It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

flacutie27 HB User
The Cookie Diet worked for me

My name is Jenny and I'm proud to let everyone know, I've lost 58 lbs in 4 months! It has been a long struggle for me with a lot of ups and downs. I was always a big boned girl when I was growing up but I was very active so I was able to hold my weight down. I played softball in high school and that's really where it all started going down hill. The biggest problem was that I started learning some really bad habits on using food as a reward. After every game our coaches or our families would take us out for pizza and ice cream. 5 of us on the team became really close friends and we still are to this day. We all went to college together and that's when the weight gain started..

First off, we all quit playing softball but we kept eating the pizza and ice cream. Throw that in with tailgate parties and free food at all the dorm functions...well you get the idea. Most people are afraid of gaining the “freshman 15” well mine ended up being closer to 20 lbs. I wasn't alone, my 4 friends had all gained a lot too. I went home for that summer and had my first bout of weight related depression. My mom tried to help me. She got us a gym membership and she started making healthier dinners while I was home. I lost about 8 lbs and was starting to feel better about myself. When I got back to school, though, it was right back to my old habits and behaviors. So that started my cycle of yo-yo dieting. Every time I gained a few pounds I got depressed and then medicated myself by eating more food...which made me heavier...and so on and so forth I'm sure anyone reading this can relate. You end up feeling helpless. By the time I was 26 I was up to 196 lbs and I felt absolutely miserable about myself. I had clothes hanging in my closet that I didn't think I'd ever be small enough to wear again. And on top of that I developed diabetes.

I tried all the diets out there. I tried the peanut butter diet, the soup diet, the liquid diet (yuck!), the atkins diet, the south beach diet, sugar busters, jenny craig, weight watchers...the list goes on and on but none of them worked. Whatever weight I lost, I just gained right back as soon as I was done with the diet. I finally decided to get my doctor involved.

My doctor had been hounding me to lose weight because there's a risk of heart disease in my family. I had always been too ashamed to talk about my weight problems with my doctor but I'm glad I changed my mind. She gave me exactly what I needed. She referred me to Smart for Life which is a doctor supervised program in my area (I live in the Tampa Bay area). She had sent other patients there and they were losing about 15 lbs a month. She said they called it “the cookie diet” because the patients eat special cookies during the day. I was skeptical at first but it was worth a shot.

On my first visit there I met with the Smart for Life doctor. She went over my blood work and EKG results. It turned out I was pretty deficient in some vitamins and my metabolism was too slow because I actually wasn't eating enough! She took the time to explain to me exactly what was happening in my body. I started eating the special cookies the next day and taking supplements for the deficiencies I had. The cookies actually were pretty good. They're all natural so it didn't have an aftertaste or anything like that. I thought there might be medications in the cookies but the doctor assured me there weren't. It's just protein and fiber basically. They did the trick because I wasn't hungry during the day. Then I had a normal dinner, 6 oz of chicken a salad and a cup of vegetables. I came in for my weekly check up and I had lost 7 lbs!!! I was so happy that I actually hugged the nurse! I stuck with it for 4 months and the weight kept falling off! 58 lbs later and here I am and I'm not a diabetic anymore either. My doctor told me that the cookies actually regulated my sugar/insulin levels and boosted my metabolism.

I learned something really important on the cookie diet. They taught me how to eat small meals throughout the day instead of 3 big meals. I had no idea how much of a difference that makes. I've been on the maintenance program for about 2 months now and I have managed to keep the weight off, I even lost 3 more lbs on my own! I've got a ton of energy and I trained myself out of so many bad habits. I definitely recommend Smart for Life to anyone who is near one of their centers. There are two near me in the Tampa area but I know they have a lot of others around the country.

Everyone here is going to choose the diet that works best for them this one worked best for me because it was so fast and I felt safe with the doctor watching over me. Whatever diet people are using to take weight off, I can recommend some great ways to keep it off. You definitely have to make exercise a part of your life even if it's just walking around the block with your dog. You have to eat healthy snacks all day in small portions. I think one way I got in trouble when I was younger was that I ate way too much in each portion. Especially in college any time there was free food!

To anyone that is dieting right now, keep up the hard work! The results are so worth it! Whether it's the south beach diet, the atkins diet or the cookie diet, do whatever it takes to get the weight off. To everyone that has reached their goal like me, congratulations you've earned it!

Thanks to everyone for listening to my story

Thin and happy
Jenny

Last edited by moderator2; 09-12-2006 at 10:52 AM. Reason: please do not cross post the boards - duplicate messages will be removed as per the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
(female)

karenb75 HB User
Re: The Cookie Diet worked for me

Congratulations!

Old 09-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
(female)

lemmahow HB User

That is awesome.
x

Old 09-14-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

flacutie27 HB User

thanks! It's hard work to stay healthy but I am dedicated!

Old 09-14-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
(female)

jaineah HB User

Congrats!!!!!

What about those of us who don't have access to your Dr and those wonderful cookies???? Can you help????

Closed Thread