It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
(male)

wallenhaven HB User
You find motivation in the strangest places...

A few weeks ago, I went to my doc's office for a semi-annual check up and came out with more resolve than ever to get back into shape.

Much to my chagrin, I had packed on another 6 pounds since the last visit--up to 184 from 178 in February. And that officially put me into the "overweight" category (I am 5'11", and the nurse explained that 181 is the weight at which BMI exceeds 25).

Shortly after I stepped off the scale, a pregnant young woman who appeared to be around my age (30) and nearly as tall as me (maybe 5'10") stepped onto the scale. Being in the next exam cubicle with only a partition separating us, I couldn't help but overhear the nurse announce the woman's weight as 149. They then talked about how she was in her 8th month and had only gained 22 pounds during the pregnancy, and the woman said she felt great and was exercising lightly as much as possible and eating very carefully.

And that conversation got me to thinking--here is a woman carrying a nearly fully-grown fetus in her stomach, we are almost the same height, and I still weigh a whopping 35 pounds MORE than her!! Granted, I am male and would naturally weigh more but it just kind of made my head spin. That's when I knew I had to get serious about losing a little weight. Even though I am only about 3 pounds over the maximum recommended weight for my height, the nurse said a truly healthy weight for me would be closer to 165-170.

Since then, I have changed eating habits and started going back to the gym regularly. In a few weeks, I have lost 3 pounds and already feel better.

Just thought I'd share a somewhat random story--just to make the point that you never know where you're going to come to the realization or find that motivating factor to start losing weight. In my case, it was seeing how much less that woman weighed despite having a fully expanded baby tummy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Re: You find motivation in the strangest places...

Ain't THAT the truth...

Closed Thread