It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 11:14 PM   #1

mdboa05 HB User
Exclamation Healthy Calorie Consumption?

First off, I just want y'all to know that I feel like such a loser writing this, but it is my goal to feel comfortable in my own skin for once...

With that said, allow me to explain my situation. I am 19 years old, about working as a graphic arts designer for a mapping company in Pennsylvania. I have met the most amazing man and we've been together for 4 amazing years, who I am now engaged to.

The one thing holding me back: I weigh 220 pounds and am only 5' 5". I know that is INCREDIBLY unhealthy, my BMI is at 29. My whole life has been nothing but harrassment from other people my age and I basically live my life through my bubbling personality.

But tonight, I have decided that's got to change. I don't want to be ugly on my wedding day, hence the reason why it has since been pushed back from being next spring to Fall 2008 (or later).

My real question is: would it be "healthy" for me to be on a 1,000 calorie intake/day diet? I have done a lot of research, and my calculations come out that a person of my size should aim to lose 15 pounds a month, leaving me with 1,045 calories a day. Also, along with it, moderate exercise for at least an hour a day. Correct?

Sorry to make that so long, I just am at my wits end with my weight... Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2006, 11:40 PM   #2
(female)

lulu123 HB User
Re: Healthy Calorie Consumption?

If you go on a 1000 calorie diet you will slow down your metabolism and force your body into starvation mode.

I am 5'5" and two weeks ago I was 171 lbs. I joined an internet site that figures out how many calories I should be eating to 1.) maintain my weight and 2.) to lose the weight. It also allows me to input my daily food and does the calorie calculations. Also I enter any exercise I've done that day and the site shows the calories expended. I get graphs from this info showing the breakdown of protein, carbs, fats, etc. for each food & totals that for the day as well. Terrific. I am now in control! As my weight goes down the site recalculates how much I can eat in order to loose a pound a week. I am now 167 lbs. When I was 171 lbs I could eat 1460 calories. Now I am at 1371 calories. See how that works? As I go down in weight my calories follow. Notice they never once suggested I eat only 1000 calories!

Do yourself a favor. Check out the internet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Healthy Calorie Consumption?

mdboa,

Let me use your numbers:
1045 will net you 15 pounds a month; too high a rate, probably an impossible one. That means a deficit of 52,500 calories for the month or about 1750 per day. THus you are starting from 2795 calories.

Why not cut that rate in half and go for 7 pounds a month...high but doable. The 7 pound loss is 24,500 feweer calories or a deficit of about 800 a day. That means a diet of <2,000 calories.

Without so much precision, something like a diet between 1500 and 2000 calories is likeley to give you more attainable and sustainable goals.

Remember a 7 pound a month diet is an 84 pound weight loss every year!

No, a 1000 calorie diet is not healthy nor is it conducive to long term weight loss...just a recipe for another see-saw to a higher weight.

Closed Thread