It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

Ihatedieting HB User
I can't get my scale to move

I have been trying to lose weight for 5 months now, only had 23 lbs come off. I started eating 5 smal meals a day I exersize 1 hour aday 5 days a week and do pliates 3 days a week I know Iam eating at least 14-1500 calories a day I still feel like Iam hungry all the Iam trying to take it day by day Iam wanting to know what Iam not doing right Iam geting so faustrated I have not lost anymore weight in a few weeks now I have 75 lbs left to go and at this rate I feel like it's imposable

Old 09-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Re: I can't get my scale to move

hi,
1400-1500 calories should give you some weight loss....even if its just in ounces, any weight loss counts and sometimes if you don't see results at the scale maybe your loseing inches.
23 lbs is not bad for 5 months..but with the way your eating and exercising yeah I agree and see how thats frustrating.
Don't give up you hang in there Girl

Anyway try eating less carbs and a bit more proteine,add more veggies and keep the simple carbs to a minmium, you need carbs for fuel but not to many, try balance the meals you do eat with the nurtrints your body needs, proteines, veggies,grains,fruits,>fats like milk,and dairy.
just watch the calories.
maybe boost your exercise about 5-10 min longer or maybe do more cardio exercise and lift weights.
Plateau's are not fun thats forsure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

How are you measuring your calorie intake each day? Do you weigh and measure your food portions? Most people who don't weigh and measure end up consuming up to 30% more calories than they realize, simply because they are guessing wrong about portions. If you are truly exercising as much as you say (what type of exercise aside from the pilates?) then you should be losing with a 1400 daily calorie intake.

When you say that you have 75 lbs to go, it sounds like you might weigh over 200lbs now. If that is true, and you have been weighing and measuring your portions faithfully, then you may actually be eating too FEW calories, which would absolutely slow down your metabolism. 1400-1500 would be about right for a 200lb 5'5" female in her late 20's. At 250lbs that same female would need to be eating 1600-1700 calories to avoid "starvation mode" which occurs when your body preserves fat cells as a defense against starvation.

My guess though is that the first scenario is the case. The fact that your calorie level yielded results early on, but then stopped yielding results after your lost 23 lbs, implies that your new smaller body actually needs fewer calories than your larger body needed 5 months ago. As your body shrinks, your calorie requirements decrease, and most dieters hit plateaus because they fail to make that critical adjustment to their calorie intake.

Whatever you do, don't give up! you have been losing 5lbs per month and that is NOT bad! Now, you just need to fine-tune your plan to continue with your success.

Let me know if you would like any assistance with the calculations. I truly believe that precision in dieting can make ALL the difference in the world!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I agre with jdimassim.
but with that said, there was a member on hre about a year ago (Jeserygirl) or somethng close to that...anyway she was on a low calorie diet and she weighd around 290? I think thats what she said, she said she lost about 25-35lbs or so counting calories and then stopped all of a sudden, she lower her caloric intake and was exercising eating right doing all the right things to lose weight...I think she even tried down to 1200 calories for a few weeks and nothing? ..so she said!!/??..so we all ask her to up her calories to at least 1600-1800 and see what happens? she was discusted and I think she went on a hi-proteine low fat diet, I don't know what ever happen with her..she stop coming to the boards.
but a person does need to change there eating habits when loseing weight especially if they have a lot to lose... I'd say 100 lbs...you can lower your caloric intake on a bi monthly basis or depends how fast you lose, but you need to be careful and not go to low, I would say never go under a 1000 daily calories ''thats debatable yes''...

but if you go to low and start loseing weight and your happy you may not know it but your actually damanging your body, a person can be in starvation mode and not know it..that happen to me and I GOT REAL SICK, LAID UP IN THE HOSPITAL ABOUT 3 WEEKS AND THAT WAS NOT FUN. .. I almost died, and I injured my body by not eatting, and now I have no intsris factors in my stomach!
Theres no known reason why a person loseing there instric factors other than a form of lumkia/or excessive drinking of alchol...I had neither so the DR'S said it was I had done to my body (NOT EATING) the acids produce in my stomach ate up my instric factors THATS THE ONLY MEDICAL EXPLANTIONS THEY WOULD GIVE ME.

Instric factors thats the little things in your stomach that reaches out and puts the foods into the blood stream that your body needs to fuction , like proteine, fiber and B-12 MOSTLY B-12, It effects the central nervous system.
My symtoms were lose of weight , sleep all the time sleep settin up.... hands 'fingers tingling, feet swelling, feel hot all the time, dizzy spells, equal-liburium off, and lack of remembering things...and also depression.

So needless to say I have to take B-12 INJECTIONS THE REST OF MY LIFE AND I was very luckly I didn't die ..I was 26 when tht happen that was 12 twelve years ago.
So all in all if a person wants to lose weight for what ever reason that person needs to make a life time commitment with there way of living and eatting.
after you lose that may or maynot change your outlook on life ..It did mine and I TAKE GOOD CARE OF MYSELF/EATING RIGHT AND EXERCISE.

It would help if we know your age,weight and your hieght, body type maybe of some help? but I'm sure ''Ms jdimassimo'' can help you calulate your bodys needs.

If your at 1500 /1600 calories try 1200/1300 ..if you still don't lose then run up to 1800/1900 you maybe to low right now? I know that don't make a lick of sense but just do some esperimented, everyones different but were all humans and work pretty much the same way.
when you go down on your calores just go like a 100 and give it time to adjust like a couple weeks..in some cases.
remember to had fiber in your diet and drink lots of good ole cold water.

Last edited by chevyman; 09-12-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: can't spell instric factors right?

Closed Thread