It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User
Is everyone here into diet pills?

I'm really surprised at the number of threads about diet pills on this message board. I seriously didn't know they were so popular. I've always read that you should only take them under a doctor's supervision.

Has anyone here talked to their doctor about weight loss pills? If so, what did they say? (Whe I talked to my doctor about my weight gain, she sent me to a nutritionist.)

By the way, no, I'm not taking diet pills, and no, I'm not considering taking them. I'm doing fine with the diet I'm on. I'm just curious.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User
Re: Is everyone here into diet pills?

No, not everyone. I haven't taken any and don't plan to. My husband is about 70 lbs overweight and went to the doctor to get a prescription. The doctor told him nothing works. A nutritionist is the best thing for you. Learn what foods your body needs, and then, eat those. Don't eat more calories than your body needs. And, get up and move. Of course, my husband hasn't done any of those things and hasn't lost any weight, but it works for me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

No I don't take diet pills, but I don't see anything wrong with it if thats what a person choses to do to help them with there weight loss.

rubato,
sounds like your hubby is just ''normal''...lol...just kiddin
hopefully he will start to follow your path...
I WISH YOU BOTH WELL.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:43 AM   #4
(female)

Jessbear HB User

I was actually pretty surprised to see how many people on here are taking diet pills too. I personally think diet pills are a scam and do more damage than good, but that's just me. Everyone has different preferences and I can respect that.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #5
(female)

seo HB User

Well, I know that for me personally, they really helped break a plateau. Maybe it's all in my head? But it's sure hard to say that when I've lost so much weight while on the pills and following diet and exercise routine. Whatever the case, I'm very happy with the results I've gotten, including clearer skin, so for me they work beautifully. Now, I don't believe they are a ticket to get out of serious work. You do have to change everything about your lifestyle, especially if you want the weight loss to be a perminent change. I follow a strict diet and work out daily. I don't plan to be on the pills forever, but I do plan to follow the diet and exercise routine for the rest of my life.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:42 AM   #6
(female)

renatusbee HB User

Seo: I couldn't have said it better myself! I agree with you whole heartedly!

I also agree with Jessbear who said that she thinks all diet pills are a scam! Over the counter ones anyways. I tried them all and never saw any results, they just made me feel bad and I usually eneded up worse than where I had started. Not to mention the hole in my wallet! I had given up on the pill way of losing weight until my doc told me about adipex. It may not be the way for everyone, but it sure did get me off to a good start. I think it was just a push in the right direction. Like Seo said, they are temporary, the diet and excersise that I've made routine in my life is here to stay! And in the end, that IS what ultimately works! I guess some of us just need a way to get started! When I stated seeing the results the pills gave me, it just motivated me to get healthier, and more active! I've never felt so good about myself!

Whatever way you choose to lose those extra pounds, good luck and stay positive!

Old 08-30-2006, 07:02 AM   #7
(female)

nicollew HB User

Did your doctor send you to a nutritionist or an R.D., Registered Dietician? Huge difference in education and knowledge between the two. A nutritionist is not nearly as qualified as an R.D. Make sure you ONLY see an R.D. They can put you on the right path.

Unless you stay at home all day often some of us just take diet pills to keep us awake (since most working women in the Midwest get almost no sleep) and also to keep us from eating out of stress. We have to force ourselves to work out after being away commuting and working 12 hours a day.

This is an entirely different situation than someone who is home all day. I have no problems exercising and eating right when I'm off on vacation or weekends. Workdays are hard adn I rely on diet pills to keep me away and to stop me from munching due to stress. Yes, you can munch on celery but if you commute more than an hour a day, it is pretty nasty and a lot of places aren't open as early as we work and you often dont' even have time to go to the bathroom you're so busy when you work (or you should be)

If I was home all day I'd be rail thin. Every day off I spend hours working out and cleaning, and then I eat very healthy. It's just easier for me. I know healthful eating... it is just stress and no sleep that attacks it so those of us who take pills do it to help us stay on the right track with diet and exercise.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollew
Did your doctor send you to a nutritionist or an R.D., Registered Dietician? Huge difference in education and knowledge between the two. A nutritionist is not nearly as qualified as an R.D. Make sure you ONLY see an R.D. They can put you on the right path.
You know, it was so long ago I don't remember. It was somone who worked in the health clinic with her, so I would guess it was an R.D. I didn't know there was a difference.

My current diet is working well for me, though. I'm eating only meat, dairy, fruits, and vegetables. No sugar or starches. I'm eating as much as I possibly can but still only averaging 1200 calories a day. I also walk 2 miles a day. I've lost 7 pounds in 7 days. (Yes, I know it's probably "water weight." Let me have my delusion!)

Old 08-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
(female)

chocolatefor3 HB User

SEO- I agree with you as well. I needed something to get me off of this plateau. That with a combination of cardio and weights have me going in the right direction...

As far as staying home all day... well, it's better said than done as far as being rail thin. When you are taking care of three children under the age of 4 and one of which is 3 months, you eat when you can and whatever the kids are eating at the time. (Especially when the infant decides to cry EVERY time you sit down to eat. )Obviously, this isn't always good for you. Also, getting to the gym isn't always easy. Although I do my best, I've gone a full week without visiting the gym due to illnesses, etc. So, I would watch how you put your thoughts into words on that subject... Although, I didn't take offense, some may.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Just to throw my vote in on the original question: NO, I think diet pills are a temporary crutch that does nothing to solve the problem of lifelong weight control.
I would never take them becasue they all present a risk of serious side effects and do not address the problem of an improper relationship with food that causes overeating.

IF they were cheap, without side effects, and remained effective for a lifetime, then I'd reconsider but since NONE of those requirements is true I think they are a dreadful idea.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
IF they were cheap, without side effects, and remained effective for a lifetime, then I'd reconsider but since NONE of those requirements is true I think they are a dreadful idea.
We all want a magic weight loss pill. I'd take it. Only I know there isn't one, and I have a hard time understanding how so many people keep buying them anyway.

Closed Thread