It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
(female)

munchie11 HB User
Atkins

Hi everyone

I realize that the Atkins diet may not be a great option for long term weight loss and a low cal, well balanced diet may be better. But I just want to know, for those of you who have done atkins, did you lose alot of weight?

Thanks

Munchiexxxxxxxxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 05:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: Atkins

I lost weight with it. I lost more with weight watchers which is much healthier.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchie11 View Post
Hi everyone

I realize that the Atkins diet may not be a great option for long term weight loss and a low cal, well balanced diet may be better. But I just want to know, for those of you who have done atkins, did you lose alot of weight?

Thanks

Munchiexxxxxxxxxx
Any weight that I lost with Atkins (many years ago) was quickly gained back, plus some more. I probably lost 30 lbs and gained back 50 lbs (over about 8 months) and I was NOT eating too much. Just returned to a balanced menu that included carbs.

The problem with Atkins is that it totally disturbs your normal metabolic functions and when you try to return to "normal eating" (including carbs) your body can't handle it very well.

Atkins is most effective for people under 30 yrs old that only have about 20 lbs to lose and normally do not have a serious onging struggle with their weight.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I lost 24 pounds over a year on by-the-book Atkins (12 of them the first 2 weeks) and then the next six months NOTHING...not an ounce.
I lost a LOT of muscle mass, most noticeable in my quadriceps, and hated the way I looked because my face was "drawn."

After 18 months of this I switched to calorie counting and enjoying spaghetti and my weight loss resumed slowly. It took 3 years but I got the musculature back.

I do NOT recommend the Atkins Diet...mostly because of cardiac concerns from all that fat!

Last edited by Lenin; 08-12-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
(female)

not2late HB User

I have lost 10lbs so far in less than a month on a low carb way of life. Personally because of my pcos and insulin resistance I lose very little weight on low fat/calorie diets because they allow so many carbs and lead to massive cravings for more carbs.

I have no cravings whatsoever after eating low carb for a month, I eat many more veggies than I ever have in my life.

A typical menu for a day for me is:

Breakfast
mock french toast= eggs, cream, flax meal, splenda, cinnamon, butter and topped with sugar free maple syrup

Snack
cheese

Lunch
tuna salad with celery and cucumber and cheese

Dinner
chicken breast with mushrooms
salad with full fat dressing

Desert
cream splenda and blueberries

I have found this and many forums to be not as supportive of restrictive lifestyles such as atkins.

-R

Last edited by moderator2; 08-12-2007 at 08:28 PM.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

DebM412 HB User

I tried Atkins years ago. I did loose weight FAST but I also started feeling nausated. After I stopped I gained all of the weight I lost plus more.

I have been exercising since January 2007. I am now up to running 4+ miles per day. I also lift weights 2X per week. I have found that diet and exercise is the only healthy way to loose weight. I have lost 20 lbs since March-April and this is when I picked up the pace of the cardio. I do allow myself to eat a nice desert once a week. I do not starve myself either. It is best to eat 5-6smaller meals throughout the day than to gorge yourself 2-3 times per day. By doing this it speeds up your metabolism. If you give your body some food to run on it is happy. If you only eat when you are hungry/starving your body will store fat. It is a survival thing that our bodies do.

Hope this helps!

Deb

Old 08-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
(female)

guitarmom HB User

Munchie --

I have been on Atkins twice, once in my twenties and once in my fifties. Both times, the health problems forced me to abandon the program.

In my twenties, I lost weight receiving daily HCG injections. I got all the way down to 112 pounds. The medical staff told me that to maintain that weight loss, I needed to eat low carb for the rest of my life.

I lasted two years. At the end of those two years, my health issues forced me to go back to a more balanced diet. Here's the biggest problem with Atkins (or HCG): once you go off those programs, you gain back your weight.

I watched my calories and exercised faithfully for the next thrity years. I also slowly gained weight. After the birth of my fourth child followed by a horseback riding accident (arm broken into 100 pieces), I began to gain weight quickly.

About a year and a half ago, I read about a program where you ate low carb one day (to lose weight) and high carb the next (to replenish nutrients). I thought this would help me lose weight without the side effects from a total Atkins program.

I lost 15 pounds fairly quickly, but then totally stopped. Then the same health problems returned only worse (probably because of my age). Like Lenin, the scale would not budge. Only now I was scared because I didn't know how to go off the program without gaining weight.

Finally, I coudln't take it any more. I heard about the "Fiber 35 Diet" on PBS, and followed it to a "T." Imagine my horror when after six weeks, I stepped on my doctor's scale and found I'd gained 9 pounds.

(I'm happy to report that another six weeks has passed and I've lost that 9 pounds plus one more. I discovered "The Insulin Resistance Diet" by Dr. Cheryle Hart and Mary Kay Grossman. I obviously have a problem with carbs, and this diet mitigates that problem by ALWAYS balancing carbs with protein. I'm losing weight as easily as I used to gain it.)

My own opinion is that Atkins helps you lose weight quickly, but then tapers off. Its health problems long term are unmanageable. I do not recommend the program at all.

I wish you all the best.

Guitarmom

Old 08-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

The only thing I want to add here is that so many people refer to "carbs" as if all carbs are the same and equally bad for your health. Not only is it not true, but the effects of various carbs on metabolism and weight loss will vary from person to person.

For example, I can eat potatoes with no effect on my glucose levels or weight loss (I am a "recovered" diabetic) but I cannot eat pasta - it sends my glucose levels through the roof and when I get on the scale the next day I have gained 2 lbs in bloat. The opposite may be true for someone else.

So my advice here is to not quickly discount ALL carbs, but rather monitor what you eat (keep a food diary for a month) and learn about the intricacies of your own body. Some people will be able to tolerate certain types of carbs better than others.

Remember, carbs are not evil. They are the body's preferred fuel source - that is how nature built us. If you are "carb-challenged" then figure out which carbs you are not tolerating well and avoid them, but don't deprive your body of it's most natural fuel source and a healthy, balanced diet!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Adding to jd's thoughts, remember too that DIABETICS and pre-diabetics or people with Syndrome X or familial hypertrigyceridemia may have different issues with carbohydrates than people with normal metabolisms.

Because carb restriction works well for these certain conditions should not automatically cause EVERYONE to assume that diets like Atkins, Protein Power, South Beach are either safe or efffective as weight loss aids.

For most of the world's population, wheat or rice remain the "staff of life"...not salami and heavy cream. Pass the PASTA!

Old 08-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
(female)

desiii HB User

I have had the same experiences as not2late.

Atkins can be a useful diet when it's done right. But sadly, most people don't take the time to understand it or do it correctly. For instance, it's not just "lots of fat". Yes you can have more fats and oils during the first phase, but those become lower and lower as you work through the phases to a more balanced diet. The purpose for the initial low-carb, high-fat, high-protein phase is to clean the excess carbs out of the body and get it working off fat instead. It's not meant to be done as a long term thing. But that extra boost, losing weight faster in the beginning is often the push that helps people when they're first starting a diet. It's hard to diet, and very discouraging. But when you see the fat coming off, it really helps you stick with it. A lot of people also don't realize that the higher fat intake is not hard on the cholesterol levels when you cut carbs out. In fact, it actually lowered my mother's cholesterol. And when she eats low carb her degenerative arthritis calms down significantly - to the point that she can go off the pain meds and anti-inflamitories. As for me, I have had IBS since birth and have to avoid dairy and eggs. But on Atkins I can eat them without having any trouble.

I'm surprised how many people I run into who have no idea how many vegetables you have to eat on Atkins. You get way more vegetables in a day than you do with most other diets, and certainly more than most people eat in a regular diet.

In addition, because it is an intense system, you can't just go strait from phase one to regular old food habits. That will make you gain weight. That's why you have to follow the phases if you're going to do it right.

As for me, I've done the diet a number of times. The first was for over a year and a half. I started at somewhere over 200 lbs (not sure exactly, probably 210-215) and managed to get down to 150 lbs in about 3-4 months. I didn't work out immediatly when I started the diet, but eventually developed a regular workout routine. In that year and a half I did not gain any weight back.

I did end up eventually going back to some old habits years later. It's been over seven years now and I've never gained all the weight back. I have fluctuated though because I haven't been as dedicated to the diet over the last few years (I have a terrible sweet tooth! lol). Then earlier this year I got sick with a heart problem that forced me to do no activity, and started gaining more weight until I landed back at 190. I have hormone imbalance that also makes it very hard for me to lose weight and very easy to gain weight. Even on Atkins I lost more slowly than most do.

For the past few months I've been putting in good cardio workouts but eating normally. Haven't lost a pound. Gained a bit with the new muscle mass. But that's it. So I decided to finally go back to the low carb lifestyle for a while to compliment my workouts. I'm seeing resluts already after a few days. I've also always found that I gain quite a bit of healthy muscle on this diet. Sounds like not everyone experiences this, but I know I sure do. I do believe that exercise is an important part of dieting and weight loss. What I like about this diet is that you don't have to buy a single "Atkins" food product to do it successfully. In fact, I encourage people on the diet NOT to buy too many (if any) of the products. They're expensive and not needed. I've used them too much in the past and found it can slow the weight loss. My goal this time around is to only use them for the occasional craving, but not part of my regular meal plan.

I don't suggest Atkins or Southbeach are for everyone. They're not. Some people just can't go without the carbs, and that's ok. There are other good diets out there that work better for some people, like Weight Watchers and the Insulin Resistance Diet.

Closed Thread