It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
3 weeks of diet and exercise and NO weight loss!

Since the last week of December, I have cut my calories down to around 1700-1800 per day (from roughly 2100 to 2200 a day) and have started doing intense exercise 5-6 days per week (usually 40 minutes of high impact cardio such as running or elliptical plus 20 minutes or so of strength training).

I drink 2 or 3 alcoholic bevvies once a week, usualy on a Saturday I will have a couple of glasses of wine. I have almost completely cut out sweets. I have not lost one single pound. i don't understand it. Do some people's bodies take a while to lose any weight? I know most people lose a few pounds pretty quick THEN hit a wall, but I feel like something is wrong with me when my weight won't budge even a pound.

I have gained about 20 pounds over the last year. My body normally likes to "rest" at 140 or so, and I am up to 160 pounds - the most I have ever been. I am taking anti-depressants, have been for about 3 years now, and I'll be 30 in November. Still, with all these things, weight loss should not be impossible - difficult yes, but not impossible. Someone please tell me this is normal for some people. I'm trying really hard not to get discouraged, but this is getting ridiculous.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
(female)

SuperGirl03 HB User
Re: 3 weeks of diet and exercise and NO weight loss!

I would definitely check to see if your medication is stopping your body from losing the weight. You should have at least shed off a few pounds by now. And if you can, I would recommend cutting back on alcohol as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

ok, I'll give it another week or so of no drinking and being really careful about my calories. If at the end of the week I am still not losing any I'll call my doctor. It seems weird that a medication could affect weight loss that much. I'm starting to wonder if I starved myself for a week if I would still be fat, LOL.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

The intense exercise will build muscle and muscle weighs more than fat, meaning it is normal when you first start exercising to gain or at least not lose for awhile. Keep it up. Eventually the weight will start to come off and because your metabolism is increased, you will even begin to burn calories while you are inactive. Just keep doing what you are doing.

Nancy

Old 01-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Some people DO take a bit longer to lose the weight. I know friends who said they didn't see any weight loss for a while and it happened quickly and rapidly after that period of time.

I'd also talk to your doctor and make sure nothing else would be causing this to rule that out. I know if I work out TOO intensely, I put on more muscle, which can weigh more. I use the elliptical a lot and actually leave the resistance very low or my legs start to get a lot more muscular. To burn off more fat and slim down, I have to keep the resistance low and just go faster.

With eating, make sure your meals are well balanced. Having some drinks once a week shouldn't make a huge difference, but I know it can affect your water weight. I'm also the type that gets the munchies after drinking, so I have to be careful with that. Or I'll eat to sober up after having a bit too much liquor. I will let myself drink once a week, but I try to lower the calories and not have as much as I did before.

Also, I have been eating low glycemic carbs instead of the heavily processed ones and it's made a big difference. I bought some Ezekiel flourless bread and that stuff has been great for me! I would eat whole wheat before, which is definitely better than white bread. I try to stick to more natural carbs without flour if possible. It helps my energy level too! I don't have those up and down energy waves as much anymore. I try to make sure my meals have protein too. Sometimes in the past I'd eat HEALTHY, but not very balanced.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
(male)

Hguru HB User

Everyone's metabolism is different and is possible that you are one of those people who only burns around 1300 calories per day.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
(female)

Brea29 HB User

Hi I have went from 148lbs to 115lbs. Size 12 to a size 1. My husband lost 127lbs. He went from a size 46 to a sze 34. All we did was change the way we eat. I don't cook with sugar and we don't eat sugar at all, or very little. No white flour or enriched flour, only 100% whole wheat. We eat lots of eggs, chicken, fish, friuts, veggies. Drink lots of water, diet green tea, 1% milk.
I didn't lose alot of weight at first, maybe 1 lb every 2 weeks. I think my body had to ajust to the change. But after that it was about 1-2 lbs a week.
We both feel great. I don't exersice, other than cleaning my house, but I stay busy with that and keep moving.

Closed Thread