closed Thread