It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

lam41565 HB User
Diet That Works? Any Out There?

I Need To Lose About 25 Lbs. Interested In A Sensible Diet That Works And Can Be Followed Easily. Please Let Me Know Of Any Diet You Have Tried That Really Works. I Would Like To Lose 2 Lbs A Week. Thanks For Any Input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Diet That Works? Any Out There?

There certainly IS, Iam.

It's called food restriction and it's measure of sucess (or failure) is by calorie counting.

Two pounds a week is VERY severe and requires the consumption of 1000 calories fewer each day than you are now eating. Never go below 1200 clories though.

Add exercise becasue it will consume more calories and allow you to eat a little bit more.

But unless you have 50 pounds or more to lose, I think a goal of 2 pounds a week is too restrictive. One pound a week (with a 500 calorie/day deficit) is a LOT easier to manage. Thus with 25 pounds to lose, why not set up a plan to have to be at goal weight by Labor Day?

Last edited by Lenin; 02-21-2007 at 08:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

I know it has a bad rep, but if you do Atkins, AND FOLLOW THE PLAN, it really works. Ignore the hype about "it's all meat and fat" -- BULL!! It is mostly high fiber veggies WITH meat and because there isn't any bread or really starchy things allowed, the fat really doesn't affect anything-- IN MY OPINION. Is it such a horrible thing to forego cow's milk??? Have the butter and the cream, but that blue pig slop (ask an old farmer--the cream was skimmed off and the other slopped the pigs!)? It was never an issue for me. But the problem is that in this world of "convenience food" it is very hard not to fall off it after awhile. In the past ten years, I have gone on it (and off) a couple of times, each time losing about 30 lbs. in 3 months...

Old 02-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
(female)

lzing2 HB User

I agree a little with both...diets, well most work if you follow them...but true success is proven that it must require lifestyle change overall to win the battle of the buldge...
North Americans in general have to relearn portion sizes...we can eat all the healthy food we want but if we don't get the portions right, well we lose the battle. Sugars, and refined anything is bad for us and not a weight friendly food substance, there is no way around that one...so we have to learn basic is good, fresh is best, and the kitchen scale is our friend, not just the bathroom scale. How many times has your protein portion been bigger than your veggie's on your plate? If your like me probally all your life...it is amazing when you weigh out the right portion of protein and then the correct portion of veg/per serving....you'll notice a reversal in what you should be eating...
I also find to win the weight battle....eating tiny meals instead of 3 square has been a super metabolism booster, and certainly has worked wonders for me, I eat less and I have no cravings for the bad stuff...cookies, chips, cake etc...sugar in general!

I think diets in general all try to achieve the same bottom line...but somehow many of us miss it, or reach or goal and slip back to old patterns of comfort...we have to not only watch what we eat, but how much...

That is my two cents...

Old 02-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

lzing,

What is calorie counting after all but a very PRECISE way of achieving portion control? There is absolutely NO food that I cannot eat as long as it is not done to excess nor done too often unless it is a low calorie food.

Quote:
Ignore the hype about "it's all meat and fat" -- BULL!!
LisaP,
I challenge you to tell me the percent of your calories that you ate YESTERDAY that came from fat.
My experience with hundreds of people on Atkins was that they ALL ate at least 60% of their calories as fat, most even more. So what is BULL about the Atkins' diet is the yammering about the broccoli and fiber. It is a VERY HIGH FAT DIET and all the gassing about vegetables is a smokescreen.
It is a meat, butterfat, and eggs diet! PERIOD.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

The counting calorie diet WORKS. I have done it in the past. There is no such thing as a SAFE FAST diet. I sometimes lost 2 pounds per week eating 1200 calories a day. (yes, sometimes I would go over about 40 calories)
Drink water, exercise, and count calories. YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT!!!
I myself am signing up for Weight Watchers--following the Core plan which is VERY similar to counting calories. I CAN'T lose weight on my own. If I don't have someone watching over me, I WILL not do it.
Good luck to you!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

I started out doing Atkin's, but over time I have modified it to a lower fat version and it's working out wonderfully!!! I have lost about 10 pounds so far...been doing this about a year. I didn't have a lot to lose (I was 130 and wanted to lose 15 pounds). I still have five pounds to go, but I am confident I'll reach it...since I've started low carb, it's just been a slow creep towards my goal, but I think is because I am so close to my goal...they say the last ten are the hardest to lose, and now I believe it.

Sometimes I think my body is fighting me. For about 7 months I could not get under 124. I really thought that my body WANTED to weigh 124. Now I've gone to 120...for about 3 weeks straight. It's almost a weird feeling maintaining my weight, without trying. I'm so used to dreading the scale and usually watch it go up.

This way of eating is incredibly satisifying and at the same time, I'm losing weight. Like anything else, it's all about habit, and over time I have learned to adjust and my tastes have changed. Now that I eat this way, feel awesome, and maintain my weight...I won't ever consider anything else. It's definitely not a "diet", it's getting back to basics...the way we are suppose to eat. The problems with weight started when we "refined" nature. If you want to lose weight think like a caveman!

Think about it. Ever since we embraced low fat, we've all gotten heavier and sicker.

Last edited by KittyLove; 02-23-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:50 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User

Quick weight loss usually leads to regaining it just as quickly, so I wouldn't advise losing 2 lbs. per week. Any diet in which you burn off more calories than you eat will work, but it's best to do it sensibly. Like the others said, a diet of 1,200 to 1,500 calories and exercise is a good idea.

However, I don't buy that a low fat diet doesn't work. VERY few Americans have ever eaten a low fat diet. Most eat 100 grams of fat per day. Yes, Americans have gained weight while experts said to eat low fat, but few of us ever listened to them. We were eating at McDonald's while they were saying that. We ate high amounts of fat in the past, but people did manual labor then, and now we do very little. Asians eating traditional diets are very lean, and they eat little fat and lots of carbohydrates.

Is low carb dieting having any more success among the scores of obese in this country? I haven't noticed it. Atkins has been popular this time around (It was popular in the 70's too, but similar low carb diets were around prior to that) for about ten years, and we're fatter than ever despite millions of people having tried the "low carb lifestyle."

I don't buy that Atkins works any better than a low fat diet because I've known countless people who lost lots of weight on Atkins and gained it back with more to spare. In my opinion, it wonks out your ability to metabolize carbohydrates if you ever go off the diet. You can do a net search on "Atkins regain" or something like that to see what I mean. It's so restrictive that few people can remain on even the maintenance plan for life. Eliminating more than half of the foods that "ordinary" people eat while not on Atkins is how they make it a low calorie diet (and any one of those will cause weight loss); you feel less hungry because the fat and protein make it satisfying. In the induction phase, you go into a state called ketosis which causes you to lose large amounts of water. That's why you lose so much weight initially. Atkins tricks your body into thinking it is starving.

Despite the fact that you can lose weight on it, I don't think Atkins is safe. Many take fiber and vitamin supplements because the diet is deficient in both. Ketosis also has the side effect of making your breath smell like nail polish remover, and I don't think that's healthy. The diet also admits that it's not safe for diabetics or people with kidney disease (ketosis stresses the kidneys), but most time-test standard diets like Weight Watchers are safe for diabetics and don't cause any weird side effects. I also think that with all of the phytochemicals that scientists are finding in fruits and high carbohydrate vegetables (ferulic acid in corn and, for example), I just can't see any logic in following a diet that disallows you to eat them. The longest term study I've ever seen on the safety and efficacy of the diet is one year in duration, and I think it would take longer than a year to clog up your arteries. Many on the diet say it's lowered their cholesterol, but cholesterol isn't the only factor in heart disease. Losing weight on any diet will lower cholesterol. I've also read criticisms that say that the tests were flawed by having small sample sizes (120 people with only half on the low carb diet).

You'll also never convince me that modern meat fed hormones and antibiotics is more natural than eating processed food because it's just as processed as a Twinkie.

You can lose weight on Atkins, but I don't understand why so many people use it. It just doesn't seem like a pleasant diet. I prefer to eat a sustainable diet with more variety.

Last edited by cuddledumplin; 02-25-2007 at 09:12 PM.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:53 AM   #9
(female)

Islandgirl1970 HB User

Actually when you omit carbs your body burns the fat out of your arteries first, before going on to stored fat, directly lowering your cholesterol so it is very good for your arteries, even if you only last a month on the diet.

I think it's very important to eat meat that is raised free of growth hormones and fed a vegetarian diet. Luckily I have a market near me where I can get organic bison, free range chicken, organic eggs and dairy so I'm lucky.

Yes you do immediately lose 3-5 pounds of water in the first 2-3 days only cuz it acts like a diuretic(same as coffee or a few other "normal" foods). They say for every pound of fat there is a pound of water somehow tied up/buffering it so technically some further 50% of weight loss is water lost when the fat is burned up. The water thing explains the puckered cellulite look on the thighs etc.

low carb diets teach your body to burn fat for calories, something it never has to do with glucose (sugar, carbs) in the system. Your body never feels like it's starving cuz it takes 8 hours to slowly digest meat/protein, making you feel sustained the whole time and eliminating cravings.

It definately is not a "meat, butterfat, and eggs diet" cuz I have 2-3 servings of vegies or salad a day which I never eat when not on the diet. I make a great salad with mixed greens, pine nuts, avocado, cheese, raspberries, smoked salmon (or whatever) and a vinegrette dressing which any person would find quite normal.

Anyone who doesn't think low carb not only works but is healthy ask your doctor or go to Jenny Craig and they will put you on a low carb diet right away and call it something else. It is more restrictive than Atkins where you are at least allowed fat. Doctors can perscribe a 800/calorie/day protein shake diet, which sounds horrific to just have 5 medical shakes a day! Yet acording to Doctors it works. I asked my Doctor about Atkins b4 I started and he said it was fine but not for longer than 6 months cuz you don't get sufficient vitamins unless you take suppliments.

It was recently proven that eating excess fat CAN NOT make you fat but passes right through lubricating your intestines. (Think European diets.) I think it has to do with the fact that fat (unlike protein even) can NOT be turned into glucose and therefore can NOT be stored as fat by the insulin our pancreas releases for the job. Many diabetics improve on low-carb since there is no longer glucose in the system so no insulin gets released and doesn't need to be countered anymore.

Atkins, south beach and the zone all work but it is your willingness and dedication and willpower that are the true test of whether the loss is permanent! I think those not prone to gluttony, binge or overeating have a chance to keep it off whereas someone who eats excessive calories will eventually go back to that habit when depressed or stressed and gain it back.

Last edited by Islandgirl1970; 02-24-2007 at 04:59 AM.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
It was recently proven that eating excess fat CAN NOT make you fat but passes right through lubricating your intestines.
Of all the dietary fanasies I have heard, and I've heard plenty, I think this is the most preposterous.

It basically translates as "Buy this book and eat all you want...and lose weight!"

Eating excess calories of fat will make you excessively FAT, just like excessive protein or excessive carbohydrates. Diet book authors each make the same claim: that only THEIR diet reverses the Laws of Thermodynamics. In common parlance this is called LYING!

People WANT to hear "You can eat all you want and not gain weight"...and diet books sell because each bad author makes that claim, but no matter how many diets make the claim it will NEVER become true.

For someone who thinks that dietary fat just passes through the body lubricating the intestines, such a person should have a blood test a hour after eating a pound of butter. He'll find his blood has turned creamy white and has the texture of heavy cream....and that fat will go directly to the depot fat storage areas of the body.

Fat passes though the body uunabsorbed: HOGWASH!

Last edited by Lenin; 02-24-2007 at 07:55 AM.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

Fat does not make you fat. In fact, you need the essential fatty acids found in fat to live. Sugar is one of the biggest contributing factors to what makes you fat.

In the 1980's it was recommended that people cut down on saturated fats. Eventually that was misinterpreted to mean all fats and the "low-fat" craze was born. When manufacturers remove fat from a product, they replace it with sugar. Take Snackwell cookies for example...no fat yet the SAME calories as a regular cookie. While everyone is now convinced that fat makes you fat, they are now eating a lot more sugar and carbs instead. We are now a nation of constantly hungry people, overeating to feel satisfied.

Being satisfied is THE most important part of any successful diet. Studies show that when people include fat in their diet, they consume less calories then the people eating a low fat, high carb diet. Why? because sugar causes your blood sugar to rise and drop suddenly. That's why you're always hungry.

The only fat that you should absolutely avoid at all costs is Trans Fat, you know that MAN-MADE substance that's created from heating up fat to extreme temperatures which then chemically alters it. THIS is the type of fat that is clogging up arteries.

When I first started Atkin's, I basically LIVED on nothing but protein and fat for a few months. My weight dropped fast. The reason is because I was ALWAYS satisfied and hardly ever hungry which resulted in my consuming LESS calories.

Low fat is dead, it just hasn't been buried yet.

Cuddledumplin,

The reason why a lot of people doing Atkin's "fall of the wagon" and return to their old eating habits is because just like any other bad habit or addiction, there is always a chance of relapse. And just like an addiction, once you go back to it, you will do so with a vengeance!! Hence, the rapid weight gain. Sugar is highly addictive. When you suddenly stop eating it, you will go into withdrawal about 2-3 days later.

And if you think Atkin's is unsafe, then perhaps you haven't read up on all the health problems resulting from sugar. Anyways, how can eating foods in their natural state be harmful? Carbs are sugar...your body processes them the exact same way, as sugar. Does anyone wonder why doctors are now telling their overweight patients to eat low carb? Let's all wake up and start smelling the coffee here. It is the SUGAR that has created the mess we are in now, not the FAT. We've all duped for financial gain.

Last edited by KittyLove; 02-25-2007 at 02:12 AM.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #12
(female)

Islandgirl1970 HB User

Duh!!! Eating a pound of butter is not a "food item" it is a condiment. That's like saying eating a bottle of catsup is food! Silly rabbit. Atkins FYI advocates Olive Oil and not eating excess animal fat, it is not and has never been a "butter diet". There are so many misconceptions out there.

Kitty Love has it right and seems pretty well versed on the subject as I find that I am never hungry when eating proteins and fat, only when I consume carbs do I have strong spikes in my blood sugar that then crash causing incredible cravings for more carbs. Carbs and sugar are a very potent drug IMO.

Doctors recommend Low carb, as do all the multitudes of people who have lost weight. The low fat craze was the biggest scam in history, causing the highest obesity rates in the entire world, beating Europe where heavy cream, cheese and meats make up the staple of their diet.

Also what book are you refering to in to your statement.. "Buy this book and eat all you want...and lose weight!" It certainly does not in any way reflect Atkins cuz it is nothing to do with eating all you want. Many many people have already stated it did work for them so that is undisputed fact. It's a bit too scientific for some people who think that anything easy must be untrue.

The fact is simply that fat CANNOT be turned into glucose to be stored as fat. It does have calories when burned up in a lab and measured for kilajouls (sp?) but that does not mean the body treats it the same way. There are too many studies to name, I usually read the New England Journal of Medicine where there are several articles on low-carb diets and one study I read said a higher glycemic load was strongly associated with an increased risk of coronary heart disease! (Glycemic load is the sugar in the bloodstream, and you can see which foods are higher on the glycemic index. Protein, veggies and fat are low. Meat has 0. Can't affect blood sugar any less than that)

Old 02-25-2007, 06:23 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User

I'm not going to argue about this because I won't change your mind, and you won't change mine. Every time I speak my mind about low carb diets, I feel like my intelligence is being insulted because all of the rebuttals seem to say that I'd agree if I knew more. The fact that I don't agree doesn't mean that I've done less research or know less about nutrition and metabolism.

Last edited by cuddledumplin; 02-25-2007 at 06:29 AM.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:36 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
The fact is simply that fat CANNOT be turned into glucose to be stored as fat.
No, there is no need to turn fat into glucose to turn turn back into fat and store as fat, it is strored as fat exactly as is...as fatty acids THe bacon and sausage can be layered almost directly onto our bellies with veryy little digestion required.

Someone on Atkin's whose calories are less than he burns will lose weight, somebody on Atkins who eats MORE calories than he burns will get fat, The detary fat won't be burned, it will be directly layered onto our bellies, hips, and thighs.

Everytime I saw Atkins on the tube I always though I was looking at a fat man in an overlarge suit. The collar of his shirt cut into his neck and the flab overlapped. A couple friends said that's the same image THEY saw too.
When he was weighed by the medical examiner after death he was judged OBESE at over 255 pounds.

The low carb diet is a way to lower calories, NOTHING MORE. All the gassing about bodies not absorbing fat are so much hot air that makes sense only to the religiously indoctrinated. Eliminate ANY class of food and you are likey to lower calories.
This isn't rocket science: after all a meal with no potatoes or rice or bread or pasta or fruit or dessert is simply LESS FOOD. You could get the same effect by giving up all foods that begin with the letters A through P or indeed even eating only green, blue, and purple foods...or eating for only a minute at a time! Some fools do it by throwing up immediately after they eat.

LESS FOOD (calories) = LESS WEIGHT. All the rest is nonsense to sell diet books and make rich fat authors like Atkins even richer and fatter.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-25-2007 at 06:39 AM.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User

Right on, Lenin.

Closed Thread