It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

laura425 HB User
new at this

Hello my name is Laura and I am new at this. I am looking for someone to help me with some info on Diet and Nutrition. I am looking to lose about 50lbs and don't know where to start.

Thank Laura

Old 02-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: new at this

Laura,

Are there any foods that you're eating now that you suspect might be causing you to be overweight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
(female)

laura425 HB User

Well my biggest fall down is l love to eat bread and dessert. I think that is where my down fall is. I try to eat veggie and and that kind of stuff but it seems very hard for me.

Thanks Laura

Old 02-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Welcome! I think the best way to start is to make SMALL changes. No need to do anything extreme or you'll only be more likely to give up. One thing I hear many people do first is to give up regular sodas. Drinking one is best, but I'll admit that I drink diet sodas! If you drink diet ones, that's fine, but just be aware that SOME people crave extra sweets from the artificial sweeteners.

Just try slowly cutting back on the breads/desserts. Instead of white bread, stick with whole wheat. I now enjoy it more and it's more satisfying. Don't cut anything out completely, just eat it less often if it's not healthy. If there are healthy foods you really enjoy, be sure to keep lots of those around. I love berries, so I buy them at the store EVERY time.

Also, a good exercise routine always helps. I work out quite a bit, so it helps me not have to be as strict about how much I eat. I'd recommend something lower impact, such as walking or using the elliptical machine. I used to run and really enjoyed it, but overdid it and now have knee pains! It's always good to start slow and build your way up so you don't overdo it like I did . Good luck to you!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura425 View Post
Well my biggest fall down is l love to eat bread and dessert. I think that is where my down fall is. I try to eat veggie and and that kind of stuff but it seems very hard for me.

Thanks Laura
You might try eating something like one serving of oatmeal for breakfast. Include one serving of fruit and sprinkle in some chopped nuts (one or two teaspoons). I cook mine with water but add unsweetened soymilk to keep it moist (then reheat before eating). If you sprinkle in some Cinnamon that will help to keep your blood sugar level.

Lunch: Try eating some vegetables first while you're still hungry. Then eat some protein; and then have one slice of bread and a piece of fruit. If the bread comes near the end of the meal, you'll be less likely to overdo it. Think of the fruit as your dessert. If after all of that you still don't feel satisfied, have a cup of coffee or tea.

Dinner: Use the same strategy as for lunch. Or you might try making soup with a serving of pasta or rice. Include vegetables in the soup too. Then you won't need any bread. Just finish with a medium size piece of fruit instead of a processed dessert.

If you have vegetables separately, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on them along with your favorite vinegar.

Hope that helps.

Note: Whole wheat is definitely better than white bread, as was mentioned by tUrRrRa, but you shouldn't eat more bread just because whole wheat is a healthier choice. When it comes to weight control, bread needs to be limited.
Usually, a 1/2 slice is about one serving. Although, I'm sure it might say otherwise on the bread-wrapper.

If anyone has a different opinion as to how much a serving is, I'd like to hear about it. I could be wrong although I don't think I am.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
(female)

laura425 HB User

Hello everyone, how is everyone doing today? I hope everyone is doing great. Well everything is going good so far I have lost some pounds and I am excited about it. I have been just taking small steps and it seems to work this time. Portion control and drink lots of water.

I just thought I keep everyone posted on how it is going.

Hope everyone have a great weekend.

Laura

Closed Thread