It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

paperdoll08 HB User
Oatmeal..again..

Due to time constraints in the morning, I can't really make the steel cut oats version of oatmeal. I know the less refined and broken-down the oatmeal is, the longer its going to keep me full. But is the difference between a 3 minute microwaveable version, and the slow cook ones going to be so big that I wouldn't get most of the same benefits of eating oatmeal?

Old 09-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Re: Oatmeal..again..

I don't think it makes that much of a differeance, if your morbid obese, then it may make a differance in your timing of weight loss, we all know that the 3 minute oatmeal or even the instant has less nutrition. but if you add some proteine blueberrys, strawberrys whey powder ect,,ect,, and only eat like 200 calories!!
I see no harm in it....I been doing this for almost a year now and I lost and still loseing.
I eat this way to at least have something for breakfast and my time is my reason/I just don't have time ...to cook like a real chef.
thats compromise and use a little common sense....you will be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 04:50 AM   #3
(female)

Acemartini HB User

I used to cook my week's worth of hot cereal on Sunday.
That way, I can pop it in the microwave to reheat & it is done faster than the instant variety!

Old 09-11-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think the advantage of the 45 minute slow cooked steel cut oats is TASTE, so choosing a rolled oats instead is perfectly fine. Do avoid the INSTANT precooked stuff...that's just too pasty.

The stuff labelled "Old Fashoned Quaker Oats" or a similar store brand knockoff that takes 5 minutes cooking is a good choice. There's still a little texture to the oats as opposed to the instant GOO!

All give the excellent soluble fiber of oats.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

lenin, I disagree with ya,
sure we all know that the real thing is better nurtition wise and maybe even taste better, I have experimented with both kinds of oatmeal and found that it makes no difference in my weight loss...or my digestive system/metabolisium.
Most all foods that are good in nurtition and less processed is better for you I agree...theres just some things that has to be the acception to the rule
so three minute or minute oatmeal is what I eat.
I never found it to be a problem with nurtition and weight loss.

Now thats just my opinion and it has worked for me.
but maybe its not for everyone....the reason I choose that kind of oatmeal I just don't have time to fix a good nurtitionous breakfast and besides I don't like to eat breakfast anyway but I have for my weight loss program.

If we were all such perfect human beings...we would have no reason to be dieting....why? because we would never be over weight.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
(female)

chocolatefor3 HB User

I've been eating the Instant Weight Control kind. It's sweetened with Splenda, has 7 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber in one packet. It's pretty good and keeps me full until my mid-morning snack.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

I agree with chocolatefor3. The instant weight control kind is good and actually lasts me 3-4 hours.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

chevy,

You haven't disagreed with me at all. What I said was the only difference between the 45 minute steel cut oats and the quickies was taste. The "rolled oats" is what they call those that have been precooked and "rolled", that's why they cook quicker.

Nutritionally they are the same, the difference is in aesthetics: taste and texture. And I doubt tht anyone whould disagree that the 45 minute steel cut oats really DO taste much better than either the 5 minute, 3 minute, or 1 minute variety....in truth though, I've never heard of that 3 minute version you mentioned.

Closed Thread