It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Junior77 HB User
How many calories does beef have?

I just love going to the taco trucks. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet right now but every saturday I reward myself by going to the taco trucks. I order 4 tacos. The only thing is I can't count my calories when I eat those. So does anyone know how much calories beef has? And also how much fat?

Last edited by Junior77; 02-26-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Re: How many calories does beef have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior77 View Post
I just love going to the taco trucks. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet right now but every saturday I reward myself by going to the taco trucks. I order 4 tacos. The only thing is I can't count my calories when I eat those. So does anyone know how much calories beef has? And also how much fat?
I'm not sure how big your tacos are? but yes beef has a ton of calories also the taco shells do to.
thats just the shell and meat not counting the condiments ect,,,ect,,
I'd say a average size taco would be around 300 calories....BUT IF THE MEAT IS BOLIED THAT MAY MAKE A DIFFERENCE...I'm not sure on that?
ONE 100% BEEF PATTY HAS ABOUT 300.

I watch my beef...portion size that steak...grrrrr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Junior77 HB User

Maybe I can start ordering chicken with my tacos instead of beef. Maybe that can be a "healthy" version of tacos if i'm really craving them.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

Yes, the beef that you buy off the taco truck and the taco shells are likely to be quite fatty, not to mention if there is cheddar cheese on the tacos. Beef can be a good source of protein--if you buy the leaner cuts. If you crave tacos, why not make them at home? You can find lean ground beef in the store--it is more expensive than the higher fat stuff--but for less calories and fat, it is worth it. Usually, I can find 4% fat content beef at my store, which is pretty lean. You won't even taste the difference except to notice less grease. Another option is using ground turkey--again, try to buy the lowest fat content. Then, you just brown the meat, add taco seasoning (you can buy a package with the seasoning) and make your tacos. The beauty of making tacos at home is that you have much more control over portion sizes and can figure up the calories pretty closely--you can measure the meat, count the calories in the shell, use reduced fat or part skim cheese--especially if you top your taco with mozzarella instead of cheddar, the part skim mozzarella doesn't taste bad at all, and you can pile up the tomatoes and lettuce.

I think making tacos at home would be healthier than anything you get off the truck even the chicken taco because I'll bet the taco shells and cheese have a LOT of fat & calories. Or maybe if you must order a taco from the truck, trying to limit quantity--ordering just 2 or better yet, only 1 taco.

Last edited by livinTX; 02-28-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
(female)

lzing2 HB User

The secret to watching your fat in beef is to buy steak, even if you make your taco's at home, lean ground beef is still loaded with fat...your taco's are not a great choice, sorry....but there is a way to make a taco ok, and ok to your waist line...

Find a cut of beef (steak) that has little fat and ask the meat counter to then trim off all the fat & grind it up for you. Keep the portion of the beef to the acceptable amount of 6oz/serving or 3.5oz if your serious about loosing weight...use lettuce leaves as the shells and keep the cheese to the lowest fat-free mozza cheese you can buy....then your taco's might be ok.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Good Ideal Izing2,
I use ground lean turkey meat in the place of a lot of beef meals like meat loaf/manwich or taco's, and use the lettus leaf, only thing I read some where where the ''Ice Burg'' lettus has no nurtints in it what so ever.
I don't know how true that is?

junior77, try to uesing the lean beef or switch to the ground turkey, I can't hardly tell the difference from the two they look the same to me when there cooked.

or give ktt a post ask her, she is the lean cook around here these days...

Old 02-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
(female)

ktt HB User

Have to agree that those tacos you're buying are probably very high calorie much more than you'd probably guess. If you're really dying for the truck taco I would definitely limit the amount.

Everyone had great ideas for making your own. I usually use La Tortilla whole wheat wraps that are only 50 calories when I want mexican and then I fill them with leftover pieces of chicken, black beans, some brown rice, a little shredded cheese, red peppers, lettuce, tomato and salsa. I think they taste great and the average calorie count is about 150-200. I don't know about taco shells, if they are low calorie or have low calorie versions.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Junior77 HB User

Thank you all for those wonderful ideas. I think I can now fight off my beef cravings and substitute it with something healthy now.

Closed Thread