It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Junior77 HB User
1200 vs 1500 calorie diet.. which will u lose weight with more fast?

Hi, I know eating helps your metabolism so It got me confused about this issue. I currently want to go on either a 1200 calorie diet or a 1500 calorie diet and was wondering which would help me lose weight faster. I'm thinking about eating healthychoice tv dinners everyday to help me count my calories.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
(female)

mimizzy HB User
Re: 1200 vs 1500 calorie diet.. which will u lose weight with more fast?

i think that eating 1200 calories would be okay as long as you eat every 3 hours or so. eating MORE doesn't help ur metabolism (not that i know of) eating more OFTEN helps your metabolism. don't wait more than 5 hours between meals. and eating more often can be bad if u eat a lot, u just have to be really careful not to exceed ur calorie limit for the day. also i heard exercise speeds up your metabolism.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 05:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Junior,

If you are under 40, you will lose weight like a house on fire with a 1500 calorie diet. You don't need to go as severe as 1200 which would have you very hungry most of the time and might cause your metabolism to get too effeicient.

Healthy Choice dinners are a good way to control calories...their only drawback is the salt, but that is the price of prepared foods. At least HC is somewhat lower in sodium than most of them.

Make sure the meals and snacks that AREN'T out of the box are well measused and tabulated.

Good luck!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-27-2006 at 05:58 AM.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User

I would go with the 1500 diet. You will be so hungry on the 1200 diet and more likely binge or eat the wrong thing. Especially if you do a lot of excersise you will need the calories or you will have no energy at all

Old 12-27-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Junior77 HB User

thanks I think i'll go with the 1500 calorie diet.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:43 AM   #6
(female)

knsmith175 HB User

Your current weight and height will tell you how many calories you should consume to gain, lose, or maintain weight. I recommend using one of the many free calorie calculators online. You don't want to cut your calories so severely that you gain the weight back. To give you an example, I am 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighed 329 lbs. I went from consuming 3500+ to 2500 calories per day and lost 2.5 pounds a week. I'm now 175 pounds and I consume 2000 to 2250 calories per day. This myth that we need to make these huge calorie cuts is what keeps us yo yoing throughout life. It is much more reasonable to expect a person to be able to consume 2200 calories a day for life rather that thinking the average person is going to be satisfied with only 1200 or even 1500 calories a day! Don't get sucked in by the big numbers you will see dropping off the scale in the beginning. The key is long term weight loss maintenance. I'd rather only see 2 pounds a week and know I'm going to keep it off rather that losing 4-6 pounds a week only to gain it all back.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

knsmith175,
Congratulation on your weight loss as of to date keep up the great work.

I think a lot of people are so set to lose weight they want to lose sooo bad sooo fast, thats the reason the lower calorie count, I'm guilty of it.

but what I did I went low calorie count to lose weight more fast so that I could get to where I could exercise, and still go low with the calorie counting but I found out that I needed more energy when I started to exercise so I up my calorie count to 1500 more of the good calorie foods more veggies and good lean proteine and I did fine with it, after I lost the weight I needed, I up my calories to 1800 daily and I never go over that amout if I can help it, I use to write all the calories I consumed down each day, but I don't do that anymore, I just know and remember how much I eat, it gets a lot eazier counting calories each day, but to the new members its a good idea to be precise counting your calories , you need to log down everything you eat.
counting calories will work if you stay with it, after all remember eatting to many calories is the reason were all over weight...period.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Oh,
I did have me a little pocket notebook with me at all times during this last year, I logged down everything I put in my mouth, and was precise with it, its a personal thing to lose weight and counting calories was very interesting watching your weight go down by only consuming so many calories and without being hungry, its hard at first but after you get going with it and you know what and how much you can have per meal not to exceed your calorie limit each day it does get eazier.....when I first started I was hungry but I was on to low of a calorie count I was only counting 1200 that was to low for me, so I up that to 1500 and did fine, for male we can have more calories than female that don't seem fair but i guess we just have more body to feed...lol
1200 or 1500 for a female should be ok but that really depends on your hight and how much you want to lose or need to lose, if you find your calorie intake number to mantain your weight then you simlpy cut that number by 500 to lose weight in a safe manner, a lb or two weekly should be fine.
if your calorie intake number is 2300 daily to mantain your current weight then to lose weight you need to lower that number 1800 daily.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Junior77 HB User

I'm 5'8. Weigh 210 lbs and am a male.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

hi,
well I should have said that everyone is different, even if you know your calorie intake number that may not be enough, its just a normal thing to lower your calorie count by 500 from your current maintained weight, and caloric number,
but with that said that may not work for you? you need to find out just how many calories you can have each day without going hungry and maintain your current weight,(experiment) even if your caloric intake numbers say different, than what you figured with your hight/weight thats why its so hard for some people.
if your use to eating say 2500/ 3000 calories daily and you can't lose weight but you stay pretty close to the same weight then I would go by the lower number, then simply cut back on that number by 500..to lose weight..exercise helps

Old 01-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

reddoorblack HB User

What's the best way to count calories? Do you carry around a little notebook and write everything down or do you plan out your entire day in advance? I'm curious how you all manage this.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

It depends on your size. I have been seeing a nutritionist and she put me on a 1200 calorie plan. I am a 5'4" female that weighs about 125 and just want to lose about 7 pounds and look a little more fit. I don't feel starved eating 1200 calories and was eating 1500 or something under 2000 before I started seeing the nutritionist. The time when eating too little calories is bad for your metabolism is when you eat way too little and your body goes into starvation mode. My nutritionist recommended to us to start with the higher plan, like starting with 1500.. and if you feel like it's too much or if it's the same as before, THEN lower it a little bit. It's much easier to ease into it anyway and not do anything extreme!

Old 01-03-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Junior77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoorblack
What's the best way to count calories? Do you carry around a little notebook and write everything down or do you plan out your entire day in advance? I'm curious how you all manage this.
I have a little book made for you to write down your calories in it.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I have several of those "giant" notebooks (like 4" x 6")...they have about 185 pages and this with a page for each day, one is good for a year.
At the top of each page, I put my age and weight first thin in the morning.
Then I just record everything and record the calories usually right then and there. If I go out to eat, I remember and record as soon as I get home.

I use the USDA on-line nutrition guide, and a food scale for items not marked on the cans, packages or bags.,,but much of my counting is done for me on the nutrition label.

Every month I average out the last 30 or 31 numbers and compare with previous months...it usually is a good predictor of whether my weight went up or down.

On the back few pages I list some of the commonfoods that I have done calculations for...thus pancakes are 600 calories and banana pancakes are 640. Then I don't have to do the pencil work every time.

Once you've recorded something just leaf back next time you eat the same thing and recopy.
I've been at it for years (and will continue as long as I live so by now I know most of what I eat "by heart."

But like today, I made AMBROSIA for a dessert (special) and thus I had to add up 12 oz. marchmallows (960), crushed pineapple (320), dried coconut
(200)and 10 ounces of half and half (400)...so now I have the total and I can allocate by how much I eat with every serving...it had BETTER last several days for two people.
Like I said...a SPECIAL dessert that I have a couple times a year...eat like this every day and one gets big as a house.

Calorie counting seems daunting at first but it gets rather commonplace after awhile...and it really is a WONDERFUL feeling knowing that you are in complete control of your weight...because you ARE!

You do a lot of bargaining, ala "If I have THIS, I cannot have THAT." You leave ROOM for special stuff. "If I want the pasta with meatballs, then there's no dessert" kinda thinking.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoorblack
MY OPNION,
The best way to count calories is get yourself motivate very motivated, think about what you eat or going to eat...and think why your doing this, always try to remember that it's for you and your health, rather or not for vanity or just health reasons.

The best way to diet is eat a full course breakfast dinner/supper..with no meals in between or snacks and of course exercise daily...but whos perfect?
meals for breakfast 600 dinner 600 supper 400/600....yeah right, but its possible to eat that way.

Anywayz
try to start your day off with some sort of cardio exercise, get up an extra 30/60 minutes, do your exercise...then have your bath/shower and you shoud not be hungry at this time but do eat something.

Based daily on a 1500 caloire intake say have> /200/300 calories of something for breakfast...then for dinner have you something low in calories, say around 400/500/600 calories...the foods you eat your going to have to know the calories content and count them being precise.

theres many foods out there that you can eat healthy foods that are low in calories,,,(I have a little trouble with meats) being meats are loaded with calories, for supper do the same as you did for dinner 400/500/600 calories depending on your breakfast calorie count? if you choose the later number of 600 for dinner/supper and 300 for breakfast thats pretty precise to your daily set limit of 1500, but if you only eat the middle number or the first number, then that leaves you a little lead way for snacks such as a low fat yoguart/fruits, or even a sugar free jello.
this is probably the reason you need to record all your calories to help you through the day , you will know what you can have or get ready for...it just takes a little common sense to count calories but the time and effort you put into it will be very rewarding just remember its for your health.

I like counting calories because I can have the foods that I want within reason, and keeps my weight down.
The thing bout calorie counting it's eazy you just have to know how to count and how to read/write...then its up to you to be true to yourself.
Figure out or plan ahead for each day and just take it one day at a time

I don't think of calorie counting as ''dieting'' after you count calories for a long time it just comes naturally, you just know what you can have and how much based on the most common foods that you eat. (you remember)
writing them down and what it was you ate that day gives you a little insight and builds your curiousity up, and when you get on them scales and your surprised in your weight loss, thats a very good feeling to say the least.

Eating way to many calories of anything.....well thats the reason were over weight..period.

Last edited by chevyman; 01-05-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Closed Thread