It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
(male)

mrjsmith HB User
Fewer meals/eating later in the day

I've been on a lower crab eating plan for a while now. Mostly green vegetables and raw nuts (almonds, pecans, etc) for my carb intake. Meat, obviously, otherwise. Its ok, but I tend to also agree that simply eating less will help. Sticking to a strick low carb diet results in me eating a lot of food during the day. In fact, any eating plan generally winds up with snacking and whatnot.

So, after reading some interesting posts on fewer meals, calorie restriction, intermittent fasting, etc., I've decided to try only eating, or at least the vast majority of eating, later in the day. Basically just dinner.

Reading around the web, you get a wide range of opinions...

Generally pretty rabid opinions as well. According to some not only will I put on more weight, but I could get really sick, etc. The really sick part is of course ridiculous. Sorry, but most people for most of history didn't get to eat whatever they wanted at regular intervals, and we're all still here, so I imagine I'll live through it.

However, a more common response is the "reduce your metabolism" line. This is pretty common knowledge. The thinking is that eating many small meals during the day will keep your body burning, so you'll lose weight. I've even read some responses saying that your body needs energy to burn fat, so if you stop eating you won't lose fat (what?). Yeah, I read that somewhere.

But therein lies my concern. I just made a statement, but didn't back it up. I'm about to pull my hair out because it seems like everything I read about diet is somebody's opinion that is not backed up by any sort of science, or maybe one link testing monkeys for something unrelated, etc. Any of the following sound familiar?

"Don't eat before bed"
"Eat 5 or more small meals per day"
"Low fat diets spike your insulin and make you gain weight"
"Low carb diets will give you heart disease"
"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You know sumo wrestlers skip breakfast to get fat"

Etc.

However, rarely do these statements include a link to supporting evidence. Does anybody have good studies that prove your metabolism goes down when you eat less often? How about eating later in the day?

Seems like there isn't too much consensus in general on diet recommendations. Yeah, I know, it depends who you talk to. But as an example, a few years ago I went to my doctor who found I had high cholesterol, so he put me on a low-fat diet. Lost some weight, cholesterol improved some. A few years later, same doctor said my cholesterol was bad again. Suggested a low-carb diet. Did that. Lost some weight. Cholesterol improved. And, by the way, he's a cardiologist by specialty.

I feel like 20-30 years from now we'll have a much clearer picture of diet and the actual mechanisms, but right now people are all over the board.

Rambling. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-09-2006 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting rules section titled "How to share information".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread