It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

nicki120 HB User
miserable and desperate

Hi, I'm absolutely miserable and desperate for help ...guidance ..advice ..whatever. I'm 5'8" 165 lbs. This time last year I was struggling with bulimia and I was twenty pounds lighter. I still struggle with the disease but I never act on my impulses because I've learned to ignore it. Still ...although it was an unhealthy habit I loved my body. Since that time I have gained 20lbs and I'm miserable and hate my body. I can't stand how ugly I look. All I want to do is drop some weight so I can fit comfortably in my clothes and be happy when I look in the mirror. I don't want to lose weight so I can look like a celebrity, I just want to lose the excess weight and be happy in my body. I'm miserable and at the lowest point in my life. Can anyone offer any support or diet advice? I'm desperate for anything.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User
Re: miserable and desperate

It looks like your thread may have gotten overlooked because it was moved.

I have dealt with disordered eating myself and know how it can take over one's whole life. So it is really important that in order to lose weight, you don't go the way of an eating disorder again. it is also very important not to go on a crash diet or any kind of strict diet. I think the best way is to find to a way of eating that you feel good with. Try to find out why you have gained the excess weight. Are you eating much more? Are you still bingeing, but not purging anymore? Are there special foods that trigger you?

For a while I had to make sure I didn't have any extra food at home. If I bought a whole bread I might just eat it. This after overcoming anorexia. I wasn't overweight but getting the feeling I had lost control over my eating. So I tried to just not buy more than I needed.
Now I am much better at it again and can buy a whole loaf of bread and eat it a little at a time.

Kathrin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: miserable and desperate

I have never had an eating disorder, but I'll admit that I tried throwing up after meals for a short time and was very lucky it never became a habit! It's definitely not a good thing and it's good that you realize this.

Do you feel that you have poor body image? I know when I went through that stage, I felt lilke I looked awful and didn't have any confidence. I felt sad a lot and went through some other bad habits to deal with how I felt. I really, really recommend doing some kind of exercise that makes you feel good about yourself and lets you destress. You may want to start out with something relaxing, like yoga or pilates or going for a walk. It's good for clearing your mind and making you feel better about yourself. I did this at first, or would use the elliptical machine, and gradually I started jogging. Now it's a hobby and jogging always helps me feel good about myself and makes me not feel sluggish.

With eating, don't try any strict diets because they aren't things that keep off the weight in the long run. I eat more fresh foods that I enjoy like fruit and veggies. I used to eat mostly Lean Cuisines and now I don't eat them as often and lost weight. I also make healthy sandwiches at home. I stick with brown rice and wheat breads instead of white things like breads and pastas. I also have sweet potatoes instead of regular. These small changes have made quite a difference! I still eat carbs, but I eat less of them and stick with the low glycemic carbs instead. Whatever I do, I try to eat foods I actually enjoy that are also healthy. I did the 5 Factor diet to get started and did that for about 4 months and now I still do it, but not as strict because I work out more.

I mark every day I work out with a star on my calendar. Seeing lots of stars motivates me to keep on working out! I try to aim for 5 days a week of workouts. I also try to not buy foods that are bad or I'll be too tempted to eat them. Reward yourself too- I like to use workout-related rewards, like I'll ******** new music to listen to during workouts or buy new gym clothes. Another good idea is to allow yourself one day a week to eat whatever you want so you don't feel deprived. I hope I helped you some!

Closed Thread