It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

yogacat10 HB User
Question body rx and no weight loss so far - advice, please!

Hi!

I have been doing Dr. Connelly's body rx plan faithfully for 5 weeks. I had great success with this plan about two years ago, but got off track and regained weight, feeling horrible. I have 30 pounds to lose - the most EVER. I figured that some outside advice can't hurt. The body rx plan is this:

1) 4 six-week cycles of training: strength, sculpt, fat burn, maintenance - the focus is weight training, but i also do cardio: twice on non-weight days (usually intervals on whatever machine, but i want to get back to running) - 40 minutes on non-weight days. i do around 20 minutes of cardio on 1 or 2 weight training days (after weights)

2) simple eating plan: high (good quality and lean) protein, lots of vegetables and what he calls "green" carbs (veg, fruit, and fiber one cereal), and a satisfactory amount ( but not excessive) amount of "yellow" carbs (brown rice, etc). no treats, no alcohol.

I do not go hungry! I eat 6 meals a day, as he recommends. I limit "yellow" carbs but eat plenty of fiber (45-60 grams a day), TONS of fresh green veggies, and lean protein (chicken, fish, and protein MRPs). I eat from 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight to 1 1/2 (again, as he recommends). My weight training plan is four days a week, and intense. I know that I'm doing that right.

Last time I did this I got lean and so strong! Right now, 5 weeks into the first cycle, i'm frustrated. i feel stronger and overall, "better," but not one bit smaller. I'm a 45 year old woman, and even though I know that I'm doing everything right (I think!), am worried that the fat just won't come off this time.

Anybody have any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: body rx and no weight loss so far - advice, please!

Yogacat,
You mentioned carbs (veggies and starches) and low fat protein but you didn't say if you are consuming any "good" fats in your diet. So I'm wondering if you do or don't. It's been said that you need some good fat in your diet and fat helps you to burn fat. You don't need very much but you do need some.

Fiber One cerial: What does a serving consist of? 3/4 cup? How many grams of added sugar per serving? Do you limit yourself to one serving? Do you have one serving of (skim?) milk with it or other? How many grams of sugar do you get from the milk? You might want to try steel cut oats (it has no additives) and use unsweetened (Silk) soymilk instead of cows milk. Then include a serving of (various) fruits and a few chopped-up nuts.

Starches: Do you limit yourself to one starch per meal? And do you measure it or do you eat as much as you feel like eating at the time? I would recommend sticking to one carefully measured starch per meal. For example, you might have 1/4 cup (measured dry) oatmeal for breakfast. If you have a salad for lunch, you could mix in 1/4 cup (measured dry) of pasta. If you have soup in the evening, you could mix in 1/4 cup (measured dry) of brown rice.

EXERCISE: Your exercise routine sounds ambitious. Whether it's good or bad for you, as an individual, I'm not sure. I would just be careful not to over do it as it could potentially cause stress. If that happens, it then becomes counterproductive. Exercise that becomes too stressful may cause you to produce the hormone, cortisol.

FRESH GREEN VEGGIES: What kind of dressing do you use? In my opinion, it's best to keep it simple. I use extra virgin olive oil and a good quality vinegar (for salads). And I always measure it carefully with a measuring spoon. With your activity level you might want to use about 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil per meal. And I never cook the oil, I add it to food after cooking.

That's it!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
(female)

yogacat10 HB User

hi and thanks for your reply! let me clarify some things that were 'unknowns' for you when you replied to my post. i'm just going to try to hit every point in order, numerically. and thanks again!

1. it's true, i eat mostly lean proteins (chicken breast and fish), but once or twice a week or so i will have a burger patty (96% lean), pork chop, or even a steak (about 3-4 oz). i also have about 1/4 cup of avocado on my salad maybe twice a week, and a few walnut pieces (approx 2 tblspons) on the salad as well. other than that, the salads are romaine, spinach, tomato, cuke, peppers, and/or sometimes peas.

2. fiber one cereal has zero grams of sugar. i eat a cup at a time, which is about 160 calories, 15 grams protein, and 30 grams of fiber - including the milk (2% or lowfat, and not much of it)

3. i really don't eat that much starch. i have maybe 4-6 slices of sprouted grain (flourless) high fiber bread a week, lots of the fiber one cereal, and a carefully measured 1/2 cup of brown rice (measured cooked) per week. i really load up on heaps of veg, and have my bowl of cereal at night (in place of rice or other starch). i also put 1/2 cup of fiber one in my blended protein shake right after my workout (early a.m.).

4. most people do think the weight routine is ambitious. me and my workout partner thrive on it. i have always loved weight training. i try to always be aware of the signs of overtraining, and so far, i don't think that's the case. i'm careful wtih the cardio for that reason, that's why i do more cardio on off-weight days and only about 20 minutes on only two of my four weight days.

5. salad dressing is 1 tblspoon of flax oil and lemon juice. i do measure the flax oil now -haven't always. but i absolutely never use bottled dressings - don't like them much, really. i also try to have salmon at least twice a week to make sure i'm getting those omega 3's.

thanks again for your tips. i remain open to hearing any other thoughts you have! mind you, i did have great success with this program a year and a half ago, and i seem to remember being frustrated like this at about 5 or 6 weeks in. so maybe i just need a little more patience. i do feel much stronger and better - just want to lose some fat soon!

thanks!

k

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-02-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Your diet sounds good and your idea to give it more time is probably a good idea. If that doesn't work, give us an update.

With all of your knowledge about good diet and exercise, it kind of surprises me that you're having a problem.

Here's an idea you might try to get some variety. Rather than have Fiber One cereal with your evening meal, try cooking some organic whole grain. I get mine at my local health food store (It looks like a bag of seeds). One bag weighs 1.75 lb. and costs about half as much as the flourless bread. When you cook it for about 45 minutes (simmering) it's crunchy and very enjoyable, in my opinion. You can flavor it while it's cooking by adding garlic, onion or whatever. Or, I suppose you could not flavor it and eat it with milk or soymilk and add a little fruit.

If you can't lose weight after several weeks, come back and let us know. I might offer a few more ideas.

Good luck.

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-02-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Spelling / added an idea

Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Something to consider: if you previously were not exercising, the exercise that you are doing (particularly strength training) may be causing your muscle to grow, which would "cancel out" the effect of fat loss when you are looking at your weight on a (weight only) scale. However, even if you weigh the same (or even more), having a higher percentage of muscle and lower percentage of fat is a typically good thing. (Conversely, if you weigh the same (or even less), but your fat percentage goes up, that is typically not a good thing.)

If that is the case, your clothes may feel looser in some places (where your body fat is), although they may feel tighter in places where you do not have much body fat but do have growing muscle. Muscle is denser than fat, so you will get smaller overall if your weight does not change but your body fat percentage goes down.

There are ways of measuring body fat percentage, but the more accurate ones involving water weighing or X-ray scanning tend to be less convenient or expensive. The less expensive ways involving calipers, circumference measurements, impedance scales, etc. are not that accurate in an absolute sense, although they could show trends over time.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
(female)

yogacat10 HB User

Thanks, John,

I met with my trainer (I'm not currently training WITH him, but he's my go-to guy), and he thought the diet and exercise looks good too. He thinks (alas) that peri-menopause might have something to do with it. I was not really happy to hear this news, but his encouragement keeps me motivated. He also recommended getting a few more medium chain triglycerides and other 'good' fat, suggesting that it is possible that despite my flax oil, olive oil, and walnuts, i'm not getting quite ENOUGH fat to burn fat. So he recommend 1/2 avocado on salad any time i eat salad and looking for some other MCTs. I'm not especially interested in coconut oil, so I may just increase my Muscle Milk Light, which I love anyway.

The grains you suggested sound good! I may try them. i also realized that I have a good recipe for quinua salad that is excellent. Quinua, big bed of greens, red pepper, cucumber, balsamic vinegar, and just a bit of feta - it's fabulous.

Other than that, I'm slightly rearranging my workouts so as to allow for three days a week of Bikram yoga - which is a ninety minute sweat-fest! On those days I will be sure to do no cardio (i'm trying to work up to running and that would be too much on the same day), no weights, or only upper body weight training. I do take some electrolytes afterwards, as 90 minutes in a 100 degree room really takes it out of you!

I want to be clear about the fact that I know I am benefitting from the exercise, and the yoga is I think improving my core strength (in the oft-neglected areas of lower back and hips)/ I am finding that I feel generally MUCH stronger since starting the weight training too. I feel healthier, better, more energy. I just want the inches to start coming off!

Thanks again for your input, and I will be back in a few weeks to give you updates - as always, any tips you might think of are much appreciated!

Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Your diet sounds good and your idea to give it more time is probably a good idea. If that doesn't work, give us an update.

With all of your knowledge about good diet and exercise, it kind of surprises me that you're having a problem.

Here's an idea you might try to get some variety. Rather than have Fiber One cereal with your evening meal, try cooking some organic whole grain. I get mine at my local health food store (It looks like a bag of seeds). One bag weighs 1.75 lb. and costs about half as much as the flourless bread. When you cook it for about 45 minutes (simmering) it's crunchy and very enjoyable, in my opinion. You can flavor it while it's cooking by adding garlic, onion or whatever. Or, I suppose you could not flavor it and eat it with milk or soymilk and add a little fruit.

If you can't lose weight after several weeks, come back and let us know. I might offer a few more ideas.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
(female)

yogacat10 HB User

Hi, and thanks for the reply!

All good information, thank you. I understand that the muscle gain often precedes the fat loss (hence the feeling of being even bigger rather than smaller). I am, though, accustomed to having my clothes fit more loosely at this stage of the game (7 weeks in, and just having shifted from a 'heavy' lifting cycle to a 'lighter' one - more sets, more reps, a bit less weight) - and my clothes really don't fit any differently. This is the source of my frustration.

You make a good point though, in that I could have my bodyfat checked. I will do it if the trainers at my gym will do it for me.

Anyway, there's where I'm at - 7 weeks of busting my butt at the gym - as I said in replying to John - feeling MUCH better, much stronger, much healthier - but not a bit less fat. This is disheartening, to say the least, and I'm just trying to keep the faith!

thanks again!

kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Something to consider: if you previously were not exercising, the exercise that you are doing (particularly strength training) may be causing your muscle to grow, which would "cancel out" the effect of fat loss when you are looking at your weight on a (weight only) scale. However, even if you weigh the same (or even more), having a higher percentage of muscle and lower percentage of fat is a typically good thing. (Conversely, if you weigh the same (or even less), but your fat percentage goes up, that is typically not a good thing.)

If that is the case, your clothes may feel looser in some places (where your body fat is), although they may feel tighter in places where you do not have much body fat but do have growing muscle. Muscle is denser than fat, so you will get smaller overall if your weight does not change but your body fat percentage goes down.

There are ways of measuring body fat percentage, but the more accurate ones involving water weighing or X-ray scanning tend to be less convenient or expensive. The less expensive ways involving calipers, circumference measurements, impedance scales, etc. are not that accurate in an absolute sense, although they could show trends over time.

Closed Thread