It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

pagan21 HB User
Why do i always look pregnant?!?!

Im 20 years old and for the last 2 years i have had a problem where my stomach constantly looks pregnant and bloated. From the side on, my stomach looks extremely rounded - mostly at the bottom, and if i look straight down it looks like im pregnant! Until i was 18, I weighed 53kgs (no dieting and no excersise) and had a completely flat stomach, then slowly put on weight and am now 65kgs. When my stomach first started expanding i actually thought i was pregnant! I go to the gym 3 times a week, horse ride, walk my dogs and eat quite well, and am not overly concerned about my weight - i dont have too much body fat. Its only my stomach which bothers me. If i suck it in it looks nice and completely normal, but i dont want to have to suck in all day every day

One thing i considered was my contraceptive pill, but my GP said that its better to have a bit of a belly than risk getting pregnant, if that was the cause. But his only advice was to do more situps (i do 300 a week as is), which isnt very helpful! He also said its probably not a food intolerance as they don't just spontaneously develop, and ive never had a problem before. My stomach looks bloated all the time, even in the morning, but gets worse if i eat alot. It also sometimes gets painful down the bottom and really firm to touch - so even sucking it in won't hide it. I have alot of friends who are much heavier than me, and have a fair amount of stomach fat, but even if they dont suck in their stomachs are generally quite flat and definately not rounded like mine.

Im visiting a dietician soon to see what i can do about it, but in the meantime does anyone share my problem or have any advice? Cheers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Why do i always look pregnant?!?!

Do you have cysts? They can cause protrusion of the lower abs.

What kind of sit up are you doing? The body needs change. Doing the same exercises will eventually halt your progress. Try laying on the floor and lifting your legs up and down slowly. Keep your back flat on the floor If you find you have a space between your back and the floor then you need to not lower your legs to low until your gain a better posture. That comes with strengthing your lower abs.

Or you can lay on the floor with hands over your head and raise your feet straight up while raising your waist up off the floor and touching your toes with your hands so that the only thing on the floor will be your buttocks.

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 07-18-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:50 AM   #3
(female)

mum2five HB User

I was going to suggest cysts also, I have a huge one and looked and felt pregnant (dr actually said after my baby was born that I was still the size of 20wks preg, this was 20wks after he was born). My cyst was over 20cms diameter and I have photo's of my belly when laying down where there is a definate bulge.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
(female)

Kris07 HB User

Yikes! That sounds very scary. What did they do with the size of that cyst, Mum?

Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I had that problem, and it was completely caused by being on birth control pills. My belly was hard and bulgy over my uterus, and I actually looked pregnant and had a lot of water retention in my legs too. I looked more pregnant on the pill than I look now, and I'm almost 5 months pregnant (19 weeks). I stopped the pill, and the belly went away after a couple of cycles, and I lost about 15 lb. without much effort at all. Now, I am pregnant (but we were trying for a baby), and my belly still isn't that round and hard yet. Some women don't do well with hormones. I just had to use condoms until I was ready to try to conceive.

Last edited by livinTX; 07-19-2007 at 12:39 PM.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:36 AM   #6
(female)

pagan21 HB User

I dont think i have cysts! i Hope not! My doctor didnt mention anything about that so I dont think that could be the problem... If i'm lying down on my back there isn't a bulge.

I do both upper and lower abdominal exersises - i do classes so they alter the types of ab workouts each week.

I'm going to try a dietician in case its due to some kind of food intolerance... otherwise I'm thinking about going off the pill for a while to see what happens then. However, im not sure that its a good risk being off the pill just so i can feel better about my body! My doctor suggested a pill which wasnt as strong, maybe that should be my next option?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
(female)

rainingmoon HB User

I have also looked pregnant for ten years.
I did not meet my bio-father until 1998 so I did't know my medical history(there are about 2300 different conditions that match diabetes so the Doctor really can't just guess at how to treat your condition) and then I found out I am a diabetic.
My Doctor told me this is something almost all diabetics' have, a Round Belly.
I don't know for sure if this is what is going on with you but you might want to check with your doctor. My body has suffered much because I was miss diagnosed for so many years.
Maybe this will help you I hope so.

Last edited by rainingmoon; 07-24-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
(female)

jenavive HB User

I am diabetic and have looked pregnant for the past 5 yrs. I do know after having many surgeries that cut your stomach muscles....you will sag! I am 40 yrs. and just figure thats me?? Any advice send it on.........Jen

Closed Thread