It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Metabolism?

Uderstanding the metabolism.
does calories have any effect on your metab? (sure it does)
for sample, we all know if you comsume less calories and burn energy thats great for weight loss!
but for some people if they do a low calorie count, they don't lose? but if they increase there calorie count then they lose?
I realize thats just there metabolism or the way eating calories has that effect on them, theres a name for this I just can't spell it.

I know a friend of mine started conting calories and went down to just 1200 cals per day and she did this for 4 weeks and never lost one little bitty lb, she increase the calories to 1800 and started loseing/ I just do not understand this at all? it just blows my mind.
and Dr's saying that if you consume calories 9 times your weight you will lose, like if you weigh 250lbs you times that number by 9 =2250 calories? I never did understand that either?

Old 08-25-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Metabolism?

Until I see and count the calories of the person who drops to 1200 calories and doesn't lose, I wll not believe it. I have seen some people make quite a muddle with their calorie counting...and indeed some people actually LIE to their notebooks...for real!

Going to a low calorie count for a long time can damage the metabolism and make it oversensitive and efficient but such a person, when he consumes, MORE calories will gain weight like wildfire, not lose it.

I think that "Raise calories to lose weight" is an oft repeated "uraban legend" with very little basis in fact.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-25-2006 at 07:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

I would have to agree with lenin on this.

I dont believe any of the "Eat More to Lose" theory. When people give examples there are just too many other variables. Water being the biggest one. The problem is that Most people relate Weight loss directly to fat loss.

Some one can go two weeks on 1200 calories and see no change in the scale but still be losing fat.....then they go up to 1800 calories and a week later they see a drop of 3lbs. They assume at that point that they needed too eat more to lose.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 08-25-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
(female)

lulu123 HB User

I read somewhere that it takes the body approximately 1 week to process the food we ate a week ago. In other words, eat today..see results 7 days later.

That does make sense.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Fireball76 HB User

To chevyman's original post...
You friend may have cut her calories too much, or drastically from what she usually would consume, for what her body needs to function. So by doing that her body went into survival mode and stored every calorie she took in. Yes, eventually she would have lost weight, but it would have taken longer because her body is fighting the weight loss to keep alive.
By increasing her calorie intake her body's defense mechanism can relax. Her body was then getting enough to live on and could afford to burn off those extra pounds rather than save them for use later.
You can starve to death, everyone knows that, but the body is set up to try to stop that from happening. I don't know for sure, you didn't say how much she wants to lose, but if your friend was a larger person, her body needs more calories to function, so that's why at 1200 calories her body stopped the weight loss or at least tried to delay it. Someone who may not be as large would lose at that number of calories because it's not so much less than what they need.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball76
To chevyman's original post...
You friend may have cut her calories too much, or drastically from what she usually would consume, for what her body needs to function. So by doing that her body went into survival mode and stored every calorie she took in. Yes, eventually she would have lost weight, but it would have taken longer because her body is fighting the weight loss to keep alive.
By increasing her calorie intake her body's defense mechanism can relax. Her body was then getting enough to live on and could afford to burn off those extra pounds rather than save them for use later.
You can starve to death, everyone knows that, but the body is set up to try to stop that from happening. I don't know for sure, you didn't say how much she wants to lose, but if your friend was a larger person, her body needs more calories to function, so that's why at 1200 calories her body stopped the weight loss or at least tried to delay it. Someone who may not be as large would lose at that number of calories because it's not so much less than what they need.
yeah your probably right!
I really think she is being truthful about counting claories...she is a very honest person, I think she maybe eating something and may not know the calorie count?..or maybe miscounting or something? thats eazy to do if you don't write all the calories down.
but she says she is trying to stay close to that 1200 a day but she started eating a little more calories and I think she said she was loseing now?..I'll have to ask her next time I see her..I just hate to ask people about there weight tho....she is the one that tells me about her weight problem....so I listen.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Fireball76 HB User

Hey! If she's losing now, then good for her! Doesn't matter if she's off a bit in her counting if it's working for her!

Last edited by Fireball76; 09-03-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:55 PM   #8
(male)

The Mage HB User

Yes, dropping calories too low can actually cause a persons metabolism to slow down to the point that a person cannot lose weight.

Sometimes people drop their calories even more, which is a temporary fix. But if a person is that low, they may be burning more muscle then fat, which causes an even further drop in metabolism.

It is a good idea to take a break with an increase in calories after 12 weeks of dieting.

Now as far as the whole idea of eating more and losing weight, it can be true, and depends on the circumstances.

If you fill up on lean protein sources, healthy fats, and fruits and vegetables, while avoiding all the “bad” stuff, then you could fill up and still lose fat.

It is actually a good idea to take your temperature every day while dieting. If you notice a drop in body temperature, it could indicate a slowing metabolism, and a sign that you either need to take a break from the diet, or took your calories too low.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mage
Yes, dropping calories too low can actually cause a persons metabolism to slow down to the point that a person cannot lose weight.

Sometimes people drop their calories even more, which is a temporary fix. But if a person is that low, they may be burning more muscle then fat, which causes an even further drop in metabolism.

It is a good idea to take a break with an increase in calories after 12 weeks of dieting.

Now as far as the whole idea of eating more and losing weight, it can be true, and depends on the circumstances.

If you fill up on lean protein sources, healthy fats, and fruits and vegetables, while avoiding all the “bad” stuff, then you could fill up and still lose fat.

It is actually a good idea to take your temperature every day while dieting. If you notice a drop in body temperature, it could indicate a slowing metabolism, and a sign that you either need to take a break from the diet, or took your calories too low.
oh ok thanks,
I didn't know this about the Body Temp....Interesting!

Closed Thread