It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
(female)

AnubianJackal HB User
Question Need Some Advice In Losing Weight

I am 24 years old and weighed 250 for several years. I was able to climb the stairs and run and walk for hours without getting tired fast. Though I knew 250 pounds for my 5 foot 7 height was not healthy. Well I decided to get on the Depo provera shot. Of course my nurse and mother told me big mistake. I have a really horrible memory in taking pills at the right times. So I needed the shot. Yea big mistake. I gained a good 60 something pounds in one year. Now I weight close to 300 pounds. I feel horrible. I have a hard time walking for even 10 minutes. I still eat the same, but I eat late at night when it is time to sleep. So I know I need to push my eating times earlier.

Now as for a diet. That will not work with me. You see I am really picky when it comes to food and vegetables are a dislike. I do not like salad or anything that is green like Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Fruits. Well another joke. I don't like oranges, apples, pears, peaches, grapes. So eating the healthy foods wont work for me because I get sick to my stomach when I eat something I don't like.

I mentioned it to my Doctor and she made a face at me and still made me see a dietary lady. It didn't help because I was told to eat the stuff I do not like. If you told me to force myself to eat it. I get sick and throw it up.

I tried exercising but I can only do 10 minutes a day of walking. But then my pressure rises and I get sick that I have to sit. I am also on pressure meds. So I am feeling down that I cannot loose this extra 60+ pounds I gained in a year.

Yes I stopped taking the shot. My appointment was this week so I canceled it to see if my hormones and possible extra small weight goes away. I know it did for my mom years ago.

But I am curious. I have Green Tea pills (no hoodia in it) in my cabinet. Does that help? Also what about this Slim Seduction weight loss pill? I need advice on at least something to help me and boost my energy but not mess with my pressure. I'd ask my Doctor, but as I mentioned in other posts my small town Doctors never answer my questions like they never hear me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
(female)

kristy222 HB User
Re: Need Some Advice In Loosing Weight

I am sorry but the reality is that diet pills do not work. There is no such thing as a quick fix or an easy out. If there was, everyone would be thin. As well, many diet pills contain caffeine which can increase blood pressure - something you do not want.

What works is REDUCING your food intake (calories) and INCREASING your energy expenditure (exercise). I know you can't exercise much, but any light activity you can do at this point will help. Even if it is just sitting in a chair and doing arm and leg raises.

As far as diet - you do not *have* to eat "healthy" foods to lose weight. Obviously it would be beneficial if you did, because fruits and vegetables offer nutritional and health benefits way beyond weight loss. BUT...weight loss is a simple matter of expending more calories than you consume. And you can do this by eating less (smaller portions) or making simples changes to your normal eating habits that would reduce your calorie intake.

It is difficult to know how much less you should be eating, or what some appropriate changes could be for you, since you have not indicated your current calorie intake or what a typical day of eating is for you.

If you were to let us know typically what you consume in a day, we could give you suggestions for modifiying these foods to reduce the calories.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

AnubianJackal HB User
Unhappy Re: Need Some Advice In Loosing Weight

Well since I have High Blood Pressure. I have to make sure I intake less than 1500 grams of sodium. But I do not know what my calorie intake is. I eat like maybe two meals a day but since I have insomnia I crash during the day and sleep and I am up at night till 8 AM or at times 12 PM. I honestly do not know what my calorie intake is since I do not keep count of that and it is hard at times to do so when I do leave the house and eat out. You see I am home all the time for 50 days straight. Lately my food intake is a lot of Cheerios. I don't go grocery shopping much since I do not drive and own a car and can hardly find someone to take me shopping. So if I am brought TV dinners, Cambels soup, chili, Ramen noodles, and ham burger helper. I am happy just to get that. If I take in less food intake I would eat only one thing a day sadly.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
(female)

Little Leaf HB User
Re: Need Some Advice In Losing Weight

Well AnubianJackal, I do not want to sound mean or hard, but there comes a time when you need to grow up and take responsibility. You don't like fruit and you don't like vegetables. You only eat what people bring to you. If you don't take charge of yourself and make some changes soon you are going to be in serious trouble health wise. You said you have been house bound for 50days, why? Are you recovering from an illness or surgery? You said you don't drive, can you walk to a local grocery and buy food in small amounts that you can carry home? As anyone on this board will tell you, losing weight is hard and it takes commitment and time and a LIFE STYLE change. No one can do it for you. You said you gained 60 pounds in a year, well a reasonable assumption would be it would take you a year to take it off. It is not impossible. Anything worth having is worth working for. You can't just stop taking a shot and wait for the weight to fall off. You need to do something. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but it is a fact. YOU CAN DO IT if you try, but only you.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnubianJackal View Post
I am 24 years old and weighed 250 for several years. I was able to climb the stairs and run and walk for hours without getting tired fast. Though I knew 250 pounds for my 5 foot 7 height was not healthy. Well I decided to get on the Depo provera shot. Of course my nurse and mother told me big mistake. I have a really horrible memory in taking pills at the right times. So I needed the shot. Yea big mistake. I gained a good 60 something pounds in one year. Now I weight close to 300 pounds. I feel horrible. I have a hard time walking for even 10 minutes. I still eat the same, but I eat late at night when it is time to sleep. So I know I need to push my eating times earlier.

Now as for a diet. That will not work with me. You see I am really picky when it comes to food and vegetables are a dislike. I do not like salad or anything that is green like Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Fruits. Well another joke. I don't like oranges, apples, pears, peaches, grapes. So eating the healthy foods wont work for me because I get sick to my stomach when I eat something I don't like.

I mentioned it to my Doctor and she made a face at me and still made me see a dietary lady. It didn't help because I was told to eat the stuff I do not like. If you told me to force myself to eat it. I get sick and throw it up.

I tried exercising but I can only do 10 minutes a day of walking. But then my pressure rises and I get sick that I have to sit. I am also on pressure meds. So I am feeling down that I cannot loose this extra 60+ pounds I gained in a year.

Yes I stopped taking the shot. My appointment was this week so I canceled it to see if my hormones and possible extra small weight goes away. I know it did for my mom years ago.

But I am curious. I have Green Tea pills (no hoodia in it) in my cabinet. Does that help? Also what about this Slim Seduction weight loss pill? I need advice on at least something to help me and boost my energy but not mess with my pressure. I'd ask my Doctor, but as I mentioned in other posts my small town Doctors never answer my questions like they never hear me.
Hi,
I'm not sure if you have been having a weight problem most of your life or not? but if you want to lose it does takes a lot of hard work and detremation /motivation and you need that the rest of your life ''obviously''

I would suggest you check into the laperscopic by pass RNY gastric by-pass, its not as abrasive as they say it is, its one night stay in the hospital in most cases, and it will change your life forever, for the better mostly health wise and yes vain reasons, you do have to follow the rules, but other than that its pretty neat.

you can at least look it up or go to the OH board (obesity healthboard)and ask questions.

I understand its a pretty simple surgery, but in all surgerys theres a risk factor to concider,a Good Baractric sugeron will tell you all about it and if your BMI is 0ver 35 then you qualify, theres serveral types of gastric by-pass surgries , theres the lap-band,(no surgery with the band other than a small incission) the sleeve and then then the genereal by-pass thers two ways for that, either the old fashion way where they cut you down the middle about 8 inches and do the by=pass
or the most popular the ''laposcopic'' LAP -RNY thats only about 4 little incission about half inch, closed with a band-aid or just 2 or 3 stiches, and the sugery its self only takes about 40 minutes, what they do is put you on a liquid diet for 7 days then you enter the hospital and have the surgery, after you wake up you may be in a little discomfort with gas bloat, but walking up and down the halls will help with that also most sugerons will use a morphine pump for pain it will last for 3 days and you can just take the pump out yourself, it will be on the outside down close to where you had the surgery , you just simply pull the two little wires out slowly.

This surgery you will have the top of your stomach cut off and the surgeron will make you a new pouch about the size of your thumb this will be your new tummy, the laposcopic they use a fine medical tool that when it makes the cut the first time it also sews up at the same time, and the by-pass is made to reconnect to your drumduleum at the bottom of your intestines-- hench the RNY-by pass.

I think this type of surgery is wonderful for people that have trouble loseing weight, and a hard time coping with all the different diets due to the weight gain.
All the people I know have got off there blood presure meds the dibetics are off there meds, off cholorestrol meds ect,,ect,, and in general all are in 100% better health.

You will have to follow the rules TAKE VITIMANS AND IRON, PROTEINE Supplements but that comes second nature, and eat the things they tell you you can have for about 3 or 4 months then you can eat what you want, some foods that you love to eat BEFORE you may not want that anymore like greasy foods ect,,ect,,your taste will change but not all that much the thing is you eat less to get full and consuming about 500/800 calories daily your sure to lose, and with out being hungry.

I'm not saying that you should have this surgery or its best for you, I have just seen a lot of people that has had this surgery and it change there lives forever and for the better, there all in great shape now feel 110% better buy nice fitting clothes and just in better health all the way around....''literally''

Now with this said theres people that have a negative way of thinking about this, PEOPLE LIKE THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO BE OBEASE, this is of course is your choice and your surgeron or Family Dr can help you with your choice...But mostly its you that has to make the decision...as it is with your decision to diet and eat more healthy!

Its something to think about and read up on reserch it... go to the oh board (obisity healthboard) theres a lot of nice good folks there thats either pre-opt or had the surgery and can answer any of your questions.

This is just a suggestion and my opinon, good luck you in what ever you decide, I wish you well.

Last edited by chevyman; 10-11-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: miss spelling, sorry!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
(female)

Little Leaf HB User

I thought I had better put a foot note in here, so people don't think I don't know what I'm talking about. I go to Weight Watchers, when I started I weighed 210, I am now 129 and 9 pounds away from my goal. I have been doing this over a year. At 5' nothing 210 is alot of weight. I had to make many changes in my life. So I know it can be done.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Little Leaf ,Thats wonderful
keep up the good work and I bet your at goal in about 3 weeks! 120 sounds perfect to me..
Good Luck.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
(female)

Little Leaf HB User

Thanks, I wish only 3 weeks. I think the most I ever lost was 2 lbs in one week. This has been a long slllooooowwww process. BUT it is working and I am much healthier for it.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

AJ,

I hate to sound harsh, but you really need to take some control of your lifestyle. This isn't just about being overweight, it's about your wellbeing and health, in general. I don't care if you don't LIKE vegetables and fruit, you NEED them. You are an adult, and surely you can find a way to fit them into your diet.

If you continue down your current path you WILL become ill. Diabetes would be the primary concern, especially since your diet is so poor. Once diabetic, you are at risk for vision impairment, kidney failure, liver ailments, nerve damage, and many other problems. I am not exaggerating to scare you. It is real, and you don't want to find yourself at 35 years old wishing you had done something to prevent it all when you were 24. It's your LIFE we are talking about.

Here is my deal. I have always had a weight problem, but back in 1990 I quit smoking and subsequently developed hypothyroidism. I gained 100 lbs to over 300. I simply gave up thinking I was so stuck that I excused myself to just eat whatever I wanted. I gained another 50 lbs over the next 2 years. I lived at a weight of 370 lbs for 10 years. I developed diabetes, which ultimately led to early stage kidney disease and nerve damage. My cholesterol had elevated to 370! Finally, in 2003 my doctor told me that if I didn't do something I would die within 2-3 years. He told me that the only person who could save me was me.

I opted for a complete lifestyle change. I researched and studied to figure out how I could turn my life around and fix all that had been broken in my dying body. To make a long story short, I learned to like what is good for me and not only lost over 140lbs, but completely reversed my diabetes, cholesterol, and nerve damage (which is pretty miraculous). Unfortunately, my kidneys are permanently damaged which will ultimately result in a shorter life than I had hoped for. Every day I live my life with the goal of reversing the aging process. I am still about 50 lbs overweight, but I have never felt better (physically and emotionally) and I look better, perform better in my job, have more energy, and can even experience love a little better!

I don't mean to sound preachy here, but its time you stop making excuses and take responsibility for your own physical health and wellbeing.

I can only try to motivate you some, and show you the path, but you have to WANT to change from within. Nobody can help you with that but yourself.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-13-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User

AJ,
Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but pretty much what everyone else has written is the truth. You and only you can change your life and your health. I know it isn't easy but it is necessary to change; not just how you live but how you think. You can't simply sit around complaining and making excuses, playing the victim. Plus if you are supposed to be watching your sodium why on earth are you eating things like ramen noodles!?! They are some of the most horrendously unhealthy, high sodium products out there!!! You really need to listen to your doctor and your nutritionist, they know what is best for you. Plus, that garbage about not liking fruits and vegetables, GROW UP!! It only takes a matter over weeks to reprogram your taste buds and thinking positive will make it much easier. Educate yourself on nutrition, health and how to read nutrition labels. Once you get going you will be amazed at how much better you feel. Plus when it comes to exercise variety is key, as well as finding things you enjoy. There are a lot of great websites that can give you support as well as help you track your calories and exercise. Find one and join-just make sure it's reputable. Men's Health is also a great magazine. Just remember that you are worth all the effort, don't just survive life, get out and LIVE IT! GOOD LUCK!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
(male)

boy1der HB User

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi there, i'm new to this site and i'm realy beginning to clutch at straws here and i'm looking for any type of help really. Sorry for interupting a thread but having sussed how to post my own thread yet.

The story goes.............

I'm a 23 year old male with 3 kids. 1 daughter (3) 1 son (6months) and 1 stepson (6). i spend all my time at work or at home taking care of the kids.me and my partner recently come into some money worries and we both had to take up full time employment to make ends meet. i get no real time for myself and have balooned MASSIVELY in the last 3 years for 10 stones to 16.5 stones. I know it sounds crazy but i comfort eat a HUGE amount. A lot of people comment on my weight and the jibes just encourage me to eat more to ease the pain and heart attack.

I have recently started to have a tremendous amount of trouble going to the toilet and get stomach cramps alot. I'm in the process of changing doctors so i have no real medical consultation at all at the moment. An i'm beggining to wonder if i'm poisoning my body and getting worried that i'm about to end up like Elvis dying on the toilet.

Any advice would be a great help, i'm at my wits end and am starting to think my partners beginning to find me less attractive.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread