It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
(female)

billiethebabe HB User
Smile What to have for breakfast?

Hi folks,

I'm new to this board, Im just looking for a bit of quick advice.

I work out most days, and have cereal in the morning, however I wonder if this is such a good idea on the days where it's not possible to get to the gym due to the high carb content of cereals? Would it be better to have fruit for brek on non gym days?

Thanks!

Billie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: What to have for breakfast?

While I love the convenience of cereals, I do question how diet friendly they are. So many chemicals and sugar!

Honestly, I don't think it makes a bit of difference whether it's a workout day or not for you. Nixing the cereal and adding something more nutritious, filling and healthy is a good thing.

Here are some of my breakfasts.

Egg whites cooked, then sprinkled with salsa and/or 1 tablespoon of 2% Mexican cheese, all folded into a warm whole wheat or other grain (bran/oat is delicious) pita. This is my quickest breakfast. I can eat the pita while I'm getting dressed or wrap it in foil and eat it in the car on my way into work. You can also use egg substitute, but it's expensive and there's lots of chemicals in it.

Organic buckwheat pancakes. These are unbelievable! Packed with fiber and protein, too. I make a bundle of them on the weekends and freeze them in bundles of two for the week. Another quick breakfast. Add some fresh fruit, a tablespoon or two of sugar-free maple syrup (Log Cabin is a good one), boy oh boy!

Chopped/slivered almonds in no-sugar-added reduced fat yogurt.

Another one of my wintertime favs is steel-cut oats. I can make a big pot of them on the weekend, and they last in the fridge all week. Don't add any milk during the cooking process. Only water. Add the milk during the week when you nuke them to reheat. Talk about filling. You'll have to force yourself to eat lunch, because you'll still be full from breakfast.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
(female)

ljenner831 HB User

If you are leading an active lifestyle, I think it's perfectly fine to have cereal , even on mornings you don't workout. If you are concerned, just try to find a cereal that is high in fiber and low in sugar. There are great, healthy cereals out there.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

redsoxgirl2418 HB Userredsoxgirl2418 HB User

there's nothing wrong with cereal. Of course, some are better than others...but you're probably not eating cocoa puffs or cookie crisp before going to the gym!

i alternate breakfasts throughout the week. Some days I have a high fiber/whole grain cereal like fiber one or all bran. I usually have some kind of fruit with the cereal. Cereals that have almonds in them are good because they're a great source of protein as well.

Some other suggestions:
whole grain english muffin with a 1tbsp peanut butter with a low fat yogurt.

i egg and i slice of low fat cheese on 2 slices of whole wheat toast, you can add a slice of ham, veggie or turkey sausage or turkey bacon.

(one of my favorites) 2 egg omelet (real eggs or egg substitute) filled with low fat shredded cheese and veggies (tomato, spinach, pepper, onion, mushroom, etc)

2 whole grain frozen waffles with 1/4 cup sugar free syrup with a slice of ham, turkey/veggie sausage, or turkey bacon

Old 08-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
(female)

billiethebabe HB User

Hey guys, thank you very much for this! I've just have brekky for today, weetabix with oat milk, but I'm going to try some of these treats !

B x

Closed Thread