It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
(female)

maebelle HB User
Dr reluctant to prescribe meds for weight loss?

Hi everyone...46yr old female,5ft7 and 230 pounds! My son is 18 and my daughter is 5.After my son was born...he was 10 lbs...I failed to lose any of the 60 plus pounds I had gained.When my son had his 8th birthday and I viewed the pictures I was shocked.That couldn't be me???? Indeed it was!

A lady I worked with had lost alot of weight and I inquired.She had seen a DR who prescribed weight loss meds.I made an appt and was prescribed Adipex I was also given a low cal,low fat diet and exercise program.I ended up losing 60 pounds within 6 months.I only used the Adipex for 3 months.
I kept this weight off for years.The medication..although not a "miracle pill"
certainly helped me to kick start the weight loss.
After my daughter was born I didn't have too much trouble losing the weight.
When she 2 I began to gain alot of weight.
I have been given predisone for arthritis,fibro etc... consistently for the past few yrs.
Every DR brings up weight loss.Gee...Like I don't know that?
One told me the WEIGHT was all in my head.Here I thought all that weight was in my butt! I had asked about weight loss meds....
When the DR said that I felt so discouraged...like I am too weak to say no to foods and my brain needs retraining.
I asked another DR about weight loss meds and explained how it helped me initially in the past.
Why are they so unwilling to prescribe? I am obese...not just alittle over weight. Funny too that most of my DR's are skinny.Any input?Mae

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
(female)

MerelyMe HB User
Re: Dr reluctant to prescribe meds for weight loss?

Call your local hospital and ask for a referral to a Doctor in your area who specializes in weight loss.
Some Doctors are reluctant, because they are unfamiliar and uneducated on the weight loss drugs available.
Be sure to see a Doctor recommended by a hospital, there are a lot of fly by night quacks out there.
good luck

Me

Old 10-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

TemporarilyFat HB User

hello everyone,

i am 5'5'' and weigh 239 pounds. i want to see if my doc can prescribe weight loss meds to me but every time i have gone to see my primary doc in the past, he always refers me to a dietician. the funny thing is, i know exactly what i'm supposed to be eating. the problem is, i'm always hungry. i'm putting in an hour and a half at the gym at least 4 times a week. i'm not a lazy person. my diet is just horrible and the scale won't budge. i'm 32 and i am starting to feel like i'm destined to be the size i am.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Hi TempFat. What is your diet like? I'm always hungry too.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
(female)

TemporarilyFat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Hi TempFat. What is your diet like? I'm always hungry too.
i will admit that my diet is terrible. i always start a day saying that i'm going to eat right but i never do. i tried to do atkins for awhile and that didnt work because i started at the maintenance level which is pretty much for maintaining weight not to lose. i have a mother and sister who live with me who are overweight and have zero interest in eating healthy. since my sis does most of the cooking, about 75% of what she cooks is deep fried. and then she makes these homemade chocolate chip cookies about 3 nights a week that kills me. i'm taking fish oil, flax seed and cranberry tablets along with a one a day pill everyday. like i mentioned in my earlier post, i exercise 4times a week which includes 45 minutes on the crossramp and another 45 doing some sort of strength training. i've been doing this since march of this year and i have not lost any weight. if i could get my diet on track, i know my weight would fall off. i just cannot get past the eating!! hmph!!

Closed Thread