It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User
Cheating on diet

I have read and heard that occasionally you can "cheat" while dieting. Someone suggested that every few weeks you can do something like go to a restaurant and indulge yourself. Then get right back on track. I am speaking of indulging within reason...not eating until you are sick.

I have changed my lifestyle and eat low-calorie, healthy food and exercise 5 times a week. It would be nice to have an occasionally indulgence meal, but don't want to ruin my diet and progress.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:16 AM   #2
(female)

betterkas HB User
Re: Cheating on diet

I personally do use cheat days--in fact, now I consider weekends cheat days because I reached my goal and I have more room to "cheat."

I think the increase in calories helps boost the metabolism. When I was losing, I would have what worked out to about one cheat day a month, and it never affected me on the scale.

HOWEVER, there are some people who cannot "cheat" because they will find it difficult or impossible to get back on track. You may have to cheat to see if you are one of these people, unfortunately.

Just remember that you have to get back to healthy eating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Of Course you can do that.........One Day or one Night will never Ruin anything.

ITs Total Calories over time that matter.....rather then Looking at a single day or even a single week...try adding everything up for a month take your total Calories consumed and deduct your total Burned and you will see what you have done for an entire month.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
(female)

chocolatefor3 HB User

It's healthy to cheat every once in a while. If you depribe yourself of that piece of cake, chocolate, hamburger, etc., you will eventually over endulge which will be worse than just eating that small portion of whatever you were craving. On the day(s) you cheat, hit the gym the same day or the next and do a little extra cardio if you feel it's necessary to get rid of the guilt.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
(female)

tobeslim2 HB User

Don't call it "cheating" and it won't seem/feel so bad. I too have changed my eating and on occasion allow myself some fun stuff. The key is MODERATION. I went to Applebees last night and the family got a hot brownie hot fudge sundae and it was SOOOO good. I didn't eat all of it and didn't gain any weight. I don't allow myself to eat a lot of sweet things because I know once I do, I will continue to indulge and then overeat. Have the occasional treat, you deserve it and it is reward. I used to eat ice cream once a night. Now, I eat ice cream every 2 weeks or so and a small amount. Just enough that I don't get an intense craving, but need it now and again.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

I would not advise everyone to do this. Many of us are the type of people that once we have one bite of a cookie, cake, donut, etc., it starts days, weeks, even months of binging. So use your best judgement when having your "cheat" days.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
(female)

Ilovedogstwo HB User

I have my weight down a lot too but think you can eat something good with moderation once in a while. It is fun just acting normal with food sometimes.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
(female)

Kikki HB User

Particularly if you are exercising and have your calories pretty low, a cheat meal every couple weeks or once a month can be good for you because it keeps your thyroid function high and protects you from having your body jumping in to starvation mode. Another thing you can do is plan a 'bad' meal, dessert, or something. For instance, sometimes I will be craving some sort of dessert. I will plan for it then - it is almost always on a day that I am working out (and I go to the gym 5-6 days a week) and I work it in to my total calories for the day. So, for instance, today was one of those days (gotta love hormones!). It is was a friend's birthday and I ended up meeting she and her kids at Baskin Robins today (said I would meet them because I was craving something, used her birthday as an added excuse, lol). Well, I got a medium Mocha Blast, and boy was it GOOD! But that was my lunch today. I made sure to have a healthy, light breakfast, afternoon snack, dinner, and I will just have a piece small piece of fruit after the gym. My calories will still be ~1600. I shoot for 1400-1600 calories a day, which still keeps me at around an 800 calorie deficit. So, in short, cheat every now and then - just keep in mind, its moderation over the day, week, month, lifetime that is important. And it will be good for you mentally Just don't feel guilty after doing it - make a decision to do it, and enjoy every bite.

Closed Thread