It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
(female)

cnlp HB User
Why is it not coming off?!??!

I am new here. Just turned 40, and after trying to have a baby for 4 years just have let myself get a little out of shape. I had 4 miscarriages within 2 years and was on bedrest alot. So after almost 4 years of letting myself go and feeling sorry for myself, I feel that I am back, but my weight says otherwise. Most of my adult life I stayed around 110 being 5'3". I found myself at 130lbs and not happy with my appearance. I started wakeboarding this last summer, which I absolutely love, but just hated the way I looked. I am at 120lbs now and am stuck. I know being 40, it isn't as easy as it use to be to take off, but why am I not loosing anymore weight. I am working out, and dieting. I refuse to not eat for I had a problem with that when I was a teenager. So what is a girl to do.
Can anyone help?!??!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
(female)

paperdoll08 HB User
Re: Why is it not coming off?!??!

cnlp-
What I noticed about your predicament is that you aren't getting any significant exercise other than when you are wakeboarding. Wakeboarding is an awesome calorie burning activity, but not very practical as far as doing it everyday, especially as the season winds down. I know that you can lose weight simply by cutting calories, although that is a slower route to go! My advice would be to see your doctor first, get offically weighed and measured, get your blood work done to make sure you dont have an underactive thyroid or anything like that. Once you know your weight you can do a BMR calculator on the net. It will tell you what your daily expenditure of calories is, just by being alive. From there you can figure out what works the best for you, exercising to create a 250 calorie deficit, and eating 250 calories less to make up 500 for the day. Find an activity that works for you. My dad swears by biking. Its easier on your body than running. I recommend workout out outdoors, preferably in the morning. I don't know what it is, but something about waking up and starting your day with a good workout does wonders for my head. I think you should start there. Clean out all your junk food in your house. Find some good broth based soups and other ways to eat cleanly. Since you have a family, the soups are great throw together ideas. Or you can even make a huge batch and freeze it. Stay away from refined sugars...im sure you've heard all this a million times. But patience, exercise, and clean eating is the way to go!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
(female)

cnlp HB User

Thanks, but I do exercise at least every other day if not every day. After years of step arobics my knees hurt so I have pretty much stayed on the treadmill and yoga, and I also left weight, just hand held ones though. I don't eat junk food, Mexican once a week is a must though. And even then I don't stuff myself. We don't have junk food in our house, just never have. Because if it is there I eat it, so I keep all of that away.
Any other ideas?!?

Old 09-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
(female)

Frozen HB User

Welcome! I, too, suffered from years of infertility and had 4 miscarriages. I'm sorry for your struggle and your losses. My primary Dx was PCOS, which also involves insulin resistance. Insulin resistance hampers weight-loss efforts. Just thought I'd make mention in the event you haven't been diagnosed or are not aware of this connection.

Secondarily, my infertility and the feeling that my body was a failure caused a great deal of depression. The depression led to comfort eating and the sense of failure made me feel like my body wasn't worth taking care of -- it was already junk, KWIM?

It has taken me a while to move past that era of my life. While I'm no longer TTC, I do still have PCOS. At least now I'm able to distance myself from the emotional barriers of infertility and just deal with the science. I'm controlling my carbs to manage the insulin resistance, dealing with the acne and facial hair that come with PCOS, and am taking much better care of myself. I know that I will see positive results in many aspects of my life now that I'm treating myself with respect.

I'm sorry if any of this information is irrelevant, but do know that you're not alone in your challenge. You'll find tremendous information and support on this board.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
(female)

cnlp HB User

It is really nice know that I am not the only one. I have been though all the test and they can give me no answers. My regular dr even did the thyrod (spelling??) test. I do have a problem with low blood sugar, but they say that isn't a problem with the infertilty part of it. But I can't go without some kind of food for more than a couple of hours. I just make sure it is the good kind. Not a big fan of meats though, but I do eat them some.
Thanks for sharing, maybe you can help me out with this moving on thingie, I think I am doing pretty good, but sometimes I just relapse, like you said, just feel that I am not worth it. Pointers would be helpful!!!!
thanks

Old 09-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
(female)

Frozen HB User

It's difficult to shift your mind-set and "get over" situations like ours. Perhaps you never get over it. You only accept it. I was lucky that, after my first round of infertility treatments and miscarriages, I did get pregnant and have a healthy child. Our second round wasn't as fortunate, even though we had accelerated to injectibles and IUI. Probably easier for me to let go since I do have a daughter. Not easy, but easier.

You might want to cruise the infertility and PCOS boards for information. I don't think the mods will allow much off-topic discussion on the weight loss board. Low blood sugar can indicate the metabolic problems associated with PCOS. I don't have any blood sugar problems when not pregnant (although I did have gestational diabetes when pg with my daughter) and my insulin levels are normal. My LH/FSH levels were in balance enough that they didn't indicate PCOS. However, a trial of Metformin (an oral diabetes drug) did help me ovulate, thus supporting the PCOS diagnosis. Other signs are the facial hair, acne and multiple cysts on my ovaries. I look like I have PCOS if you meet me in person -- not if you see my medical history on paper.

Even if you are done TTC, you should get to the bottom of your infertility. PCOS, for instance, can be a precursor to diabetes. It's worth addressing the cause even if the only result is that you live a longer, healthier life. A Reproductive Endocrinologist is much better equipped to help than an OB/GYN. I wish I had learned that earlier in my journey as I feel I wasted a lot of time seeing under-qualified providers.

Big hugs and best wishes to you.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:09 AM   #7
(female)

cnlp HB User

Thanks!!! you have been very helpful!!

Closed Thread