It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
(male)

mattuknorth HB User
whats the best, most sensible way to lose weight without going to the gym?

hello all, this is my first time ever posting or even visiting a website anything to do with health

im 18 years old and have never before in my life thought about losing weight, but as you grow older u become more sensitive about the subject. anyway
at the moment i weight 195lbs (using some dodgy scales) and am just over 6ft tall but i would say i looked slightly overweight, all the fat if you like is on my legs and stomach but people just think i play rugby or something having big legs. (but rather than it being muscle its fat)

i would say i eat a lot of junk food, as for excercise all i do all day is walk around and probably dont sometimes sit down at all, which if i had an office job i'd probably be really overweight.

i would say im quite strong, as my job requires lifting heavy objects (appliances, bags of cement, fencing panels etc)

i am looking to loose weight to a sensible recommended weight as i say looking to loose weight in the legs, stomach and face but i would rather not go to the gym (due to the embarassment factor, i would consider it if i did start to loose weight as a method of keeping the weight off) i would however be willing to purchase some cheap and small gym equipment e.g. dumbbells

also any other tips on tracking progress and day to day ways of helping the weightloss process are welcomes

(end of rather long, time consuming text)

Last edited by mattuknorth; 02-24-2007 at 09:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: whats the best, most sensible way to lose weight without going to the gym?

matt,

It's FOOD, FOOD, FOOD.

Learn to count calories and just eat whatever you want only less of it than you are eating now.
It sounds like your job is vigorous so just add some long walks or some jogging.
BUT the core of weight loss is dieting.

Don't even view food as "healthy" or "unhealthy"...you can get fat by eating too much of either, and also get lean by restricing both.

The name of the game is QUANTITY CONTROL.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Definitely change your eating habits.. then at least give the gym a try later on! If you aren't comfortable working out with others, you can always go for walks on your own or buy some exercise equipment/dvd's you can do at home.

I would recommend not cutting out ALL junk food.. it's really hard to give it all up at once and I end up craving things if I do that. Just try to eat the right portion sizes and make sure you are snacking when you are hungry and not b/c it just tastes good. Sometimes it's good to measure out serving sizes and walk away from the rest of it. Try to add some fruits or veggies. Also try to stick to healthier carbs like whole wheat bread or wheat pasta. If you drink sodas (regular), cutting them out will cut a lot of calories. Just try little things and eventually those little things will make a big difference without having to deprive yourself. It's good to ease into eating differently.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Everyone has there own way of loseing weight and what works for some may not work for others...in the dieting programs that is.

so what Lenin mention is the plain simple truth... Food Food Food, is the reason we gain weight, it don't matter what Foods we Eat, theres some foods that taste a lot better than others and some foods have a better calorie count to them nurtious wise, but all foods have calories!
it all boils down to the same, its how much we eat that matters the most...so try cutting out some calories during the day if your consuming 2500/3000 daily, try lowering that by at least a 1000 calories a day to say around 1800, even 2000,be precise at counting calories write every little calorie down you put in your mouth or it wont work or you get lost somewhere in between the eating and the counting....if you lower your caloric intake on a daily bases along with just a mild workout exercise routine of about 45 minutes a day..you will lose.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

I suggest you eliminate the refined or "bad" carbs and eat more protein and veggies. Contrary to popular belief, It DOES matter what foods you eat.

For instance, if you are eating a lot of refined carbs this will break down into simple sugars which will wreak havoc on your blood sugar...you want to avoid those quick ups and downs and stabilize your blood sugar as much as possible. In short, you will constantly be hungry and end up eating too many calories per day. Protein and COMPLEX carbs will sustain you longer, and you will naturally and comfortably eat less.

Also keep in mind that even eating an excessive amount of complex carbs will cause weight gain. All carbs break down into sugar, BUT complex carbs break down A LOT slower. I suggest you limit your "good" carbs to under 200 grams a day for some weight loss. If you find that you are not losing weight, then drop that number by 10 grams every week until you see results.

Last edited by KittyLove; 02-27-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

well...
I was basic that on the foods of general dieting with useing common sense as to what foods you eat...the fact of the matter is its how much food you eat not what you eat if a person is trying to lose weight, my point would be you can not have that big bowl of ice cream then eat a big piece of chololate cake, you can still have it but in very small quanity like a bite, but the norm would be to stay away from those type of carbs while trying to lose weight /dieting.
even counting calories you still need to watch what foods you eat but with that said a person can still have what ever he/she wants to eat as long as its under calorie control and not for medical purposes or medical conditions.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
well...
a person can still have what ever he/she wants to eat as long as its under calorie control and not for medical purposes or medical conditions.

Chevyman,

A person eating a high-carb, low-fat diet AND counting calories will constantly feel hungry, deprived, and more inclined to overeat and cheat....and can you blame them? I've been there and done that. IMO, it's a recipe for disaster. Carbs should be limited.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I agree, if you over eat... any foods ,carbs- low-fat don't matter if you over eat you will gain weight. period!
I count calories and after doing soooo many diets out there some worked as to loseing the weight but if I get off of that skimmpy dieting it all comes back (weight) and then some...Yo Yoing,ect,,ect

Now this last year Last 15 months or so I have been counting calories precisely, write then down as a daily routine....I was only eating like 1500 calories a day for a man thats not good but I did it and after a while 6 months or so I up my calories to 1700 and still lost weight...now I just eat 1800 /2000 daily.
I don't eat a lot of high carbohydrates/sweets/deserts ect,,ect,,
I do try to balance out my meals and of course eat healthy foods , I just weigh my foods or mesure for accuracy, count the calorie intake in ''any giving food''.

when you count calories you need to prepare your meals in a way that is healthy, baked/brioll not fried no processed foods or fast foods, and drink water mostly, some times I do have a few mixed drinks (cocktails) ever now, and then and I do have a hamburger occasionaly maybe once every two months or so.

Anyway after I have tried most all the number one diets out there,counting calories is the only thing thats worked for me.
I have lost all the weight I need to, matter fact I am doing maintance, I exercise everyday and lift a few weights my arms(bicipes) can't go through my t-shirts as it is.... there getting to big...and I don't mean with fat

so counting calories has helped me more than I realize without having to do without the foods that I love! its just that you can't have as much as you once did.......I guess counting calories is a lot like portion control or moderation and some good old everyday common sense.
I have learn to count calories because eating to much food will do to my body and to much food= weight gain and with weight gain comes all kinds of medical problems.

I sure never thought it would runin my sex life tho! HA!

Last edited by chevyman; 02-27-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Closed Thread