It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #1

Girlygirl020 HB User
Weight gain after Phentermine?

I was taking Phentermine for a month and I lost 17 pounds. About 3 days after I went off Phentermine and I noticed a 2 pound increase in my weight. I haven't changed my diet or exercise habits, so I have no idea what is going on! I thought I lost weight because I was changing my eating habits and worked out often, not because I was taking Phentermine alone. Has anyone that has been off Phentermine experienced this?

Old 12-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

boicrazy3188 HB User
Re: Weight gain after Phentermine?

It has nothing to do with the phentermine-that is-if you haven't changed your eating or exercising habits AT ALL. The only thing phen does is tell your brain that your not interested in food, and that you don't need it all the time. It is suppose to aid your weight loss, not do it for you. If you get off of phen and gain weight, its because you are not doing something that you did before you got off phen. Also, realize that only 2 pounds could just be water, and if you have not changed any of your habits, then up your water intake and you should be fine. I've been on phen 5 weeks and as of today I have lost 18.5 pounds. I eat right exercise and when I get off of phen, I hope that my habits will stick with me.

Congrats on the weight loss

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
(female)

andy29 HB User

I was on Phentermine for 6mo and lost 50lbs. When I got off of it I gained 30lbs. I kept my same healthy eating habits and exercising by walking thirty minutes a day. I will never get on that again. All you are really doing is fasting once you get off of phentermine you gain the weight right back sometimes even more than you lost.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

boicrazy3188 HB User

Ugh... "I was on Phentermine for 6mo and lost 50lbs. When I got off of it I gained 30lbs. I kept my same healthy eating habits and exercising by walking thirty minutes a day." Well, then you shouldn't have gained it back!!!!

The reality is, no matter what you do or what you take, if you lost the weight and didn't change ANY habits, then you shouldn't gain the weight back. If a person use to eat 1800 calories a day, then wanted to lose weight so they lowered it to 1300, then they would lose weight. After they lost the weight, they still eat 1300 calories. Do they gain it back? No, because your still eating 1300 calories. Maybe you stopped losing weight, but it's common knowledge to know that if you eat the same calories everyday you won't gain weight back. Even if your metabolism slowed down, you would still notice. How could you not notice 30 pounds? They just don't come back overnight...

Phentermine is not in any way a fast. I don't know about you, but I eat regular food. I eat Mcdonalds some days, have a candy bar sometimes and eat 3-4 meals a day. I eat 1200-1400 calories a day. I have never really drank anything other than diet coke or water, but I cut my soda intake down to about a can a day and drink 8 or more glasses of water a day. If you were fasting while on phen, then I understand your weight gain. Fasting is unhealthy and stupid just to do to lose weight. Of course your going to gain it back plus more, your bodies making up for lost muscle and fat.

Phentermine does nothing but send signals to your brain that you are full and don't want food. It's not ephedra or anything like that. It doesn't lose the weight for you, and therefore, doesn't make you gain it back when you get off of it. Only you can do that, with the choices you've made.

When I get off of phentermine, I'm going to monitor my weight constantly. 30 pounds is a lot, and if your really serious about losing and keeping weight off, you would keep a close watch on your weight. There were times when I lost weight dieting, and when I got off of a diet, I stopped monitoring my weight. Before I knew it, I gained it all back. I have learned from that experience. I won't do that to myself again.

I have lost about 20 pounds so far, and I can definitely see the changes. I'm much happier, and proud that I have come this far. I will never EVER let myself go back to where I use to be.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Valo99 HB User

Phentermine does work, no doubt about it. I used to be a phentermine addict.

problem with it is, not a matter of changing your eating habits, your metabolism goes back to normal = slowing down. it's like quitting smoking. Yes you can gain the weight back, but not true for everyone.

Phentermine was addicting to me, because I had so much energy, I was always slim. Everytime I went off it, I was tired, weight started coming back on, no matter what I ate.

It took getting pregnant to get off the stuff.

I am not fat now, but heavier than I want to be.

Closed Thread