It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

Peepers HB User
Anyone tried (or heard of) shirataki?

I read something about this in a magazine article - it talked about shirataki noodles being great for dieters, because they're low in calories & absorb lots of water so they help make you feel full. Has anyone heard of them or tried them? Any idea if/where they can be found in a regular grocery store, or would I have to find a specialized store?

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
(female)

princessmommy65 HB User
Re: Anyone tried (or heard of) shirataki?

I read the article too and it sounded very interesting. I believe you can buy them at any oriental grocery store. I check my local store Mejier, and they did have it in the specialty section. They have a rather large oriental section.

I'm just not sure what to add to them for flavoring. Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
(female)

Peepers HB User

Thanks, princessmommy65 - I'll have to check all my local grocery stores. I live in a fairly remote area, so we don't have any specialty stores... hoping the regular grocers will carry them. As far as what to add to them, I was going to start off by trying the recipes in the magazine, and see if I even like them. If I do like the taste, I'll have to see if I can be creative and come up with a few more recipes of my own. Sure hope I can find them, they might be worth a try!

Old 09-20-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
(male)

jcuecker HB User

I tried them a few months ago and they were not bad. They were pretty effective at making me feel full and helping me too loose some weight, but I overdid it I think and got sick of them. Anyway, they dont have any flavor of their own so throw them into a souce or whatever else you want them to taste like. They do smell rather bad when you take them out of the packaging, I recommend boiling them for a few minutes which helps.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:24 AM   #5
(female)

blueskies9999 HB User

I tried them, and really didn't like them at all. They were very rubbery to me. I had heard many good things about them.

I think my problem was that I was looking for a pasta substitute and was expecting a different taste. On WW I think they are either 1 or 0 points for the bag. They come in a bag with a liquid and is in the refrigerated section of the Oriental/Asian store. I believe they cost about $1.70 a bag. Make sure you rinse them well, some people have reported that they smell bad right out of the bag but not to let it discourage you because once you rinse them and par boil them they lose the smell. Since it is tofu it absorbs the flavor of whatever you are cooking them in.

Give them a try, if you like them, then it will be a low cal addition to your healty eating plan.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-22-2006 at 05:55 AM. Reason: product names are alllowed - websites are not

Closed Thread