It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User
Angry Just want to know what really works???

I have been on so many, many diets and I give up because I never see any results. I am begining to think once fat always fat. I eat 5-6 small meals a day and I still starve, and crave the junk. I eat nothing and I of course starve and pig out when I can't take it any more. I don't know what to eat,or what not to eat, when to exsercise and when not to. Stay away from bread, or eat it. I am so sick of dieting I could cut the fat off myself. If I knew it wouldn't hurt, or I wouldn't bleed to death I really would.

Any advise is appreciated!! Thanks a million, CT

Old 06-13-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User
Re: Just want to know what really works???

The only thing that helped me lose weight was a lifestyle change. Not a diet. Diets are not permanent, and I always regained the weight I lost when I went back to my regular habits.

My "trick" is to keep track of your calories every day. There are good websites that track this and list calories in popular, even restaurant, foods. Find out what your daily caloric intake should be and stick to it. You can eat what you want so long as you don't go over your calorie limit.

The second part of the "trick" is to exercise. If you burn more than you consume you will lose weight. It's just common sense and it works. Stick with it long enough and you'll find it has become a part of your everyday life. If you stick with it for a while it will become a lifestyle change. You just have to be patient.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
(female)

SweetThing789 HB User

Amen Sister! Same here, this is exactly my plan and I have lost painlessly lost 88 pounds in 17 months. Diets don't work for the long haul and that's what life is! Good luck! ST.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree! Don't try any quick diets meant for you to lose weight quickly... these are the ones that make you hungry and you will just put the weight back on, or get so exhausted from not eating right. I know I tried the not eating carbs trick and I was so tired and hungry. I never had enough food and would run out too quickly and would be super hungry all the time!

My advice is, to eat balanced meals that are generally low in fat. Don't eat a lot of white breads or pastas. Try to stick with whole wheat instead. Try to have lean protein with each meal. Some people ONLY eat carbs (like a bowl of pasta ONLY as a meal). Instead try to keep your carbs as a side dish so you have room for protein and veggies/fruit as well. I like to eat grilled/baked chicken, lean steaks (usually sirloin), tuna, or sandwich meat most of the time. For my carbs, I buy whole wheat bread or Ezekiel bread (which is a flourless kind of bread), brown and wild rice, sweet potatoes, and wheat pasta. Then I just try to eat a lot of fruits and veggies and keep extra sweets to a minimum. Once a week I let myself eat junk food or something not so healthy if I want to... it lets you not feel deprived. I also eat small things throughout the day so I never feel stuffed.

In addition to my healthy eating, exercise has made a huge difference for me. I went through a period of depression and exercise has really improved my mood and gives me confidence. At first I'll feel so tired from it, but now I get a lot of energy afterwards and feel sluggish if I don't work out. I used to go 3x a week and now I go 5x a week. I can tell a difference in my metabolism! I usually jog on the treadmill and then I lift some light weights and do crunches and other exercises. I stay for just under an hour. Of course if you don't exercise now, just do whatever you can! You don't have to go 5x a week or every day... just a little more than whatever you do now can make a big difference.

Good luck to you!!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User

aj689 posted:
Fat grams being a given, there are things such as aspartame that provide sweetening for sugarless foods but it is more harmful than sugar itself. I have stated the very obvious things but my point is that aside from weight loss, you should be striving for a healthy body.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is their anything wrong with splenda, I am told that it is just as good as the real stuff without the calories.

It sure is exspensive trying to eat well. Any advise on a cheaper way to go??

CT

Old 06-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

Have you tried Weight Watchers? It's always been hard for me to loose weight, but when I started WW using their points system, it really helped a lot. I average about 1-2 pound loss each week.

Sandi

Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi2932 View Post
Have you tried Weight Watchers? It's always been hard for me to loose weight, but when I started WW using their points system, it really helped a lot. I average about 1-2 pound loss each week.

Sandi
No I have never tried weight watchers, is it exspensive? Do you have certain foods that you need to eat or purchase? I am a real cheap skate, I spend all my cash on gasoline! LOL

CT

Old 06-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
(female)

kedyssa HB User

I have just cut back on what I eat.I have noticed a change in my weight.I also started doing some Sit-Ups too to help tighten my belly area.

I hope that this helps.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User

I was told sit ups don't help until you lose the fat first...they say your just making hard fat. Is this true? I can stop eating all together, and I am fine, but once I start eating I have no will power to stop. I have a major problem with food! So eating small portions is hard to do. How do you stop once you start?

CT

Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Have you tried eating slowly? I do it. I find I enjoy my food more because I can really taste it, and it helps me fill up faster so I don't need to eat as much.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

CT, I've read your posts both here, the relationship board, as well as the diabetes board. I quit smoking last year and put on 44 pounds. I have now found myself prediabetic, very high cholesterol and in this "Syndrome X" a/k/a "Metabolic Syndrome" category.

My understanding is there is no "quick fix" for this. This isn't just diet, lose the weight and then go back to bad habits. For one thing, from what I've read, it's very, very hard for prediabetics to lose weight.

My advice would be to ask your physician for a referral to a good dietician if you're confused about the foods you should eat (or avoid). Please understand, as well, the importance of 30 minutes per day of moderate-intensity cardiovascular exercise. Not weight training, not resistance training ... for glucose, you've got to get in that cardio, and it needs to be pushing yourself.

I got the same diagnosis as you and got the same leaflet/"talk" from my physician on 4/17. I've now lost 11 pounds and four inches from my waist.

Assuming you were given the same goals as me (35" waist or smaller and losing 10 percent of body weight) by your physician, this is what I'm doing:

Breakfast - 1 slice of pumpernickel bread (low glycemic index) and 1/2 cup Egg Beaters. I put one teaspoon of Smart Balance Light on the toast.

Morning snack - one small apple and one BabyBell Light Cheese wedge.

Lunch - either leftover lean protein and sauteed veggies from dinner the night before or a meal-size portion of organic edamame (organic soybeans).

Afternoon snack - Light & Fit yogurt.

Dinner - Lean protein and veggies (salad is good).

You want to avoid white foods and sugar. I can't stand artificial sweetener myself, but I have to do this until I get my glucose under control. Look in the ingredients section of any food you buy and avoid purchasing things that have these ingredients:

Hydrogenated oils
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Sugar listed in the first few ingredients
Bleached flour

Look on the nutritional box and if the sugar amount per serving is more than 6 grams, avoid it.

For exercise, I use the treadmill five days per week for 30 - 40 minutes each day. I'm also buying a bike (I found it!!!!). With a little online research, you can really get in a good workout by just walking. This will also help your insulin resistance and will start the ball rolling for steady weight loss as time passes.

I've lost large amounts of weight before in my life, but this prediabetes/glucose thing is not something I'm going to mess around with.

You can do an online search of what the glycemic index is of basically all foods. I do believe some of these things will vary from person to person, but overall, it's a good idea to check things out. Also, listen to your body. If you feel lightheaded after eating something or exceptionally tired, think about what you've eaten.

Good luck

Old 06-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnc1234 View Post
I was told sit ups don't help until you lose the fat first...they say your just making hard fat. Is this true? I can stop eating all together, and I am fine, but once I start eating I have no will power to stop. I have a major problem with food! So eating small portions is hard to do. How do you stop once you start?

CT
Sit ups DEFINITELY don't work alone. I nearly laughed out loud when a friend of mine said he wanted to lose his gut and get his 6 pack again and his plan was to start doing 100 sit ups a day. Yeah right! I wish it were that easy. You mainly lose your midsection from doing cardio exercise to burn the fat off. You can do all the crunches you want and get great abs, but you have to fat the fat over them off! This may be why it feels like hard fat... you can feel firmness from your muscles, but fat over them.

For portions, I just try to eat smaller things less often and I don't overeat as much that way. Also, I just put what I want on my plate and put all other foods away. If there's food still out, I'll want to go back for more if it was good. I also like to buy things in individual servings so I won't be tempted to eat more. Another idea is to drink a lot of water with your meals... it really does make you more full.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
aj689 posted:
Fat grams being a given, there are things such as aspartame that provide sweetening for sugarless foods but it is more harmful than sugar itself. I have stated the very obvious things but my point is that aside from weight loss, you should be striving for a healthy body.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is their anything wrong with splenda, I am told that it is just as good as the real stuff without the calories.

It sure is exspensive trying to eat well. Any advise on a cheaper way to go??

CT
I really like Splenda and think it tastes better than Sweet and Low or other products. Just don't overdo it and eat a TON of the stuff if you are worried that it's harmful. Too much of anything isn't good for you! Those tests they do in labs that show it may be harmful are done with high amounts. Sugar gives me too many energy dips and makes me feel terrible if I have too much. I just use Splenda for days I have coffee and that's about it.

Eating well can be expensive! I am just out of college so I don't have a lot of money, but I stick with pretty simple foods. I pack my own lunch for work, so I usually make a turkey wrap on a whole wheat tortilla or make a healthy sandwich. I also like to take fruit with me. I always have items to make sandwiches, lots of fruit, salad, veggies, and when there's time to cook, I like to grill lean hamburger meat and make healthy sweet potato fries. Rotisserie chickens are another good option that isn't expensive... just peel off the skins to save fat and calories.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User

Thanks all.

Stenolady, Congrats on the progress you have made this far. I was given the 35" waist or smaller talk too, mine is 40.5" now. I just can't get the motivation to do any exercise. I have been taking walks with my kids after super, but I don't think it's doing much. Better than sitting I guess. I have a treadmill. How fast should I walk on it? I am in terrible shape, so I guess I need to start slow.

I have an appointment with my doc next month, I think on the 8th. I will see if she can refer me to a diatition, I also need to find out if insurance will pay for any of it. If not, I won't be going.

I have this problem of getting up in the night and eating a peanutbutter sandwich, or chips. I know it's bad, but how do I keep myself from the urge to eat when I think I really need to? I think that is the biggest problem.

Turrrra-Thanks for the advice, just got some splenda today, it's pretty good stuff.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:59 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Quote:
Thanks all.

Stenolady, Congrats on the progress you have made this far. I was given the 35" waist or smaller talk too, mine is 40.5" now. I just can't get the motivation to do any exercise. I have been taking walks with my kids after super, but I don't think it's doing much. Better than sitting I guess. I have a treadmill. How fast should I walk on it? I am in terrible shape, so I guess I need to start slow.

I have an appointment with my doc next month, I think on the 8th. I will see if she can refer me to a diatition, I also need to find out if insurance will pay for any of it. If not, I won't be going.

I have this problem of getting up in the night and eating a peanutbutter sandwich, or chips. I know it's bad, but how do I keep myself from the urge to eat when I think I really need to? I think that is the biggest problem.

Turrrra-Thanks for the advice, just got some splenda today, it's pretty good stuff.
Thanks, CT! It sure took a while to see the scale move. After around five weeks of not seeing that scale needle move at all, I finally just had my husband hide the scale. It was seriously discouraging. My clothes were fitting a bit looser.

As far as walking after supper, that's a great start and exactly what I did when I was just starting out. I, too, felt like it probably wasn't doing much, so I got on the treadmill and also found some online treadmill workouts. I started out at a speed of around 2.8 mph and after a few days, I'd move the speed up a notch. I'm now up to around 3.5 and I do quick spurts for a minute or two (in intervals) of 3.8 to 4.0 mph. You can also add incline during your exercise, too.

It's hard getting motivated, for sure. Have your motivators in mind. Your kids? Your health? Your appearance? Your health insurance rates/availability?

I've also found in the past that if you do your exercise in the mornings, you're not as apt to cheat and splurge throughout the day. It's also nice to get the exercise out of the way early in the day. But not everyone's schedules permit exercising in the early a.m.

I don't have much advice for the midnight munchies. That's one eating habit I've never gotten into. I sleep like a rock. Maybe some others can chime in about tips/hints on how to overcome that. Are you eating enough for dinner? The first few weeks of this new way of eating, I felt like all I was eating was sticks and twigs. I had to really make an effort to incorporate some good fats (which are filling) into my meals. Otherwise, I never felt full. Roasted sunflower seeds or half of an avocado incorporated into meals helped me with feeling full and satisfied. Maybe when you see your doc, talk about making sure you're eating enough to feel full.

Good luck with the doc. Know we're not alone in this!

Closed Thread