It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
(male)

Josh21 HB User
Any advice or suggestions?

My weight never really bothered me but I recently had my 16th birthday and I feel more and more self-conscious. I am about 5' 10' and weigh about 220 pounds. Im not huge but quite chubby and I would really like to lose some weight. I have spells where i dont care and eat what I want and think I will worry about it later, but then i hate the way I look and my body image and say to myself "Thats it, im going to eat healthier" then I do it for about 2 days. Its frustrating. I have lost quite a lot of self confidence over this recently. All of my friends are fairly thin and I feel that when i say something its like my opinions dont even matter because of my weight for some strange reason. It doesnt help that my mum buys all this junk food. I also spend a lot of time at my friends house. All he has there to snack on is junk food so that is pretty much my only option if im starving. The worst part is all he eats is junkfood and is thin. Can anybody give me any advice from past experiences or any advice and/or suggestions in general to help me lose weight and stick to it please! It would be much appreciated

Josh

Old 11-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
(female)

Emrell HB User
Re: Any advice or suggestions?

WELLLL Josh, my family is the same. They keep junk food around here all the time, it's pretty hard to say no when it stares u in the face! Suggest hiding it in a cupboard where it's not in plain view? Like a cupboard that's high up, where you will have to step on a chair or something to reach it. Making it harder to get to helps sometimes.

As for your friend's house, I would also recommend not going over there for the time being. Invite him over to your house, or hang out somewhere else...where there isn't a lot of junk food. (yeah like where is THAT lol)

Don't forget to start counting your calories. Count every little thing you put in your mouth, you're less likely to wanna just randomly chomp when you know you gotta write it down. Cuz that's a pain in the butt. lol Perhaps you can make a meal plan for yourself the day before, and stick to whatever you have written on your list to eat for that day. I use that method, and it works... a lot of the time.

Also don't starve yourself. Eat small meals/snacks every few hours to avoid the hungry feeling and rumbling tummy. Eat most your carbs in the early part of the day.

Exercise exercise exercise! Can't stress that enough!

Umm.. and now my mind went blank. LOL I hope that is enough to get you started!

Last edited by Emrell; 11-10-2006 at 08:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
(female)

ktt HB User

Hi Josh,

Have you thought about joining a gym if there's one nearby? Doing cardio and weight training and seeing your body gain muscle and stamina mught help with your self image and motivate you to eat healthier. You could stop by after school etc and work out for awhile. It could also help establish a health routine for you to start and follow throughout your life so you can solve this problem now when you're young.

Eating healthier for you means being prepared. When you're at your friend's maybe you could bring some small snacks with you like a small package of nuts or a nutrition bar. That way you can satisfy your hunger and still eat healthy.

Try making better selections for your meals such as choosing salads and go light on dressing it since dressing can add lots of calories plus many contain ingredients that you really don't want to put in your body (partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup) I don't know what your typical dinner is at home but if and when you can, choose fish or lean meats like chicken, turkey and limit your portions of starches like potatoes etc. You can eat them just be aware of portion control and don't supersize them. For healthier selections for bread try using wraps instead when you
make a sandwich. There are some good whole wheat wraps that are only 50 calories and you can make a chicken fajita with them or use them as a pizza crust etc. There are lots of ways to take foods you like and make a healthy low cal version.

When you're out at a fast food restaurant and you want something like french fries occasionally just order a small order with a grilled chicken or plain hamburger (that meal will still total about 800 calories so just remember to eat lighter at your next meal and if you can skip the fries you save yourself about 400 calories) For desserts you can also try low cal substitutes like yougurt (healthiest and great choice) sugar free fudgesicles. If you can manage portion control thesre's nothing wrong with having a cookie or small sweet but the key is to know yourself and if one piece is not satisfying then it's better to skip things like chocolate etc.

Once you learn how to make better, smarter choices in food selection and establish an exercise routine that's comfortable for you then you'll slowly see the weight come off and you'll set yourself up for a future where weight isn't an issue that you'll have to deal with over and over again. Good Luck.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
(male)

Josh21 HB User

Thank you both for your suggestions I will certainly keep what you both said in mind. There is a Gym I recently joined actually that is about a 10 minute walk from my house I have only been a few times though just to get used to it. I have had a think about and I have decided to set up a diary of my daily calorie intake . Thank you both again.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:06 AM   #5
(female)

Sara111 HB User

Dear Josh,
iI think you need to build self confidence. First believe in yourself. Think positively, if you want to do something, you can do it.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
(female)

vivi1 HB User

Josh, Go buy fruit and healthy snacks and keep them in your room so you don't keep going into the kitchen. When I reach for a healthy snack I just tell myself "This orange may not be as fun as candy.....that's all, just not as much fun". That way I don't feel like I am being punished! Mind over matter. Tell your self you can do this and then find a way to stay active. I believe in you!

Closed Thread