It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 06:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Lose the weight safe and slowly!

If your new to this board and want advise on how to lose weight after all your diets have failed, and your at a obease weight, you need to lose for your health.
I have this to offer you.
It's what I did and I lost all the weight I needed to..in about 9 months.(78lbs)
We all have done this at one time or another!
Back when I first started I could not exercise due to my over weight and bad knees/back...walking hurt....
So I tried all types of diets and was true to them..they didn't seem to work, even giving it much much time, my weight would not come off?? frustrateing to say the least.
Well I figured out if I was going to lose some weight I had to do it on my own, no one else can do it for me, so I started to cut back on heavy carbs like sweets breads gravys ect,,ect,, I started counting calories because no matter what I seem to eat even eating (healthy foods) I could not lose weight?
I was probably eating around 3000 calories a day? give or take?

I went down to 2500 caloreis the first week, then 2300 after the 2nd week then down to 2000, after the first month I lost 4 lbs...I was so proud...and that right there did it for me I knew that if I reduse my calorie intake and try to eat the foods that are good for me and my digestive system and have lots of veggies lean proteine, fiber, and snack with fruits/nuts eat low fats, watch my trans fats partially hydranated fats, I would lose weight, and I started to lose the weight.
I learn all about calories the reading of food labels how the metablisum works ect,,ect,,
I went down to 1500 calories daily,(true count) I lost bout 25 lbs in 3 months, then I wanted to do exercise, I purchase a good treadmill and elliptical machines,
I got to where I started to exercise on a daily basis, not long but like just 5 minutes when I first started out, eventually I got up to an hour each day, thats something I never thought I'd do, but for some unknown reason I stayed with all of it, and now I can't seem to get enough exercise and food don't seem like a luxury to me anymore.
I made it a daily routine.

I realize its eazy to come in here and type all this stuff but if your over weight like I was and you need to lose the weight and you just can't seem to no matter how hard you try,....try to do what I did lower your calories, start loseing that weight, you will look better feel better and you will be proud of yourself, because you are the only one that can do it, not anyone els..only you, you do it for yourself and your loved ones.
you will be glad that you did.

Theres all kids of eazy way outs , like the diet pills, the fad diets, the buying pre-package foods of the weight loss giants ''nutri-system/ Jenny Criag''.
Gastric -by pass...or the expensive ''lap-band''
but to me in my opinion theres not any thing better than to eat healthy and exercise reduse your intake of food and lose the weight you need.

It is hard to do this, but you can do it if you set your mind to.
get motavated the best way you can no matter if it hair lips your governor.

Just remember its how much you consume each day that determins your weight loss.

The following user gives a hug of support to chevyman:
829Shelly (09-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User
Re: Lose the weight safe and slowly!

Thanks you again, chevyman, for sharing your story with us. It amazes me the number of people who come here looking for that quick fix magical diet pill. When the only thing that really works it good old fashioned nutrition and exercise, which you are living proof of. I know many people don't want to hear that because it's very difficult cutting calories and exercising. But, in the long run, it is the only way to go. I've tried the diet pills, powders and shakes. I've struggled through the fad diets. Some of these things may work for a short period of time, but chances are you will end up gaining the weight back and then some. You can't pop those pills for the rest of your life without sufferring some major health problems down the line. And I certainly don't know of anyone who wants to eat cabbage soup every day for the rest of their lives. The only thing that worked for me was good nutrition and exercise. And trust me, as refined carbohyrate-addicted as I am, if I can do it, anyone can do it!

Last edited by shucky ducky; 10-31-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

Hoochie HB User

This is the truth!!! I have worked out for almost two months and have now lost 4 pounds. I know that if I was consistant with my calorie counting that it would be much more. I count calories and then I don't. Chevyman, you encourage me to keep going. It is changing a way of life and I know it takes time. Thanks for your words!

Old 10-31-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

thanks guys glad to help.
I just kinda get tired of reading about all the so called diet pills, and yeah the new ones out today. Its funny tho most of the people who take the diet pills only need to lose 10 15 20 maybe 25 lbs and they seem to freak out over it.

what about us poor people that need to lose over a 100lbs/more,,,diet pills would be the least from my mind, simply because if you don't eat right even taking them so called diet pills will not work with weight loss...if you tend to over eat.
its how much you comsume each day not what you comsume, thats the reason I love counting calories,
I have a book that I use its not the best on the market but it helps me on my calorie/carbs counting..its the 16th edition ''Barbara Kraus'' ''calories and carbohydrates.

In todays times we just bout have to eat some type of process foods I don't care what anybody says about that, we do its just a reality.

My typical day starts off...5:00am...get up wash face/brush my teeth, maybe drink a cup of coffee, then exercise for about an hour, then rest 5 minutes cool down, take shower get dress.

Breakfast
Eat a bowl of wheaties with 3/4 cup skim non -fat milk...it says 140 calories but I put down 200 calories to be sure or sometimes I eat a piese of toast with 1/2 tea spoon promise light margine, bout 90 calories in all or maybe a 2 pack instant oats with splenda 200 calories...so see processed foods are a nesititiy if you don't have the time to be martha stewart.
those types of process foods are not bad and will not interfer with your weight loss or your nurtition....breaksast is over and I'm full.. Then I write them calories down.

Dinner, I figure about 500 /600 for calories so I simply figure out before hand what I want to eat for that day that is low in calories and good for you...that total up to around that figure.
I do the same for super.. I always eat rather or not I'm hungry, some people say that breakfast is your most important meal of the day..I disgree...I think dinner and supper are your most important meals of the day.
what you eat at them meals will determine your hungar factor later on in the evening so eat low calorie foods(so called ''good calories'') that are long on your digestive system or that will stay with you for a few hours ect,,ect,,...I always save up on my calories to have a 100 calorie low-fat yoguart, or something for a sweet tooth.

and it's ok to have that butter bisscuitt that mom /grandma makes..as long as you just have that one and not two or three, don't deprive yourself of the foods you love to eat, just simply cut back on them, have that milk chocolate almond hershey's (1.88oz) candy bar if you want it...that won't hurt anything..some will disgree and say it will spark your metabolisum and start your sugar level to rise and make you hungry..I say hog wash to that..thats all nonsense.

if you keep your caloric intake to a moderate level for weight loss...as to what you set it ''at'' rather it be 1000 calories daily 1200/1400/ 1500/1700/ just stay as close to ''your'' count as you possible can ,and if you don't that day, don't worry bout it there's always the next day, and if you do want to induldge in that hi-calorie meal ever now and then do it save up your calories and then enjoy yourself...start to drink lemon water with your meals... that alone as help me a lot!
just use a little common sense and think monderately.
you will be fine.

sometimes we take diets to serious and thats why a lot of people fail diets.
be more felxable, stop all the worrying bout your weight and start enjoying your life the way you are and the way you will be when the weight is off.
be happy within yourself, help other people when you can on anything not just weight loss, be a friend to yourself and your fellow man and good things will come upon you..I promise.

Last edited by chevyman; 10-31-2006 at 12:02 PM.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
(female)

ricenbeanz HB User

I just posted in another thread and I'm so happy to hear your success story chevyman, it really gives me a lot of hope. I do have a question though. How do you figure what your daily intake of calories should be? I have about 40 lbs. to lose and I want to do it the slow, steady way, no crazy diets, etc. I'm going to try and stay away from the white flour products and sugars and I do love chicken and brown rice but I think I have a problem with portion control. So if someone might be able to help me figure out what my daily calorie intake should be I would be very grateful.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Well to determin what your calorie intake should be depends on your weight/hight at present! or you could go by useing your BMI numbers.

most diet % are based on a 2000 calorie diet...to mantain your present weight.
as Rule of thumb, for a female to lose weight going down to around 1400 or so would be good if you can or maybe even 1200, ..I say experiment with it a little do what is better for you!
everyones different , if your able to only consume 1200 calories, then Thats what I would do but it maybe to hard for you to go that low? , never go below a 1000 calories daily.

Try it, if it's to hard for you simply increase your calories by 200 each time.
The less calories COMSUME plus exercise each day means more rapid weight loss.
Now with this said not knowing your medical history, I recommend checking with your Dr before lowering your calorie count!

but please don't be frustrated if you don't lose in a week or two give it at least 4 weeks to see results.
I WISH YOU THE BEST.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
(female)

ricenbeanz HB User

Thanks Chevyman. I think I'll try to keep my calories at 1400 to start. I don't want to do anything too drastic and end up really hungry at the end of the day. I do like to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables but how do you know how many calories are in those things? Should I go out and buy some kind of a guide? I'm actually looking forward to starting a new eating plan tomorrow. Thanks so much for the support and encouragement.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
(male)

808Lion HB User

i've learned to be very careful about taking as gospel what others have to say about weight loss...
i think ultimately, there is a lot of modification that needs to be done for each person...
after all, no two of us are alike, so why should we think that one way of eating / dieting / exercising is going to work for us all...
that's just not very practical...

one of the more important concepts that i think helps most people to be successful at losing weight and keeping it off is to think in terms of lifestyle changes and not "diets" so to speak...
that means i start thinking in terms of this new healthy way of eating and exercising is the way i'm going to live... from now on... and not just something i'm gonna' do for a few months to lose some weight and then go back to the same ole thing that obviously didn't work in the past...

another thing that i've found to be effective for a lot of people is to be patient and methodical...
i've lost 50 pounds in 50 days before...
and put it back on almost faster then i lost it...

now, i've lost over 60 pounds in about a year and a half...
and it looks like it's staying off...
i've even dipped another 10 pounds below where i was aiming at...

but more important (to me at least) then the number that shows up on the scale, are the numbers that are reflected in the results of my blood tests...
the way i feel nowadays thanks to a dramatically improved diet and a regular exercise routine...
"quality of life" is one of those terms that comes a lot into play...
i got tired of feeling the way i felt all the time when i was eating like crap, not exercising enough, smoking, drinking, drinking caffeine, etc...

best of luck to all and i look forward to reading more of your success stories and your tips and tricks as to how you got to where you wanted to be... :-)

Old 11-01-2006, 06:49 AM   #9
(male)

BuiltToLast HB User

Chevy man, I am so glad to see your results, I am currently trying to shed a lot of weight! I am 19 my family is worried about my health, and I have a newborn on the way, So my main focus now is to be around for my child as long as I can. I am 5' 8" and 307 lbs. I have been dieting for a couple days now and exercise a good 30-45 minutes a day.. However my diet isnt the best, I went from eating anything I wanted and whenever, to a strict diet of probably less than 2000 calories. Any suggestions for me, other then what you have posted, as I have gained so much knowledge just by reading your posts. Your a strong person, and I hope I too can lose the weight, It really bugs me how some people only want to lose 20 or so pounds and need a miracle pill, to feel good, where i am well over a 100 lbs. of were I should be at, technically I should only be 155, I am two people in one

Old 11-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Sometimes there are no reasons of explanation as to why a person can not lose weight, other than locking them selfs in a room for a year and only eating what it takes to survive and not be sick.

Its very hard for an obease person to just lower there calorie intake and eat just small portion size and then not lose...thats so frustrating.
If your hungery you eat..I believe no one should ever go hungry, but some times that garggling feeling in out stomaches is why we think were hungry and we eat, if a person can over come that feeling then its possible to lose weight...and by doing this your cutting back on what you consume each day and that results in cutting out calories.

After a person as tried with all there heart and been on different programs even counseling, doing what it ''supposable takes to lose weight and feel better , Going to different Doctors, Nurtitionest, trying so many different diets, eatting healthy.ect,,ect,, and the weight just stays the same no matter what you do...no one can seem to give you an honest answer as to why?
I hate to recommend this but ''sometimes'' this is the only way to lose the weight you need, to be at a more healther weight,other that what I mention above!
It is expensive and most insurance do not cover it. maybe they will someday(hopefully) it just makes better sense if it makes you more healthy?
this is the ''Lap Band'' Surgery.
I don't recommend the gastric-by -pass, unless theres other medical reasons for that.
The ''Lap Band'' were going to see more of it and that means more healthy people walking around looking good and feeling better and enjoying there life to the fullest....
Thats why I said it makes more sense for the insurance companys to cover this type of surgery and its usally same day surgery...that will change your life forever and possibly pro-long your life.
humm maybe thats the thing the insurance companys are afraid of??..but they need to think about them preimuims each month.

So other than just setting your mind to eating less, counting calories or any diet thats safe to be on and trying to exercise as to what you can each and everday, except Sundays, all you can do is just stick with what helps you lose, think about your children, you can have a buddy thats a lot like you or someone that needs to lose weight for there health to motavate you or each other, what ever it takes to get that weight off and keep it off, watching what and how much you eat and even exercise is something a person needs to do all there life until they can no longer phyiically and mentally help themselfs.

ricenbeanz, re:
how can you till how many calories are in foods fruits/veggie ect,,ect,,??
Yes thers books and handy pocket books that have them broken down in laymans terms to understand...they will let you know how muany caloreis are in different foods.
also use the internet ''google'' serch engines are great!
also most food labels, have them posted.
I wish you all the Best.

Last edited by chevyman; 11-01-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I never meant to offend anyone about taking them diet pills, I realize they take them to curb there apitite and eat less its just that long term useage of diet pills is bad on there bodys.
Counting calores is hard but its not after a persons gets use to it.
think of counting calories as portion control, thats the real truth in weight loss, after you learn the calories in foods (good healthy foods) all you need to remember is portion control.
I have got to where I know what foods to eat for calorie counting via portion control, you can have just about any foods you love, in a moderate fasion by portion control....and still lose weight without depriving yourself or being in that darn old diet state of mind we all hate.

Eatting healthy is expensive but its also fun and a person just needs to put there health first before the luxury...and eatting the foods we love to eat is a laid back kind of luxury.

So my way of thinking is not via dieting and counting calories and looking at myself in the morror and watching /waiting for them scales to show less...its just eatting with portion control....even if you still feel hungry after your meals...don't keep eatting! go outside exercise take a walk, go do something to diverse your mind away from food...in about 15 minutes you won't be hungry any longer and and you can go on about your day.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

For those of you who think it will be hard to cut back on those calories in fear of being hungry, well, it's the truth! Yes, it's going to be hard. But, for me, the hardest part is always that first week. If you cut at least 500 calories per day, yes, you are going to be hungry. But, if you can get through that first week, by week #2, that hungry feeling tends to subside. And like Chevyman said, you probably won't see any noticable results until after the 4th week. A lot of us get frustrated because we aren't looking slim by that second week but you have to hang tough. It's going to happen. You didn't gain 40 lbs in 2 weeks and you're not going to get rid of it in 2 week, neither. Take it easy and don't obsess over the weight loss. It's a slow process but the end result is worth it.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Good post shucky ducky,
I agree 100%

Closed Thread