It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

Indychick829 HB User
Insulin Resistance - Metformin???

Hello! I was recently diagnosed with Insulin Resistance and my doctor has put me on the medication, "Metformin".

I am wondering if any of you here have IR and if anyone is following the IR Diet (or a healthy-carb diet of sorts).

I'm NOT Diabetic nor do I have PCOS - which are the two main health issues which metformin is normally perscribed for. I've only been taking the pills for two days now (and this first week is with my nightly meal) - but yesterday and today I HAVE noticed a HUGE difference in my appetite. I move up to 2 pills a day (lunch and dinner) next week.

My problem is - with the Insulin Resistance - when I eat too many processed carbs as well as not eating protein along with my meal and or snack - my blood sugar / insulin spikes and it's stored as fat instead of getting burned off. I lost 60 pounds 3 years ago on WW but slowly put it back on - especially after going on birth control pills (which the one i was on, i am convinced made things worse and stopped me from losing any weight and possibly contributed to me gaining 40 pounds back). I lead a healthy lifestyle - no soda pop - eat lean meats - whole grains - exercise 2 - 3 times a week - and yet I've not been able to lose ANY of the weight i've gained back.

So after talking to my doc and getting blood tests done - she diagnosed me with insulin resistance and put me on Metformin. So far so good - again, only 2 pills - but the appetite has been suppressed yesterday and today and I've had NO side effects at all.

She also suggested I try the "Insulin Resistance Diet" - which honestly only changes a few small things about the way I currently eat (which before I just wasn't getting enough protein).

So ANYWAYS...after that long introduction...I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue and has been perscribed Metformin - and have you lost any weight on it? TIA!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
(female)

cherr1e HB User
Re: Insulin Resistance - Metformin???

Hello! I am also Insulin Resistant, so my dr also put me on Metformin. I am over weight, and wanting to conceive in the future and IR can make that difficult! Been taking it for a little while now now, I have not lost any weight yet but I have had side effects and I only take it once at night to try to keep the side effects to a minimum. *side effects-diarrhea* But I hope it works really well for you! Would like to know more about the diet you are doing... I don't drink any type of caffeinated drinks, usually just water. But, I am having a hard time with the carbs!
miscarriage at 7wks 5/9/09.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
(female)

Indychick829 HB User

Hello!! The book that my doctor suggested is called, "The Insulin-Resistance Diet" by Cheryle Hart - i got mine at the local library <removed>. I'm still not 100&#37; sure on EVERYTHING yet - but it seems great so far - pretty much how I already eat - just much more "balanced"...

And the great thing is - it states you SHOULD eat carbs - you just need to eat the healthy carbs and balance it with protein - but it ALSO lets you eat the processed carbs - as long as you link those with protein.

Basically at any meal or snack (which should be at least 2 hours from your previous one - there's a "two hour fat window" they talk about) - the amount of carbs you eat - you should have at LEAST half of those grams balanced in protein. ie: 15 grams of carbs - have at LEAST 7 grams of protein. and 30 grams of carbs - have at LEAST 15 (of course you can have more protein - but should also eat the healthy carbs...)
I tend to have higher protein meals now, anyways, and I have to say, "it's ok. you CAN HAVE the carbs / fruit / whole grain bread with this meal because you NEED to balance.

Although it says you should ONLY have 30 grams of carbs at the most at each meal...but it also says - frozen meals ARE a good choice, as long as the balance is there - same with protein bars, other processed foods, etc...

I really like the book and the things it has to say.

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-20-2007 at 12:31 AM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 10-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I have Insulin Resistance also..........When I was younger I had a mild form of PCOS that was never really diagnoised.....I was always thin and had 3 children but had a few other symptoms like more than normal body hair, weight on my tummy....but my IR showed up at age 47 and I am now 54......... My Doctor explained that you can have a mild form of PCOS and not know it.......not everyone with PCOS is overweight or has irregular periods.

I have been on Metformin for 3 months now...........my side effects did not show up until I was on it about 2 weeks then I had some stomach upset.....and hunger....... I am on 1000 twice a day......It is better now...but I make sure to eat before I take it....

I will tell you I was following the South Beach diet for an entire year before I was put on Metformin.that book has quite a bit of information on low glycemic diets....I now eat about what I want.....I watch my carbs and sugars.....I have lost weight and can eat more normal now without gaining a ton of weight......I do exercise and watch what I eat.

Did your Doctor check your magnesium? That is usually low also if you have IR. My blood sugars are normal but my 2 hour insulin was elevated.......
I get my blood retested next week.......

My Endo called it Syndrome X , Metabolic Syndrome or Insulin Resistance.

Hope this helps..........we are all learning............Oleander

Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
(female)

Indychick829 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
I have been on Metformin for 3 months now...........my side effects did not show up until I was on it about 2 weeks then I had some stomach upset.....and hunger....... I am on 1000 twice a day......It is better now...but I make sure to eat before I take it....

Did your Doctor check your magnesium? That is usually low also if you have IR. My blood sugars are normal but my 2 hour insulin was elevated.......
I get my blood retested next week.......

Hope this helps..........we are all learning............Oleander
Hello! Yay, more answers to this thread! lol...and yes, we are all learning - the past few days, I've been doing as much internet research as I can to understand what's going on. It's just been SOOOO incredibly frustrating this past year - working out and eating right and literally losing NOTHING. So I really really hope this helps. I have a good feeling that it will. Again, it's friday morning and i've only taken 3 days worth (1 pill each day) - but I have to say wednesday and thursday were really great for me, as far as my appetite goes. I haven't had any side effects YET - however, again only 1 pill daily this week - starting next week I up to 2.

My blood sugar is normal - it's 88 (should be less than 110.) - in fact of all the tests my doc ran: Cholesterol (210 - should be less than 200) ; Triglycerides (130 - should be less than 150) ; HDL (76 - should be greater than 50) ; LDL (108 - should be less than 130) ; Blood sugar (88 - should be less than 110) ; and Insulin (15 - should be less than 10)

So all of my levels except for my cholesterol and insulin are great!

But as far as physical feelings of the last two days - I've never really paid attention to whether or not i feel that "drop" or anything in the past - however, I noticed wednesday and yesterday that I was NOT as hungry when I normally am during the day. My problem - i have a sit down job that I work 10 hour days (and some saturdays)...and so when i'm sitting here at work - even after breakfast at my desk in the morning as well as lunch around 1 or 2 - it always hits me around 10:30 and 4 that i'm STARVING...but I didn't have that problem the last two days!

I know it's too early to know the true effects of this med - but i really have a GREAT feeling about it.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am early on this medicine so I do not want to speak too soon.......I went from a 7 to a 14 in one year !!!! It was maddening to me.....I was told it was pre menopause, my thyroid, I was told I was depressed !!! and had antidepressants pushed at me.............no matter how much I worked out and watched my diet I could not lose any weight.......and it was hard to maintain it.......I also saw a change in my energy and thinking.........It was during that time I developed high blood pressure and high triglycerides....all at the same time.

I had gotten where I ate very few carbs and absolutely no sweets.......I ate every few hours like a hard boiled egg, then a cheese stick, then an apple, then a salad.......that is how I ate for 2 years.......I knew there was something wrong with me....It just kept me from gaining more.

The fact that I can eat a piece of wheat toast now without worry and guilt is wonderful.........the weight is coming off my stomach and back and I am looking more like me again...........

I am so grateful that this Endocrinologist that was evaluating me for thyroid cancer was thorough enough to look a little deeper at me while I was there. He is not concerned about my thyroid like he is about my insulin resistance.
He said I should be feeling much better after being on Metformin for the next 6 months.

I have been moved up to 1000 twice a day for 1week now and my stomach discomfort seems to be better today...........so far.....

Good luck

Oleander

Old 10-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User

I have insulin resistance and POCS and I eat carbs like there is no tomorrow and I have gone from 89 kilos to 57. Just make sure you eat good carbs and wholegrains and brown rice, bread etc. Your body NEEDS carbs for energy. I wouldn't be able to exercise if I didn't eat them!

Old 10-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
(female)

Indychick829 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by viccles View Post
I have insulin resistance and POCS and I eat carbs like there is no tomorrow and I have gone from 89 kilos to 57. Just make sure you eat good carbs and wholegrains and brown rice, bread etc. Your body NEEDS carbs for energy. I wouldn't be able to exercise if I didn't eat them!
Well, I came back to check any replies - and first off..i've lost THREE pounds in the past 4 days!!! I mean WOW!!! honestly, I haven't been able to lose ANY weight in the past 6 months - exercising - eating right - doing everything right - and NOTHING...yet only 4 days of taking metformin and i'm down THREE pounds!!

now - as far as your post about eating carbs - yes i know i do. it's a little hard - just because i have to remind myself that brown rice - oatmeal - fruit - these carbs ARE "good carbs" and it's OK to have them - as long as i DO portion them out. luckily - the walmart i go to has these new rice bowls - which are PERFECTLY portioned out and you just put it in the micro for a minute and you've got your grains for lunch. I also bought those new ziplock steam bags - which are FANTASTIC to take frozen chicken or fish or shrimp to lunch and it makes it PERFECTLY in the microwave at work.

I'm just so VERY excited. Honestly, this week - i didn't change that much, as far as my eating and exercise goes - and i'm FINALLY seeing results! I know I shouldn't get my hopes up TOO high this early - but again, SIX MONTHS AND NOTHING...ONE week on metformin and i'm down 3 pounds! i'm just bursting right now. This is amazing!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Redgold46 HB User

Oh am I happy I found this site. It started for me with a huge amount of bloating in my abdomen which started over 4 years ago. I am 60. The bloating is so bad I look pregnant (and while I don't look 60 I do not like looking pregnant). I tried everything. I had a complete work up with my gynecologist. Every thing was fine. She sent me to a GI doctor, had another complete work up CT scans, colonoscopy, all routinely negative with the exception of having IBS with constipation. Along the way my blood sugars were up and down with the highest being 109. I did the diet thing, still do, I eat whole grains, plenty of fiber, never liked sweets, lean protein, and I lost 5 pounds by adding good exercise 5 times a week. My blood sugar dropped to the low 90's. I was weighing 154 and feeling good. Then when this past summer approached I was not able to get into my clothes from the previous year. I ate less, I exercised more. It did not work. I put on 10 pounds in 6 months. And my 7 y/o grandson asked if I am pregnant. <removed> I tried every supplement I thought made sense. I worked out even more. I gained weight. My GI doc put me on, Probiotics, pancreatic enzmyes to aid in digestion as well as Betaine HCl because my GI tract was not producing enough of either. Bloating decreased immediately. Great! I was thrilled. Gained another pound. Took my entire history to another new doctor this time an endocrinologist and she looked at all my labs and said "Insulin Resistance". I started on Metformin ER two weeks ago and have not had one bad side effect.

The reason I feel is because of the Probiotics. Adding the extra "good" bacteria to my GI tract staved off the nasty side effects of Metformin and I am thrilled to say I am going to the bathroom as I should be, not because of a digestive upset.

I understand the mechanism of action of Metformin <removed> and I know that it will stop any more abdominal fat from accumulating. My problem is getting rid of those 10 pounds I put on. My endo says I will lose 10-14 pounds over the next year.

All I know is now it is fall here in Florida and my jeans don't fit. A year of a wardrobe that does not fit is enough already but it should all work out.

It does suppress appetite because it lowers the insulin your pancreas secretes and insulin is what causes hunger. Now if someone would wave a magic wand over my abdomen and make it all disappear I would be thrilled.

Heck I have survived breast cancer (14 plus years), I walk in the 3-Day event every year, I am blessed in many ways, but being 60 and looking 6 months gone is not a blessing-lol however I am a believer and for any of you having bad GI side effects try probiotics. They are in Activia, but not enough - I get mine at Walgreen's. Check with your doctors first.

Redgold46

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-20-2007 at 12:35 AM. Reason: peer sharing only

Old 10-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redgold..........

Nice to meet you......... <removed>

Even though I am still heavier than I want to be I look better now and my tummy is finally going down...........I also looked PG......am 54 years old. My weight came on in my tummy and breasts... The Metformin seems to be shifting my weight around... I diet and work out and am on 1000 of Metformin twice a day..

The waistband in a size 12 fits now, still a little snug......better than a 16.....not quite the size 7 I was when this all started but I will settle for a size 9/10 if I can get there. My tummy has gone down and I am down a cup size in my bra which thrills me to death..the endo says tummy and upper body weight is common with IR......

I travel and fly all over due to my job : ( but I finally have it down on where and how to eat.....I can do pretty good now when I am on the road. That has been the hardest part of this....especially when I was having the GI upset

Good luck and let us know how you do..........I have taken Probiotics in the past......will try them again......

Oleander

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-20-2007 at 12:37 AM. Reason: peer sharing only

Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Redgold46 HB User

Good to meet you too Oleander - speaking of Oleander mine was picked clean by caterpillars - red and black creepy things at that. I don't understand how it can grow all over the place here in FL and not in my yard.

I am only on 500mg bid for now. The labs I had drawn were Vit D level, IGF1, Testosterone, HbA1c and I had my urine dipped for albumen and glucose. My meds were adjusted so I am waiting till the end of the month when I see her again for my results and a week before I go I will have a Chem 12, LDL, and complete thyroid panel. Seems I was drinking as well as using green tea in supplements and as a beverage and my endo believes it makes you go hyper thyroid so I stopped all green tea and I will see what my numbers are in 4 weeks. I fully undestand. I sell Real Estate, I do interior re-design work, I write and I volunteer for Susan G Komen here. Living in Tampa I can be casual in dress but when all my size 12's no longer fit I had a fit. There was no reason. I have been watching my diet for three years now as well as working out. So maybe my labs will be good and maybe I will need more Metformin. I hope it starts to impact me soon, it did decrease my appetite and since I do think about the black box warning with lactic acidosis I did quikly curtail my alcohol to about 6 oz of wine a day. Of course there are carbs and calories there.

I have sold a lot of products in my life and career from capital equipment to wound care, drugs, and medical services.

I would think all that flying around would wreak havoc with your system too. It did with mine.

I would be happy to lose some bust line too. I went from a 36C to a 40D and I want my 36C's back. Hopefully this will happen.

More than anything I am blessed to have found a good doctor willing to work with me and this site.

Please let me know your progress and I will be shouting from the rooftops in Tampa when I finally see the needle on the scale move.

Redgold

Old 11-02-2007, 03:57 AM   #12
(female)

Alicap HB User

Indychick829 I am so glad that you started this thread, I think pretty much that this will save me.

I am 47 years old, on menopause, I accept the way I look, about 15 lbs overweight, but my problem is that no matter how hard I diet or excercise, I seem to gain instead of losing weight, and there is nothing more frustrating, especially since I always had a tiny waist which now has disappeared.

Went to a Dr in September, and after few tests, he said I most probably am stressed/depressed, and wanted to give me prozac and refer me to a therapist, and I refused, so went for a complete check up last month to another Dr., she was sure that it would be thyroide problem, but my blood tests and Ultrasound showed everything is normal, in fact, I have almost the exact levels that Indychick829 posted, except I don't remember Insulin Resistance.

The only thing the dr. could suggest is for me to see a nutritionist and referred me to one and I have an appointement with a consultant / Homeopath on Monday. I don't think that I need a nutritionist, but learning more doesn't hurt. Now I am very eager to get a copy of my blood test on Monday, and look for Insulin Resistance, I hope it is on there

it really upsets me that we have to investigate and research about our health problems, I would expect the Dr. to look at all the possibilities of our complaints before they prescribe us prozac Now I am anxious for Monday to check out the Insulin Resistance level on my test, and if it is not on there, I will request one for sure, so again thank you for giving me hope to find a solution for my problem

Old 11-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Redgold46 HB User

Indychick- you are on the right track for sure because you are being proactive. My husband and I moved to FL from northwest Indiana almost 3 years ago. I was going to a FP doctor there who would rather prescribe than listen. I was a smoker and I wanted to quit so I did the Zyban deal and it worked. While I was taking it I noticed I was a better person emotionally and we decided I was probably affected by SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) so after I quit smoking I went on Prozac. Zyban had some nasty constipation associated with it. Well this doctor who would rather prescribe than listen to patients never put 2 and 2 together to remember (or look up) that SSRI's like Prozac affect thyroid medication. So I ended up in real thyroid problems. It took 18 months to get back to normal thyroid function. I had to keep going from doctor to doctor to find one that was on the same page as I am. I needed a good listener, someone who would do research on my problem, and tests.

As far as nutritionists go it cannot hurt and may help. I did all my own nutritional research when my fasting blood sugars started to go up into the low 100's. The best advice I have gotten on line was to gradually add fiber. I now eat up to 40 grams a day getting the bulk of it from Kellogg's All Bran Buds and adding frozen mixed berries from Sam's Club. I east 1/2 cup of the All Bran Buds and 1/3 cup of berries and I get 25 grams of fiber. Fiber slows down the absorption of glucose, makes you feel fuller longer, helps your GI tract may prevent colon cancer and it is natural. How much better can you get than that? I also use cinnamon for my blood sugar. I wish I could say being on Metformin has taken a couple pounds off of me - so far I am the same as I was when I started it three weeks ago.

I work out 5 days a week. I walk in intervals on the treadmill bumping up the speed and incline and lowering it again until I hit 250 calories burned - I do this twice a day. I work with weights on my upper body twice a week. I do lower body twice a week and I do Pilates once a week. Like you I have 15 punds I want off and I would like my waistline back too. Hopefully I will eventually I feel it will take some time.

Keep up the good work.

Red

Old 11-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes this is a great thread. I would also like to suggest when you have your Insulin level checked a fasting is really not enough.....they kept missing mine that way....The Endocrinologist I see now did a fasting and a 2 hour Insulin. My fasting was normal and my 2 hour was 5 times normal.......way too high.....He also did a 2 hour Blood sugar test and my fasting was good but my 2 hour took a little too long to come down..........He also checked my Magnesium level and said many with IR also have a low Mag level.......I was low.

Sounds like we have been down similar roads........I also quit smoking 8 years ago..........moved from sunny California to gloomy overcast Arkansas 12 years ago and suffer from SAD........do not take meds for it.....have thyroid problems and nodules.............the list goes on. When the Insulin Resistance was finally found it made a big difference....

But I am feeling so much better now........I am on Metformin, Amour for thyroid, exercise everyday.........my weight is creeping down......all is better.......... I am feeling so much better........hope it lasts...

We can write a best seller when we get it figured out.........that is another thing NO MORE BOOKS.........I have read every book there is on women's health and weight and thyroid an diets and menopause........NO MORE. I am selling all of them.......

Oleander

Old 11-08-2007, 05:14 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Redgold46 HB User

Hello ALL.

Well I was concerned because the only thing happening to me was that my appetite was decreased. I am only on 500mg twice a day so I went on line (again) and found that taking Met for weight loss takes 1-5 weeks to kick in. So I promised myself I would not get on the scale again but I could not resist - on Monday it said I had lost 2 pounds. Yesterday it said I had lost 3 pounds and to test it I tried on the blue jeans that had shrunk. They almost fit!!!! It is working. Now I have labs to have drawn and a follow up appointment on the 28th of November. My first round of blood tests were all endocrine related and included an HgA1c to see what my glucose has been doing for the last 100 days. The ones I am having will include a fasting glucose so I am excited to see what my numbers will be.

I eat carbs and without guilt now. I eat a high fiber cereal in the morning, and I eat good carbs with every meal and snack. I eat protein first though.
Carbs do fuel your body. I also upped my milk to 1% because bodies need some fat content too.

Exercise - I am on that treadmill twice a day 4 days a week at different speeds and different inclines until I burn 500 calories each of the 4 days. I do Pilates and I lift weights. To tell you all the truth I have never felt better.

This is working for me, and now I have added Mahmet Oz's new book "YOU:Staying Young" to my reading list because while we are all concentrating on our insulin resistance, we need to take care of the rest of our bodies. Right in the first couple chapters he talks about too much insulin going through the system and the brain can contribute to Alzheimer's Disease and that some doctors are calling Alzheimer's Diabetes 3.

We have to be proactive-and challenge our doctors-a really good doctor will never feel intimidated by questions.

Congratulations to all of us-we are taking control and we are doing great.

Redgold aka Carole

Closed Thread