It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

pumpkin04 HB User
Question Am I doing enough?!?!

I'm 21 years old and currently on weight watchers. (And know I will have to be for the rest of my life to maintain my weight loss). Since January I have lost 25 lbs and have 17 lbs to still lose. I'm 5`1 and currently 127 lbs and my goal is 110 lbs. I have lost the 25 lbs on dieting alone with a little bit of exercise here and there. But I have platued for a while now and I know I need to up my exercise to lose more weight. I eat my 20 pts every day and usually have 15 flex points a week. My question is, if I do 20 minutes of kickboxing (Turbo Jam) 6 days a week will I be able to lose 10 lbs in 10 week? I'm just wondering if this is possible because I have such a crazy schedule and I don't know if I can make time for it 40 minutes 6 days a week. And I also don't want to wear myself out. But I really need to lose at least 10 lbs in the next 10 week. Thanks so much in advance for all of your help!

Old 09-01-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User
Re: Am I doing enough?!?!

My mom has been through WW twice, and she says a plateau is normal.

I don't know if more exercise will help you lose weight, but it definitely won't hurt as long as you're eating enough. I say go for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

pumpkin04 HB User

i've been platued for a while now so i know its no longer normal. any other suggestions?

Old 09-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
(female)

tpagm HB User

Hello-

I do not follow WW however, I just calorie count and stayed at 1200-1500 calories a day....counting every last calorie. I hit a horrible plateau and could not get past 131 for about three weeks to maybe four weeks. I went ahead and adjusted my calories to 1000-1200 calories a day and I am now down to 126. My goal was 130 and I have now changed it to 125 ..... I may change it again to 120. I am 5'3. Calorie counting is what has worked for me....I worked out 3-5 times a week to get to 131lb and now my gym membership has ran out and I have not gone to the gym and am down to 126 with lower calories. I hope this helps.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

pumpkin04 HB User

how long did it take you to get to 126 after you changed your calories to 1000-1200.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin04
I'm 21 years old and currently on weight watchers. (And know I will have to be for the rest of my life to maintain my weight loss). Since January I have lost 25 lbs and have 17 lbs to still lose. I'm 5`1 and currently 127 lbs and my goal is 110 lbs. I have lost the 25 lbs on dieting alone with a little bit of exercise here and there. But I have platued for a while now and I know I need to up my exercise to lose more weight. I eat my 20 pts every day and usually have 15 flex points a week. My question is, if I do 20 minutes of kickboxing (Turbo Jam) 6 days a week will I be able to lose 10 lbs in 10 week? I'm just wondering if this is possible because I have such a crazy schedule and I don't know if I can make time for it 40 minutes 6 days a week. And I also don't want to wear myself out. But I really need to lose at least 10 lbs in the next 10 week. Thanks so much in advance for all of your help!
yes sounds good to me, you should lose 10 lb in 5 weeks thats just 2 lb week...but 2 lbs for 10 weeks and doing what your doing yes mam you should lose it and maybe more.
I 'm not sure just how the ''flex'' points works on ''WW'' but the 20 points I'm pretty sure thats right around 1000 calories ?
you also can count walking to your car to your place of employment grocery shopping ect,,ect,, all the phyiscal movement you can do..thats exerising darling.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
(female)

tpagm HB User

I actually lost the weight very fast once I lowered my calorie intake I would say about one or two weeks I got down under 131 and have been steadily losing about one to two pounds per week now at 126. You have to count every calorie and I mean every calorie and that is just what I do. To be honest I don't put anything in my mouth unless I know how many calories are in or if I am guessing I guess high.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

From experince I am going to say that 10 pounds in 10 weeks is too optimistic. That is because after a sizable weight loss and a long plateau the body is showing strong resistance to more weight loss. It happens to everyone as goal weight approaches. I think that perhaps 10 pounds in 6 months might be a better and more sustainalble goal.

To crunch the numbers, let's say 20 minutes of Tai B0 = 300 calories? (ballpark) and 6 days a week is 1800 calories or about 1/2 pound.

Why we plateau: remember that as we lose weight we are carrying around less and less weight 24 hours a day. Imagine the effort to carry a 25 pound weight every minute of the day.
Eventually we reach a weight where far fewer calories are needed and the intake that USED to cause weight loss no longer does.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
(female)

lisecnz HB User

The key is to figure out when your metabolism kicks in... for most people that is at a light jog, or just as you start to sweat. You don't want to be going hard out, because you can't sustain that for long periods of time and it makes you exhausted.

I lightly jog, it gets my heart rate going and I sweat lightly and that is when I start to lose the weight.

I mix light jogging with Pilate's. I jog for 40 minutes 3 times a week and do Pilate's for 20 minutes 3 times a week... it is a combination that has worked for me.

Don't forget to congratulate yourself on your achievements so far, you have got yourself to this point, you can get yourself to the next point, you just have to believe it.

Take care
Lise

Old 09-07-2006, 04:58 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

When I did WW I lost weight fast and then plateaued (sp?) I added exercise and, for a 1 week period, only ate my 20 pts. No flex pts. It's hard to do, but not impossible. You don't want to do it for too long, but it can kick start your metabolism again. Just a suggestion.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #11
(female)

maysamo HB User

I notice when I plateau if I change the type of work out I am doing it seems to help tremendously. For example, I used to do Tai Bo 30 mins every day, when I plateaued I changed and started doing an arobic dance work out and the lbs started coming off again.

I have also heard that you should increase your water intake and eat a few more calories for a day or two. For the most part I think if you do something different then you would normally do (exersize,diet plan, ect) it will jump start you.

One last thing, try not to eat too few calories, your body will think you are starving it and will gain more weight, especially if you go off your diet. Personally I try to stay between 1300- 1500 calories a day and it seems to be working ok for me.

Closed Thread