HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Weight Loss (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/weight-loss/)
-   -   how much should a 13 year old eat? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/weight-loss/666549-how-much-should-13-year-old-eat.html)

jonece81 01-28-2009 03:44 PM

how much should a 13 year old eat?

My daughter is 13, 5'4

Ding 01-29-2009 06:27 AM

Re: how much should a 13 year old eat?

At that age they should eat as much as they need to get them through the day. Puberty is a very important time, their bodies need good nutrition and enough energy to grow and develop. It is a time when issues about body image can spiral out of control, so it is important to make sure your child is set good exapmples of healthy attitudes towards food. Young teenagers can get really hungry, but make sure that the food availiable to them is healthy and fresh and with as little junk as possible.
Every child is different, do not obsess over calories at this age. Focus on healthy eating and exercise. Make your house an environment where eating healthy and exercising is the norm, and make sure you are well stocked with healthy choices so that will be what they go for when they come in from school really hungry.

Heres some ideas for foods:

Breakfast (really encourage them to eat breakfast) - wholegrain cereal or toast, eggs, milk, fresh fruit, oatmeal, yoghurt, nuts, peanut butter (the natural kind) even a sandwich etc.

Lunch - wholegrain bread sandwiches, lean protein like tuna, chicken, turkey, carbohydrates like brown rice, sweet potatoes, wholegrain tortillas etc. Vegetable based soups, raw veggies, fresh fruit etc.

Dinner - Some kind of lean protein, carbohydrates and loads of veggies and salad. Fruit for dessert, or a piece of home made cake or something (home made is much better than store bought chemical laden rubbish)

Snacks, fruit, veggies, nuts, small sandwiches.

JohnR41 01-30-2009 09:18 AM

Vegetables could be a problem for youngsters. Many of them have a natural dislike for many different kinds of vegetables, especially "bitter" vegetables. In the book, "Dr Gundry's Diet Evolution", the author says there's a reason for it. Vegetables are somewhat anti-cell-growth and may conflict with what growth hormones are trying to accomplish.

It doesn't mean that you shouldn't offer vegetables to a child who doesn't like vegetables. It just means it might be better to find out what vegetables your child likes and work with that, rather than trying to force your child to eat "bitter" vegetables.
For example, find out what your daughter likes in a salad. She might prefer Iceberg lettuce over romaine or spinich. Maybe she would like olives but dislike radishes.

tUrRrRa 01-30-2009 04:58 PM

These are some great tips! I just wanted to point out that it can greatly vary at that age. I always had such a slow metabolism at that age since I wasn't very active. Some teens are growing quickly and need to eat more, active teens may want to eat more, and some may not. I used to eat typical meals.. some cereal for breakfast, lunches at school, and then chicken and vegetable or something like that for dinner. My problem was that I'd sometimes eat too many snacks! I think it is great to keep lots of healthy snacks aroun that taste good too. I always enjoyed strawberries and fruits to snack on as a teen, or some baby carrots.