It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 03:32 AM   #1
(female)

Sparklybeck HB User
Fruit on weight loss diet

Hi

I'm 22 yrs old, not overweight, but want to lose the 7 or so pounds I put on in 5 weeks in America. I'm going for the good old healthy eating / restricted calorie / exercise thing, whic has worked in the past, but have a question about fruit - if I get hungry, I will almost always go for fruit (usually apples) for obvious reasons, but is eating too much on a diet a bad thing? I want to get some fat of my stomach, and I know fruit is high in natural sugars, so would fruit hinder any weight loss / fat loss in certain areas? I'm not talking gorging on fruit all day - probably about 4 / 6 pieces, whic hI know you're supposed to have anyway, but on a diet?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
(male)

bigomanclad HB User
Re: Fruit on weight loss diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklybeck View Post
Hi

I'm 22 yrs old, not overweight, but want to lose the 7 or so pounds I put on in 5 weeks in America. I'm going for the good old healthy eating / restricted calorie / exercise thing, whic has worked in the past, but have a question about fruit - if I get hungry, I will almost always go for fruit (usually apples) for obvious reasons, but is eating too much on a diet a bad thing? I want to get some fat of my stomach, and I know fruit is high in natural sugars, so would fruit hinder any weight loss / fat loss in certain areas? I'm not talking gorging on fruit all day - probably about 4 / 6 pieces, whic hI know you're supposed to have anyway, but on a diet?
On diets I believe one should not count fruit in there daily calories as they are essential for a healthy diet. I would say that don't worry about the sugars in fruit as they are different to the types of sugars found in sweets etc. The sugar in fruit is known as fructose which is one of the easiest forms to digest, the body utilises the fructose as energy which is introduced to the system at a more gradual pace than sucrose or glucose. So this type of energy is prefered for people who do endurance.

On the weight loss front, if you want to loose the excess 7lbs it will take a lot of work, remember the less weight you have to loose the harder it is!! What exercise plan do you have?

My own personal recommendations is to start intensifying your work out. ie do what is known as interval training. say cycle for 5 mins at a steady pace and then speed up to your maximum intensity for 2.5 minutes then back down to steady for another 5 etc. Intensity is the key!!

Last edited by bigomanclad; 10-08-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

You do need to count the calories in fruits but if you eat the limis as 4 fruits a day would be then yes count them., but as a snack you don't need to if you keep your calories at a limit say under 1400 1500 daily if you go over your limit then yes count the calories in all fruits.
counting calories is just what that means you count all calories, its just as a snack or filler you don't have to put them down, I don't count the calories in veggies if I eat in moderation say veggies 1/2 cup this 1/2 cup of that ect,,ect,, the calories are in the meats and proteine and of course the carbs. thems the calories you need to forsure count.
but not to sound like I'm on a two way street , but yes your suppose to count all calories no matter what.
maybe this question lies with the dieter?

Last edited by chevyman; 10-08-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 AM   #4
(female)

Sparklybeck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigomanclad View Post

On the weight loss front, if you want to loose the excess 7lbs it will take a lot of work, remember the less weight you have to loose the harder it is!! What exercise plan do you have?

My own personal recommendations is to start intensifying your work out. ie do what is known as interval training. say cycle for 5 mins at a steady pace and then speed up to your maximum intensity for 2.5 minutes then back down to steady for another 5 etc. Intensity is the key!!

I go jogging about 4 times a week for between 20 / 30 minutes, and I'm going to be joining a gym today hopefully, if I can afford it! There I'll probably do some cycling in the way you suggested, free weights, probably some running, and all the machine things in there. I'm not exercise's biggest fan I have to say, and I do find motivation very difficult to keep up because as soon as it starts to hurt a bit I tend to want to run away (or rather, crawl away) and hide! Thanks for your suggestions though

Old 10-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
(female)

kristy222 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigomanclad View Post
On diets I believe one should not count fruit in there daily calories as they are essential for a healthy diet. I would say that don't worry about the sugars in fruit as they are different to the types of sugars found in sweets etc. The sugar in fruit is known as fructose which is one of the easiest forms to digest, the body utilises the fructose as energy which is introduced to the system at a more gradual pace than sucrose or glucose. So this type of energy is prefered for people who do endurance.
Sorry, but it is wrong to suggest that fruit should not be "counted" as part of daily calories when trying to lose weight. All food calories count as part of your daily intake regardless of whether they are from "healthy" or "unhealthy" foods. It is possible to over-eat healthy foods just as easily as unhealthy ones. Yes fruit provides important nutrients (vitamins and minerals) but it also provides calories and overdoing it can lead to weight gain or stall an attempt at weight loss.

If the diet is otherwise well-balanced (i.e sufficient amounts of vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low-fat milk products), then more than three servings of fruit per day is unnecessary from a nutrient perspective and will be adding extra calories to the diet. Even though the sugars in fruit are "natural", they are still treated by the body in the same manner as all other sugars including sucrose.

Contrary to popular belief, fruit is not made up solely of fructose, but rather a combination of sugars including sucrose, fructose and galactose. In fact, many fruits have a higher proportion of sucrose than fructose. So the assumption that fruit sugars are "better" than added sugars because they are "natural" is incorrect. All sugars are broken down into the simplest sugar - glucose which becomes "blood sugar" (blood glucose) and is ultimately used as energy.

To the original poster - it really depends on what else is being eaten in the diet, but 4-6 pieces of fruit could stall weight loss by adding excess calories to the diet. I would say limit fruit to 3 servings per day. 6 pieces is definitely too high (that would be about 600 calories worth of fruit). 6 pieces of fruit means that you are either over-eating (i.e taking in too many calories) or you are displacing other important foods with fruit (i.e vegetables or dairy products).

As far as "Fruits & Vegetables" goes, the focus should really be on vegetables from both a nutrition and weight management perspective.

Closed Thread