It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
(male)

coryh HB User
Exclamation Underweight - Need Help

Hello. My name is Cory, and I'm 21.

I'll just cut to the story followed by the questions...
Firstly, I'm not sure where this thread belongs.
I've been skinny my entire life (other than being a baby of 10 lbs., 1 ounce). My metabolic rate is EXTREMELY high. I have intentionally tried to pack on some blubber so that I can actually feel better. I've tried eating constantly, putting on muscle, etc., but to no avail.
My exercises have caused my muscles to DEFINE, not get bigger or bulkier when I increase my intake of foods and the like.
Recently, and I may still, I had/have a peptic ulcer. I couldn't eat hardly anything, and spent nearly $400 (with insurance) on treatments. I believe it was caused in part by stress and anxiety/bipolar disorders which caused me to not eat. To this day I don't have much of an appetite. I recently wanted to start exercising again, so I dusted off my old weights, bought new shoes and that to get myself started. I ran 4 TIMES (6 miles, 4 miles, 7 miles, 4 miles) and lost more weight at an alarming rate along my hips. I can't even sit down without my pelvic bones bothering me because I haven't much "cushion" now. I've tried to put on weight. I can't do it. I can't afford an expensive regiment of high protein foods like chicken and steak, or the constant need for supplements. At this time, I am 5'11" and weigh approximately 135 pounds. I've tried even eating at night and just laying around. Being lazy doesn't even work. I've stopped working out because of my weight. I used to be very strong for my size because I was so defined and athletic, but now I feel weak after my bouts with manic depression and my ulcer...

So my question is this... I can't lose any more weight. What can I do to put it on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Underweight - Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryh View Post
To this day I don't have much of an appetite.
Have you asked a doctor specifically about your lack of appetite?

You may want to try eating foods with high calorie density when you do have the appetite, such as nuts, fatty fish, canned sardines or tuna packed in oil, avocados, olive oil, dried fruit, etc.. Eggs are a relatively inexpensive source of protein if that is a concern.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Might want to get checked for hyperthyroidism or parasitic infection. Parasites often cause stomach upset, diarrhea, etc. I don't know if that is a problem for you.

Hyperthyroidism can cause anxiety, palpitations, feeling of having had way too much coffee, and feeling too warm. It can be detected by blood tests.

Eat cheese. Cheese is cheap and tasty and calorie-dense, as are the other foods tjlhb mentioned.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

enjoy it now! I know a guy who was just like you in his 20's and 30's. Could eat 3 big macs and a snickers bar at lunch everyday. Couldnt gain an ounce. Now at 40 he is fat and bald. he would give anything to be the way he was. lol

Closed Thread