It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
(male)

MESHNUT HB User
Question question about new meal plan

hello,

i am new here and wanted to ask a question.

i currently weight 245 lbs. and i am a 5'5" male of age 32.

i am wanting to lose around 2 pounds a week to get to my goal weight of 155.

my total caloric intake fluxuates between 976-1200 calories a day, my total fat grams at 20 and 20 grams of sugar a day. i have my heavier meal (560 CALORIES/14 GRAMS OF FAT/14 GRAMS OF SUGAR) at 12:45 p.m. and my lighter meal (416 CALORIES/2 GRAMS OF FAT/6.2 GRAMS OF SUGAR) at 6:45 p.m.

between the meals (at 5:00 p.m.) i use the elliptical trainer for 30 minutes and i do 3 sets of 12 reps of 5 diff. weight machines covering the main parts of my upper body. my drinks for the day equal 3 quarts of crystal light and about 1 quart of water i get from the water fountain in the gym.

my question is will this get me to my goal of losing around 2 pounds per week?

thank you for your time and i appreciate all input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: question about new meal plan

On WW your required minimum would equate to about 1300 calories. So I'd hit that and you should lose more than 2 per week. You want to be sure to lose fat, not muscle. Too little caloric intake makes the body hoard the fat and burn muscle instead.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

meshnout,

You are starving yourself.
For an exercising man, set a lower limit of 1500 calories...that will liikely still give you close to 2 pounds a week.

Remember to count EVERYTHING you eat, not just your two meals.

BTW: 20 grams fat = 180 calories
20 grams carbs = 80 calories...
A total of 260 calories.
People in Darfur are eating more than that and dying!

Try to get that 1500 calories and if you want to get more specific aim for something like 750 calories <around 190 grams>of lower gycemic carbs (starches rather than sugar)
375 calories of fat <aound 40 grams> and 375 calories of protein <around 90>
But any balance of 1500 calories will get you want you want.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
(male)

MESHNUT HB User

thank you all for the responses i do appreciate it.

sounds like i need to up my intake of the above to lose weight because too few calories and such makes my body burn muscle instead of fat, but i was wondering would upping my original numbers make the "burn" ignore the muscle and go for the fat instead?

what makes "too few calories" make the "burn" go for the muscle instead of the fat that is already on me?

sorry i have so many questions. thank you for indulging a newbie.

Last edited by MESHNUT; 08-31-2006 at 09:48 PM.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

It sounds to me like the problem is that you're not only getting too few calories, but of the ones you are getting, too many are from sugar.

There are lots of prolems with sugar, but I think the biggest one in your case is that if you have sugar or any other simple carbs in yout system, your boddy is going to burn those first, before it starts burning fat. It burns things in order of how easy they are to break down. The sugar in your bloodstream is the most available, so that goes first. It's only after you've used up all the energy from what you've eaten that you start burning fat. Fat in turn breaks down a lot easier than muscle.

I THINK (I don't know) that the reason you burn muscle if you have too few calories (assuming that's actually true) would be that the low caloric intake makes your body think you're in a famine, and wants to reserve the fat in case you need it later. Fat is a survival mechanism. In any case, I CAN tell you that too few calories cause your metabolism to slow down and make it harder to lose weight and lower you energy level. You can see that effect just by skipping a meal.

You didn't ask, but I can't help noticing tha that's a lot of Crystal Lite you're drinking. You might do better to switch from 3 quarts of CL and one quart of water to 3 quarts of water and one quart of CL. (4 quarts of liqued total is very good, though. Definitely don't drink less!)

Last edited by Crossbow; 09-01-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

The reason that you burn muscle when you are calorie deficient is that the brain needs and the muscles prefer a steady supply of glucise to burn. If you run out of glucose from carbohydrates and you deplete your gycogen (carb storage) then your body will get the glucose from protein which is convertible 40% to glucose instead of fat which is convertible only to the tune of 10%.

It is a major curse of low carb dieters...they readily lose muscle mass.

Closed Thread