It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User
Another WW Points Question

I'm just curious, does anyone know how many calories WW diet restricts you to?? Like say you are allowed 20 points in a day, how many calories does that equal out to?? Reason I ask is that my aunt goes to WW and says she is losing 2lbs per week just counting points, no exercise whatsoever. She is not that overweight (maybe 20 lbs) and I just cant believe she can be losing that much per week by counting points alone. I think in terms of calories, not points, so I'm thinking that means she is cutting 1000 calories per day to be able to lose that much a week. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of how many calories someone on a 20 points WW plan would be consuming in a day? Thanks.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:11 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Another WW Points Question

Of course you can lose 2 pounds per week on WW! For heaven's sake! And while people will give you a range of calories to points, it's really irrelevant because there are so many foods on WW that are zero points. If she's eating a lot of zero or one point foods, it owuld be very difficult to figure her caloric intake. The reason you lose weight is that you are eating less than you were before = the same reason anyone loses weight.

When I went on WW, I lost 3 pounds each of the first two weeks. And I was on 18-23 points per day. MORE than enough food to satisfy you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

SmartPants,

Figure very close to 50 calories per POINT. THus a 20 POINT diet is a 1000 calorie diet, VERY restrictive, so I'd expect close that kind of weight loss that your aunt is getting.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO COUNTING CALORIES AND YOUR INTAKE OF WHAT YOU EAT.
20 points =1000 calories=7 points per meal?
like smartpants aunt she is just eating the 1000 calories a day and to me its usally eazer for someone to lose thats not so much overweight because they just don't have as much fat to lose.
if that makes sense?
maybe it changes the brain receptors?
did anyone see the 1000 lb man on the dicovery channel? they put him on a 1200 calorie diet and he lost half his weight in 6 months, so maybe it don't matter how much over weight you are as far as counting calories and loseing?

Old 08-29-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

thanks, that was what i was looking for!

Old 08-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman
IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO COUNTING CALORIES AND YOUR INTAKE OF WHAT YOU EAT.
20 points =1000 calories=7 points per meal?
I think the WW points system is just a simpler way of counting calories. It's easier than adding up the actual calories. I tried to work out how many calories I had the other day, and it was a math nightmare.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
(female)

chocolatefor3 HB User

The point system is not the same for everyone. It all depends on your body structure, how much weight you have to loose, etc. For instance, when I was on WW after the birth of my first child, I was allowed more points than normal because I was nursing. Once I stopped nursing, 8-10 pts/ day were taken away. Additionally if you are working out, depending on the activity level, you are allowed several pts per the day you work out.

Titchou was correct... there are a lot of foods that have zero pts. For instance, most non-starchy veggies. My aunt ate that nasty cabbage soup all day long when she got hungry in between meals and it was only 1 pt per bowl. The more fiber in the food, the less pts. Fruits are a different story due to natural sugars. Portion sizes are a big factor as well. WW usually suggests 3-4 oz of lean protein which is usually 1-2 pts per ounce.

WW is an easier way to count calories. However, it's also a learning mechinism on what foods you really should be eating and portion sizes. It's an easy, healthy system to follow and I highly recommend it.

Closed Thread