It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
(male)

Tom2006 HB User
Lightbulb Average guy trying to lose 30 pounds

I'm male, 22, 6 foot 2,and weigh app.210 lbs. Weight mostly shows in my face and chest/stomach.

I don't have a membership to a gym.
On a rare occassion, I will work out at my college, where I usually just go on the bike type machines, a little too embarassed to go into the weightroom to lift or anything like that.

Wendy's is evil and I eat out 1-2 times a week.
I don't do sweets or bad food really outside of the fastfood.
I drink pop, which isn't good and probably not enough water.
I also drink once in a while (once a month or so? not beer, usually rum hehe)
And I always get hungry after dinner, end up eating late

I would love to lose 30 pounds and tone up a bit, especially since me and my friends are already talking about a summer vacation. So yeah...

Any suggestions?
I figure I'll cut off pop and fastfood, drink lots of water. But, as far as exercise goes, how much and how often? I considered buying some sort of total workout machine ($200 price range) for toning up, but should I lose weight first or will using a machine with weights and stuff help in losing the weight?

I appreciate any feedback you guys can offer!

Last edited by Tom2006; 01-08-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Average guy trying to lose 30 pounds

Quote:
On a rare occassion, I will work out at my college, where I usually just go on the bike type machines, a little too embarassed to go into the weightroom to lift or anything like that.
Get in there and work those weights...your tuition is paying for them.
EVERYBODY feels like you do when starting with weights.
Ask any of the buffed guys to give you some pointers. I GUARANTEE most of them will be very happy to help you get started.
Soon it will feel like home.

Lose the pop: replace it with DIET pop.

Don't throw your money away on the store-bought gym...$200 will only buy junk and take up too much space.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
(male)

Tom2006 HB User

thanks for the feedback!

Old 01-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
(female)

ktt HB User

Hi Tom,

I would definitely use the college facilities. There are probably people of all levels there and most times people are much more concerned with their own workout than they are with yours. I had some trepidation myself before I joined the gym in Nov and I was amazed at all the regular looking people there LOL I thought they would all be your typical hardbodies. Everyone at my gym pretty much just does there own workout and is living in their IPOD worlds There definitely is gym etiquette like don't hog the machines or weight benches by just sitting there or leave all your junk around for people to trip over. Wipe off any machine you use with a paper towel. They usually have spray bottles and paper towels for that. Noone wants to use sweaty equipment.

As for how much exercise and how often, I would if you have the time try to work each muscle group twice a week. There are lots of ways to divide it but for example I do upper body on Tues and Sat, lower body and core Wed and Sun. That should take about 30-45 min per session. For cardio you can get a lot of extra in just by parking further away or walking to all your classes, using stairs etc I would try to get in around 30 min a day and if you can manage 45 that would be good. Whatever aerobic activity you like swimming, biking, walking , running just make sure you feel the effort, are a little bit winded. You can check your pulse etc to make sure you're in a good aerobic zone.

For diet drinking water is a good idea, switching to diet pop is definitely preferable.

If you go to Wendys your best bets are the single hamburger (420 calories no cheese) or grilled chicken (370 calories) If you get the small fries that another 440 (large fries are 590) but better to opt for the side salad (140). The other salads are pretty high (caesar salad 540, taco salad 710, chicken blt 780, mandarin chicken 580). The potatoes are ok (baked potato with sour cream 320, broccoli potato 330, bacon and cheese 440) or chili (small 220, large 330) Frescata ckub 440, or turkey pesto 420 are the best for cold sandwichers. If you go to Wendy's it better for lunch so you have time to work off some of those calories and compensate with a light dinner.

Good Luck

Old 01-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
(male)

Tom2006 HB User

ktt, you're awesome! thank you!

Old 01-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
(female)

glitterlisamf HB User
Wink Re: Average guy trying to lose 30 pounds

hi if you find drinking water boring(like i did) try adding a little juice or a smoothie instead as you can also water them down too. i invested in a blender ans now i can't stop with the smoothies it's driving the family nuts hahahahaha

Old 01-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
(female)

confrustrated HB User

I'm not a huge fan of plain water. I buy the off brand of crystal light at walmart. Its really low in calories and sugar free. Tastes just like kool aid. It satisfies my sweet tooth most of the time too.

Last edited by confrustrated; 01-12-2007 at 09:54 AM.

Closed Thread