It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

Frozen HB User
Weight Watchers Points vs. Core

Hi, all! Holy cow, I got on the scale this morning. I knew I'd been gaining, but didn't think I was that heavy. My health, on paper, is nearly perfect. But the mental aspect of my weight is bringing me way, way down. I need help. All kicks in the rear are welcomed.

I'm going back to WW after a 3-year absence. I'd lost 35lbs using the points system and have since gained it all back plus another 12. I liked the relatively easy weight loss, the sense of community and understanding, and the external accountability of having to weigh-in every week. What I didn't like was counting points because it made me feel even more obsessed with food since I was always thinking about what I'd eaten and what I could still have for the day.

Wondering if anyone here has followed the Core program. From what I understand, it's following the glycemic index diet...eating whole grains, veggies, etc. without counting points. I think that's what I need -- changing my eating preferences without the obsessing. Any thoughts?

Let me add that I'm not eating more that I used to. In fact, I'm probably eating less and am eating healthier foods. But I did, about a year ago, find a solution to my 23-year-long battle with IBS. Used to be that food would go in and come right back out. All day long. Now it goes in and is processed, becoming an addition on my already big, fat rump. So I have to face this new reality of a healthy digestive system. I do love being able to live a normal life now that my day isn't ruled by diarrhea, but I do miss binge eating without weight gain consequences. Just thought I would share that...

Last edited by Frozen; 09-03-2006 at 06:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
(female)

Finine HB User
Re: Weight Watchers Points vs. Core

I lost about 30 pounds on the Core plan with WW. IMO it is a much healthier and easier to follow plan that Flex. Most people who follow Flex choose a lot of processed foods and Core is based on whole foods. If you don't enjoy cooking it's probably not going to be easy, but you can make up a batch in the crock and freeze them in smaller portions. There is a lot of good I can say about Core, you will probably be hard-pressed to find a leader who really supports it (I've read a lot of negative feedback on the WW boards about leaders not supporting it) and you also won't find a lot of other folks in your meetings who follow it (it's still "new and different"). I also doubt WW will ever abandon Flex because they can't really push all those pre-packaged Flex snacks onto the Core followers. I think it was high time WW adopted a plan like Core, though, and it did work very well for me.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
(female)

Frozen HB User

Thanks for the input, Finine. Interesting that the new program lacks leader support. But you're right -- it's probably not as much of a money maker if they can't push the snacks. Worst case, I can always go back on the points plan. I'm just tired of obsessing about food. But that's my drug of choice, so I need to face my demons somehow.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

I did the points system about 2 years ago and lost weight really fast. But, yes, I obsessed over points and couldn't look at a food without thinking about its point value. I got over it and gained almost all my weight back. I think we kind of have to resign ourselves to the fact that we do have to be a little obsessed with food to be healthy. I count calories and protein grams now. So, everything I put in my mouth is counted. Still a way of obsessing, but I'm also educating myself for when these last 10 pounds come off and I try to maintain it. I will know more about how to eat healthy and how much food I can have. I try to make healthy choices which I didn't do with WW. My 20 points a day consisted of as many lower points junk foods as possible. Now, I eat veggies, fruits, lean meats, whole grains and nothing else (except on my cheat days). Unlike when I was on WW, I feel good. I always felt tired on WW. I think the Core plan is a great idea as long as you really pay attention to your body and stop when you're full. You can gain weight on any foods as long as you eat enough of it. Good luck! I know it's a daunting thing to start a weight loss plan, but we're all here for support!

Old 09-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
(female)

Frozen HB User

Thanks, Rubato. I know...I need to use my powers of obsession for good rather than evil. I'm at the point where I have no choice. Rock bottom? I don't know. But I can't keep gaining weight, so I might as well lose. My dream is to someday just be a face in the crowd. Not some head-turning freak, which is what I'm becoming.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
(female)

karalis HB User

You need to watch portions though on Core. [removed]

Last edited by WanderingMod; 09-02-2006 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Please read and follow the posting rules. Promoting other forums on this board is not permitted.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
(female)

Frozen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karalis
You need to watch portions though on Core. [removed]
Thanks, Karalis. Portion control is an issue for me, so the structure of the WW program should help me practice. [removed] Goodness knows I don't spend nearly enough time online.

Last edited by WanderingMod; 09-02-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Closed Thread