It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
(male)

upsfusion HB User
How Long to Walk on a Treadmill

How Long to Walk on a Treadmill

Old 12-31-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Re: How Long to Walk on a Treadmill

hi,
depends on your current health?
if your a healthy person then start out with maybe 20 minutes at a speed your comfortable with about as fast as you would normally walk then increase the speed about every 3 days until you can be at a fast pace walk.
and hour on a treadmill is plenty
I walk on my mill about an hour every morning at a speed I'm comfortable with. 3.8 mph
you can run on a treadmill but I don't recommend it
its really how fast you walk not how long but both would be good.
oh be sure and wear a good pair athletic socks.

The Following User Says Thank You to chevyman For This Useful Post:
trublsd (09-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

The PP had some great advice about starting slowly and wearing good athletic shoes. It does take 20 minutes with your heart rate up to start burning fat, which are the most difficult calories to burn off (sugars and proteins can burn off with your normal daily activities). Doing at least 20 minutes at a time for at least three times per week will also increase your metabolism, which will cause your body to burn calories a lot faster throughout the day each day.

Nancy

Old 01-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
(male)

upsfusion HB User
Re: clothing on treadmill

what kind of clothing is the best to wear while on a treadmill to loose weight? i have high sugar, and in good health, i'm 42 yrs old thanks upsfusion also what would be the best time to get on it, after a meal or before?

Old 01-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Just wear whatever is comfortable for you, I wear just a T-shirt and sweat-pants ,sometimes I wear a pair of shorts & T, keep ya a bottle water handie Mp-3 player, Phone ect,,ect,,, maybe a towel to wipe your face at times , if your like I am I sweat and I use the towel to wipe of the execess sweat off my face.

I think the best time to walk is in the am before work before meals. depends a lot on your schedule..but try to always exercise before meals especially cardio exercise.

I have my own treadmill and have it in an extra bedroom that I use for weight lifts the mill and ellicliple. I just don't like to go to a gym where other people been(germs like colds ect,,ect,,) not that anything is wrong with going to a gym...

Last edited by chevyman; 01-01-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
(male)

upsfusion HB User

hi thanks chevyman, i have my own tredamill in another room also, my schedule during the week is that the time i would have would be in the evening after work, on weekends i have all day, and you said before meals, how long before meals should i get on it? thanks

Old 01-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

IF you workout after work in the evenings I would do the workout before your meals, shower then have your meal.
I just like to do it before meals so I don't get an upset stomach, if you workout after a meal wait at least an hour.
my reason for working out when I first get up is I get it out of the way for the day and it makes me feel better during the day, anything after that is just iceing on the cake sorta speak.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I agree that walking before a meal is probably better. It is easier to walk at a faster pace because you are not uncomfortablel and full, plus that will help you to avoid things like indigestion, which could happen if you work out too hard too soon after a meal. Also, the exercise revs up your metabolism for about three hours after you do it, so the calories you consume will burn up faster during that period of time.

Nancy

Closed Thread