It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
The 'idiot-proof' diet

I saw this in passing on a weight loss ticker site and I'm wondering if anyone has heard of it or has tried it.

It claims to help you lose about 9 pounds in less than two weeks by eating more than three times a day and swtching calories around or some stupid crap. I don't know about anyone here, but I find it extremely hard to believe that increasing your food intake will help anyone lose weight, especially those of us who suffer trying to lose weight due to lousy metabolism. I have tried the routine of 'eat 4-6 small meals a day every 2-3 hours' and it made me gain weight like crazy. I have never heard of anyone losing weight by eating more, but I guess any advertised diet can be made to sound legitimate with the right usage of words (I mean that's what advertisers get paid for - to manipulate people).

I would have found further details on this, but I wasn't going to spend money on information on this flop diet. I'm sure it also involves exercising, which I had a hard enough time doing before, but now I have an even harder time doing it upon having my asthma return after ten years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Re: The 'idiot-proof' diet

yes most fad diets are in it to make $$.

if your having trouble losing read jd post, she talks about eating meals & snacks and calorie wise she breaks it down so that if you do her 7 plans it will be eazy for you.
you need to mention your weight age and exercise status she can figure out your BMR and let you know what you have to do, sometimes a person does have to increase there calories, you just have to balance them out over the day, and with her plan she tells you how you can do that.
along with some cardio exercise and weight trainning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
(male)

gib HB User

Yes, the diets you're talking about involve exercise and is probably geared more torwards 'fit' people. Basically, it's to keep your metabolism revved up since when you 'starve' yourself your metabolism slows down to preserve energy reserves. This is what most fitness experts recommend, review the foods in the general diet guidelines and you'll see that there's a lot of protien involved, fruits, veggies.

Last edited by gib; 09-27-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:15 AM   #4
(male)

bigomanclad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger View Post
I saw this in passing on a weight loss ticker site and I'm wondering if anyone has heard of it or has tried it.

It claims to help you lose about 9 pounds in less than two weeks by eating more than three times a day and swtching calories around or some stupid crap. I don't know about anyone here, but I find it extremely hard to believe that increasing your food intake will help anyone lose weight, especially those of us who suffer trying to lose weight due to lousy metabolism. I have tried the routine of 'eat 4-6 small meals a day every 2-3 hours' and it made me gain weight like crazy. I have never heard of anyone losing weight by eating more, but I guess any advertised diet can be made to sound legitimate with the right usage of words (I mean that's what advertisers get paid for - to manipulate people).

I would have found further details on this, but I wasn't going to spend money on information on this flop diet. I'm sure it also involves exercising, which I had a hard enough time doing before, but now I have an even harder time doing it upon having my asthma return after ten years.

No offence but you really have to be blind to think that you can loose weight for good and not exercise, you may spend your life on fad diets, trying to loose that weight but your weight still continued to fluxuate up and down like a yo yo!!

As a matter of fact this is not actually a diet, this is a life style change. The fact that when you ate 6 times a day and gained a lot of weight suggests that you ate way too many calories, when they say eat 6 meals a day, they mean six meals of around 350 calories in addition to exercising at least 2 to 3 times a week. Eating six times a day will not make you put on weight, itís the number of calories that do. The idea behind eating six small meals is for a couple of reasons,

a) Prevents hunger
b) Aids your metabolism,
c) Your body recognises that it is getting the nutrients it requires regularly and so starts burning off the fat that it has stored.

I am sorry but I just canít see how you can permanently loose weight on any diet without exercising to some degree.

Hope this is of some help

B

Old 09-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I don't think a person has to exercise to lose?
if they eat healthy and mantain a certain amout of food intake (calories) but don't take me wrong, I agree that exercise does help with weight lost fast or slow but usally a good work out along with eating healthy will be a faster weight loss, and make you feel better.

There are some Folks that can't exercise to lose usally due to (medical problems or just to obese)..not even walking, I suggest for that type of person to try to lose down by eating less calories so that they can start some form of exercise.

what about the people on Atkins... if they do that diet like like Dr Atkins suggested they will still lose weight and mantain, altho Dr Atkins suggest some form of exercise.

I exercise 5 days week, but I don't exercise to lose weight...I exercise because it makes me feel much better, but with that said I did exercise when I was losing so I guess it became a habit with me..which I'm glad it did.

Last edited by chevyman; 09-28-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: add Dr Atkins

Old 09-28-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Quote:
they mean six meals of around 350 calories in addition to exercising at least 2 to 3 times a week.
Actually, my meals were rarely that high in calories. My usual 'small meal' was something like a slice of toast or a cup of coffee. And I still gained weight.

Quote:
I don't think a person has to exercise to lose?
They sure don't. I have a book called "Count Your Calories" that talks about how exercise will not aid in weight loss unless it is kept up continuously for years and the only way to achieve long-term weight loss is to drop calories. I managed to lose 70 pounds by just reducing my calorie intake.

I have a very hard time exercising because I get out of breath very quickly - even when I was 130 (healthy for my height), I huffed and puffed for air and it took me over 15 minutes to jog a mile. I also recently experienced a recurrence in asthma and this further inhibits my ability to exercise. Sooooo...cutting my calories is pretty much the only way I can lose weight because I'm not obese enough for gastric bypass or liposuction. The only exercise I can really manage is crunches and push-ups, and those do not do much.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
(male)

bigomanclad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger View Post
Actually, my meals were rarely that high in calories. My usual 'small meal' was something like a slice of toast or a cup of coffee. And I still gained weight.

They sure don't. I have a book called "Count Your Calories" that talks about how exercise will not aid in weight loss unless it is kept up continuously for years and the only way to achieve long-term weight loss is to drop calories. I managed to lose 70 pounds by just reducing my calorie intake.
No disrespect but thats cobs wollop!!!

eating less alone will not loose your weight! you may loose some, but as soon as you go back to eating normally the weight piles back on! I know of this book and its credibility has yet to be determined!! Its just like anyother fad diet. In the long run they don't work

a) They are inpractical for long term goals
b) Some are very unhealthy for long term use
c) as soon as you stop the weight piles back on

Oky you were out of breath when you were at 130lbs!!! what would suggest to you? Asthma is not the excuse I know because I am asthmatic and I do exercise at least 3 times a week! The fact that you weren't able to run suggests that you are unfit!! (Don't take this personally) Like anything fitness comes with training and perserverance. All you need to do is take a strole for 45 minutes in the park and each week increase either the length or the intensity untill you are running etc, When I was training for a 10km run, I felt my asthma actually disappeared as I become fitter and fitter!!

Regarding the calories, a slice of toast to me is not a meal and not even a small meal! that is what I would class as snacking! A small meal to me would be something like this;

a closed fist full of complex carbs such as pasta and rice,
a palm of lean protein such as chicken, fish etc.
and a hand full of veg or salad, with a piece of fruit!!

that would be roughly between 300 and 350 cals.

Doing this you WILL LOOSE WEIGHT!!! if you don't, see a doctor!!

I hope this doesn't sound bad because its not my intention to hurt you I am just trying to give advice

B

Old 09-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User

Eating more to lose weight - which is what I'm doing now.

This was a typical day for me:

No breakfast
1 sandwich for lunch with a bottle of water
6 tacos for supper
1 (LARGE) bag of chips for snack late at night.

My metabolism is in very slow gear.

This is NOW a typical day for me now

1 yoghurt and 1 piece of fruit for breakfast
veggie sticks/fruit pieces for snack
Sandwich and yoghurt for lunch - with juice or low fat milk
all bran snack bites for later afternoon snack
1 portion of meat, 2 veggies for dinner with milk
(too full to eat later snack).

Look at all the food I eat now compaired to what I ate before!!!
I have lost 4 lbs!!!!! I have way more energy now throughout the day compaired to what I have ever had before.

I can't exercise regularly at the moment because of extremely painful low back problems, but I walk 20 minutes each day.

I think it depends on WHAT you eat more of throughout the day to help you lose weight.

My caloric intake was probably more than 3600 calories per day, and now it's no more than 1800. I know it doens't sound like much, but I have energy like you wouldn't beleive throughout the day. It's awesome. I feel healthier, I no longer have stomach problems. My acid reflux isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. I'm not usually one to count calories, I just cut out the junk and substituted it for healthier choices.

I pick one day of the week to have something I like (unhealthy) but in a smaller portion, and I'm satisfied with it.

Last edited by Tamaralynn; 09-29-2007 at 09:07 AM. Reason: missed something out.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
(female)

jennilin HB User

I joined weight watchers the last of June and lost a total of 25 pounds over a two month period. After reaching what is referred to as a diet plateau and could not loose any more weight no matter what I did, I came across the ad for the Idiot Proof Diet. So in desperation and curosity I bought it. I was hoping that maybe it would at least help break the plateau. I am a firm believer that if I spend my hard earned money on something, then I am going to give it all I have. So I downloaded the diet and faithfully followed it for 11 days. At the end of the 11 days all I had lost was my money and my patience. They claim that if the diet does not work that you can request a full refund, well I looked everywhere for a way to contact them for my refund and there is no way to contact anyone.

This is how the diet is suppose to work. They give you two list of foods. You are ask to check at least 7-15 foods on each list. Then they have what they call a diet generator that takes those foods that you have checked off and they generate these foods into the diet that you are to follow for 11 days. You have four meals a day which consist of some really strange food combinations, you must drink 8oz. of water every hour. You can go to the diet generator any time you like and generate a new 11 day diet. At the end of the 11 days they tell you to take three cheat days and then if you need to loose additional weight then you can go to the diet generator, check off the list of foods and the diet generator will generate you another 11 day diet.

I lost no weight on this plan, nor did it help break the plateau. All I lost was my money, which by the way ended of being $55.00.

In my honest opinion, this diet does not work and neither does the diet that is advertised by a fireman who is suppose to be named Paul Weeks, 20lbs in 10 Days Weight Loss Program. Also, do not buy the book by Kevin Trudeau titled The Weight Loss Cure They Don't Want You To Know About. What he tells you in his book is not worth the money that you have to spend to get it. First he tells you about some sort of daily injection that can only be administrated by a physician. Something I've never heard of called HCG, (human chroionic gonadotrophin), drink 1/2 to one gallon of water through out the day, use colonic cleanes, avoid flouresent lights, eat only organic foods.....etc. etc. etc. by the way, there are four rediculous phases to his method.

I guess we keep hoping that some one will discover a secret food combination that will truly burn the excess fat that we have accumulated. That there is a secret cure out there somewhere. If there is, I haven't came across it yet. And I truly believe that all weight loss plans do not fit everyone because everyone is not the same.

The only thing that was true about the Idiot Proof Diet was that yes, I guess I was the idiot for trying it.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Oky you were out of breath when you were at 130lbs!!! what would suggest to you? Asthma is not the excuse I know because I am asthmatic and I do exercise at least 3 times a week! The fact that you weren't able to run suggests that you are unfit!! (Don't take this personally) Like anything fitness comes with training and perserverance. All you need to do is take a strole for 45 minutes in the park and each week increase either the length or the intensity untill you are running etc, When I was training for a 10km run, I felt my asthma actually disappeared as I become fitter and fitter!!
I think it's just my lungs are unfit, which is something I cannot really help. Besides, fitness is not what I'm going for - I don't really care whether or not I'm fit. I just want to be thin, and there's no point in me wasting my time and energy on exercise when it's something I don't need to do in the first place.

Quote:
My caloric intake was probably more than 3600 calories per day, and now it's no more than 1800. I know it doens't sound like much, but I have energy like you wouldn't beleive throughout the day. It's awesome. I feel healthier, I no longer have stomach problems. My acid reflux isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. I'm not usually one to count calories, I just cut out the junk and substituted it for healthier choices.
I'm really glad you have found a plan that works for you. But I don't think yours would work for me because I am not fond of yogurt at all - I was forced to eat yogurt for a full month while on antibiotics as a teenager and I have since been unable to stomach the stuff. Also, if I don't eat until I'm full during a meal, I will start snacking about an hour later, and I know there should be more space than that between a meal and a snack.

jennilin, thank you so much for the information on the diet I mentioned. I'm sorry it was a flop, but I guess it should be expected from advertised diets.

You say you've lost four pounds - I assume it took you about two months, right? I definitely am not that patient

Closed Thread