It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
calorie question bugging me?

If you eat say 1400 caloires in a days time and thats your limit(male) and you exercise over 400 calories burn, do you subtract the calories burn to show you only took in 1000 calories for that day?
or do you just half the calories burn because there estmated burn calories showing up on a machine.??
now this is not cheating every things legit. counting the calories to a T and exerciseing like to 415 -525 calories...so I just go with the 400.

I'm really confused about all this calorie stuff, someone set me straight before I run into a wall or something...

I know this is a silly way to ask but its kinda what I been doing and I was wondering if it was wrong?...

also is it wrong to have a cheat day once a month for comfort foods?
Thanks, chevyman

Last edited by chevyman; 08-26-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User
Re: calorie question bugging me?

Good morning Chevyman,
I'm not an expert by any means, but here's my opinion. I would think you would count the entire 1400 calories, since they actually did go into your body. The 400 or so calories that you are burning by exercising is where the weight loss comes in and any calorie defiency (sp)? you may have. My limit at present is 1200, so I just feel that if I burn say 200 by exercise, then my body has 1000 left to function on. Since by the charts, I need appx. 1700, for my body just to survive, ( yes, I have a long way to go)
I feel that I am -700 for the day. Since 3500 calories equals 1 lb. of fat, I figure I should be able to lose a pound every 5 days and still stay healthy. Like I say, I'm no expert, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But, that's my two cents worth. As for the cheat day, have it and enjoy to the max. My older brother lost over 80 pounds about 4 years ago, and he has kept the weight off. He allows himself a cheat day every month and has whatever he wants with no problem. It's the long haul, not one day that matters. Like he told me concerning Thanksgiving and Christmas, the holiday is one day, not the whole month, plan to "cheat" on the holiday and right back to "healthy living" the next day. I have seen it work for him, so I am an expert on that. Also, my friend has a cheat day every Sunday! She exercises faithfully and eats healthy 6 days a week. On Sunday, day off from exercise and eat all you want buffet after church on Sunday. She say this keeps her going all week, because when she really has a craving for something, she just tells herself " you can have it on Sunday". No way are you going to undo 6 good days in one day. I think when I do eventually get to goal that may be what I do. Hope this helps!
Have a great day!
Brenwill
/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
(female)

tpagm HB User

I take in 1200-1500 calories a day and typically will burn about 400-500 calories three to five days a week at the gym (cardio and weights). I count the calorie burning as fat loss (3500 to loss one lb). I hit a horrible plateau not too long ago and could not get below 132lbs for weeks. So I went ahead and lowered my calorie intake to around 1000-1100 I am now down to 128lb. I have a cheat day a week where I eat whatever I want however, I don't over due it...I will consume maybe 2000 calories or so. I honestly think that the calorie counting has caused my weight loss because I have not been as religious as I was with going to the gym and now I am steadily losing weekly by lowering my calorie intake. I was 144lb at the end of May and I am female 5'3.
Good Luck
TAKE A CHEAT DAY MORE OFTEN IT IS NICE TO ENJOY YOURSELF SOMETIMES : )

Old 08-27-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

thank you brewwil123,
you make a lot of sense, and it helps and knowing that it works for your brother..so thanks...but I got to try to stay away from them buffets like ryans steak house or Golden coral..the food is just to darn good and to much to choose from.

tpagm,
calorie counting as been the only thing that has cause my weight loss too along with exercise everyday, the thing bout counting calories is that you can have the foods you love, its just that you can't have very much and that took me some gettting use to.
but I'm glad I DID.
''CHEAT'' DAYS. ..Mmm oh yeah..Love them hot buttered biscuits and white cream gravey fresh baked beacon..MMMmm Oh Yeah...

Closed Thread