It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
(female)

jess1866 HB User
Thumbs up Does loving your body help weight loss?

To those of you who have never been to South Beach, FL I will explain...

About 300,000 models live and work here. You're not even looked at if you're over a size 5/6. Skimpy clothes are on everyone everywhere- afterall, it IS pretty hot here.

So yesterday after a day in South Beach with a friend I realized I wasn't happy with my body. Didn't like this, wanted to get rid of that, etc. Then I realized that I am 5'8 150 pounds and healthy! That my friends, is when it hit me- I LOVE MY BODY.

Don't get me wrong, I have some weight to lose. I was down to 135 and looked and felt better than I had ever. I want to go back to that weight and lifestyle. HOWEVER, I really truly believe that you have to love and want to "take care" of your body to lose the weight for keeps.

At ANY weight you should love your body. You should want to take care of it and if you're at an extremely unhealthy weight- your health is the BEST motivation.

Maybe I'm just blabbing, but I feel as if I do better with eating right and exercising when I love and respect my body versus when I hate it and almost make it a sworn enemy of mine. Afterall, we ARE on the same team

Old 05-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twiceblessed HB User
Re: Does loving your body help weight loss?

Jess - I agree with you a 100%! As with everything else, attitude is everything! I think a negative self image is as destructive to your attempts at losing weight as a cheeseburger!

Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree as well! I was depressed and had anxiety disorder and started taking care of it with a therapist.. and I feel better already! I felt a bit more confident. I just felt that if I hated myself emotionally, I hated my body too and wasn't able to be as healthy and good to it. I would eat when I was sad by accident and wouldn't have the energy to go work out. Now that I feel happier, I am able to be healthier. I take good care of my body. In the past I would set up rewards if I lost weight. Now I just go give myself a reward BEFORE and it actually motivates me. I tossed out clothes that made me feel bad and dress in things that are flattering to my body. I work with my shape instead of against it.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
(female)

lzing2 HB User

I have been to South Beach and your right it is home to beauty.

Lets keep in check however, that most of the women and men there are in there 20's early 30's; have not had a family yet; and well image is their world.

It is important to love your body, and if you have curves well, that is ok to. Men like them. Skinny is not always ok.

Not saying obese is either, we just need to accept what body type we are, work on making it the best we possibly can and treat it with health and respect.

The perfect models of SB will also find stretch marks in the future, and hips that move and expand after the baby comes, the boobs will sag, even the implants after time...and well the collegen does shift as well..
No one is perfect...no one.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

maggie0704 HB User

Jess1866 & Everyone else that battles w/weight:
I read your post & wanted to tell you that i admire you for pushing through your negative thoughts yesterday and coming out victorious!
But i couldn't help but feel envious when you said your height & weight. I guess body image issues can happen to anyone at any size. To me, that weight would be my dream. As i am 5'7 and weigh 192. I used to be 150 & even lower (138) but that was due to Adderrall and i ended up in rehab for that. But an unhealthy voice in my head misses that sooo much bcuz for the first time in a LONG time, i loved my body.
It has been 2 1/2 yrs. since i was that weight & due to 2 miscarriages i have put on 54lbs (due to depression i am sure). I can't even look in the mirror without feeling pure disgust and wanting to cry. I know that i am lucky and blessed for all that i do have and i know that it is selfish of me to focus on my body when things could be so much worse. But it is not something i can control. I can realize how lucky i am, and then it fades in a few minutes and i am back picking myself apart.

It used to be just my weight, but now i hate my skin (as it has changed since i turned 30 (now 31) & has blotches and moles on it and i am now fair skinned when i used to be oliveish toned. So i can't go in the sun bcuz i just burn and end up with a little tan that only lasts a few days.
To everyone in my life i am crazy.....they tell me i am beautiful and not fat , blah blah blah. But i don't see it and they get so frustrated with me, including my husband. But i see now that i get no glances from men when i used to get them daily along with them trying to pick me up. Now i'm lucky if i can get 1 glance a month from an old man.
Be happy with yourself regardless if everyone in South Beach is siz 0. I live in Florida and know how it is down there. Just remember the hell they probably go through and live in feeling the need to keep up with everyone and probably still not liking themselves. Set yourself apart from them by making your personality shine and the people that are actually worth it will flock to you. Listen to me giving advice when i don't even follow it myself
Just wanted to share how i am feeling right now & hope i didn't come across self-absorbed bcuz it is not about that at all. And i know that my self-image is really unhealthy and needs to be worked on.
good luck all!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
(female)

YorkieLuvr HB User

Good for you! It is so easy to associate self worth with what our "scales" show. We worthy of love and respect no matter what our size.

When we want to make healthier changes to our diets it is much easier to accomplish if we have our self esteem in check!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
(female)

jess1866 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie0704 View Post
Jess1866 & Everyone else that battles w/weight:
I read your post & wanted to tell you that i admire you for pushing through your negative thoughts yesterday and coming out victorious!
But i couldn't help but feel envious when you said your height & weight. I guess body image issues can happen to anyone at any size. To me, that weight would be my dream. As i am 5'7 and weigh 192. I used to be 150 & even lower (138) but that was due to Adderrall and i ended up in rehab for that. But an unhealthy voice in my head misses that sooo much bcuz for the first time in a LONG time, i loved my body.
It has been 2 1/2 yrs. since i was that weight & due to 2 miscarriages i have put on 54lbs (due to depression i am sure). I can't even look in the mirror without feeling pure disgust and wanting to cry. I know that i am lucky and blessed for all that i do have and i know that it is selfish of me to focus on my body when things could be so much worse. But it is not something i can control. I can realize how lucky i am, and then it fades in a few minutes and i am back picking myself apart.

It used to be just my weight, but now i hate my skin (as it has changed since i turned 30 (now 31) & has blotches and moles on it and i am now fair skinned when i used to be oliveish toned. So i can't go in the sun bcuz i just burn and end up with a little tan that only lasts a few days.
To everyone in my life i am crazy.....they tell me i am beautiful and not fat , blah blah blah. But i don't see it and they get so frustrated with me, including my husband. But i see now that i get no glances from men when i used to get them daily along with them trying to pick me up. Now i'm lucky if i can get 1 glance a month from an old man.
Be happy with yourself regardless if everyone in South Beach is siz 0. I live in Florida and know how it is down there. Just remember the hell they probably go through and live in feeling the need to keep up with everyone and probably still not liking themselves. Set yourself apart from them by making your personality shine and the people that are actually worth it will flock to you. Listen to me giving advice when i don't even follow it myself
Just wanted to share how i am feeling right now & hope i didn't come across self-absorbed bcuz it is not about that at all. And i know that my self-image is really unhealthy and needs to be worked on.
good luck all!
I'm so sorry that you have been going through some tough times, you sound like a lovely and intelligent young woman.

You're right, it's SO easy to give this advice and not take it yourself. That's a big part of the reason I created this post.

It's SO SO easy to get into the cycle of trying to lose weight the wrong way, not being able to lose, getting depressed, eating as a coping mechanism, and then feeling sorry for yourself. I've been there!

However, I think feeling sorry for yourself is the worst thing to do. You take away your ability to have control and power over any situation which is SO crucial to weight loss.

Instead of picking yourself apart, look at the body parts you love. Think about how good it felt to look at the body parts you loved when you were thinner. Use this as a motivator not another reason to feel sorry for yourself. One thing that works for me is the feeling of wanting to be comfortable in my own skin and not limit my LIFE because I'm not happy with my body. That's what I do when I don't go to the beach for the sole reason of not wanting to get into a bikini!

I suggest you start cutting back some "bad foods" and exercising. Exercising makes you feel so good about yourself.

Good Luck, I wish you all the best.

Last edited by jess1866; 05-08-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Closed Thread