It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User
Question Tired of trying!!! Help

I don't know what to do anymore. I can't stand to look at myself in front of the mirror. I catch my husband always looking at my belly fat, I'm turning him off, I can see it in his face. That depresses me...I eat when I am depressed. I am the type of person who carries my fat in my waist and belly. Everything eles is thin. I look just like the typical apple. I could stand to lose about 25-30pounds. I really don't know what kind of foods a person with my body type should eat. Can you help me??

Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Tired of trying!!! Help

I'd love to offer some tips, because I am naturally the same shape. I gain weight around my middle and my legs and arms stay about the same! I no longer have my belly and am finally confident with my body, so I'd love to share how I got to this point. It's also good that you are asking about this because belly fat can be more dangerous than other fat.

I also used to struggle with depression. I saw a doctor and took antidepressants, which I hope to never have to take again! They made me gain about 5 pounds without being on them for very long and I was hardly eating to try to keep the weight off. Instead, now I use exercise for when I'm feeling bad and to keep up good moods. Try something easy and relaxing, like talking a walk or yoga/pilates. I guarantee that you will feel better! Think about how you feel after you eat... if you are sad, the food probably did not help. Try doing something good for your body. Exercise is kind of addicting, in a good way. I also try to find other good hobbies I can go to when I'm sad. Sometimes just going online, reading a book or magazine, getting a pedicure, etc. can improve your mood.

Keep healthy snacks around for those times when you DO need snacks or those times when you give in. Try some 100 calorie popcorn. You get a generous serving for not a lot of calories. I also like fruits and baby carrots for small snacks. Lately I've been buying Fiber One bars. I get low blood sugar and needed a sweet snack that was easy enough to pack in my purse.

Now, for getting into shape.. I find that diet and cardio exercise are the best ways to lose a belly. I used to do crunches all the time and didn't get any results until I changed my eating habits. Watch your portions, keep snacks healthy, and be sure to have balanced meals. Make sure to have some lean protein, healthy carbs, and fruits and vegetables. I used to eat too many carbs and not enough protein (ex: pasta for dinner and nothing else!). I found that when I limit my carbs and eat healthy ones, I felt like I had more energy too. Drink plenty of water as well and don't overdo it with sugar. Eat more fresh foods when you can rather than something already prepared or packaged. I used to follow the Five Factor Diet, which is really good. Unfortunately I found it difficult to eat as often as they recommend when I'm out at work.

When going out to eat, I like to look at the menu online first to get an idea of what is best to order. Often times, a meal that sounds healthy may be a bad choice. I like to get the lean steaks (like a sirloin) or chicken when they are offered. For fast food, I try to get Subway or something healthy, but if not, I just order a small portion, like a kids meal. If you have something unhealthy, just try to eat a very small portion. I avoid buying a big bag or anything bad b/c I know I'll eat too much of it.

For exercise, try to get some walking or other cardio exercise. Do it as often as you like, 3-5x a week is a good goal amount. I started off walking and now like to run or use the elliptical machine. You can do some crunches or other ab exercises to keep them firm. I also do various exercises using light weights.

And a very important thing, make sure to not beat yourself up over messing up one day. It's bound to happen. Be sure to recognize the days when you make progress and reward yourself. If I did a great week of working out, instead of a reward of food, I'd ******** some great new songs to use for my workouts or something small like that, or get a new shirt or makeup. Be sure to treat yourself well and stay positive so you can regain some confidence! Good luck to you and I hope I offered some tips that can help. Once you start making changes, you will see results, and when that happens, it will motivate you so much. I always find that the beginning is toughest, but when I see myself slimming down from the workouts, I want to keep going and doing more!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
(male)

Ryan4444 HB User

I still struggle with my apple shaped body too and wish to be leaner also. I wish to tell you what when I lost over 10 lb's for the first time in about 10 years. I just stopped eating any kind of sweet because sugar makes you feel bad I think and you should have natural sugars anyway. Natural sugars are good for a little energy and all fruits have these. But don't worry, natural sugars are nothing like regular sugars. I also drink a ton of water. Try to lay off of diet drinks becuase they have some calories while water has none. Water will also help you lose weight by 3%. I read this somewhere on the internet, I just don't remember where. Try some salad. Spinach salad is great with little bacon bits and some honey french dressing. If you like brocoli and cauliflour these are also good too with melted cheese on them. Also try eating fish and chicken a lot more because it's better for and not as fattening.

Try to exercise some. You will want to do this more after time and can be very addicting. Try some b vitamin complex. This gives you quite a bit of energy in my opinion. Walk or jog at least 3 to 4 times a week and try doing just a little strength training at least once a day. You don't have to do a whole lot but I just recommend it that anybody do it at least once a day. I do it every morning and evening now. Ab crunches, leg liftes, flies and push ups have done wonders for me.

I have lost about 14 lb's in the last 2 months. Have gotten very frustrated and wanted to give up many times. When I get this way I get angry at myself and discipline my body through exercise. I hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Super appreciated!

Now I would just like to vent for a minute about how wrong I think it is for certain unmentioned companies to charge people...overweight, unhealthy, usually depressed people, money to learn tricks on how to lose weight! When 90 and even 100% of the time these diets don't work! I agree, a sensible diet and a good strong workout 20 to 30 minutes 3-5 days a week is the best bet. So why is it, with Americans so obese, we can't have these tools to help us loose weight for free. Why does good health have to come with a price tag attatched?

Some of us need emotional help and support (thank you to those who give it freely , your angels) and just basic tools to get on our feet. what to eat...what not to eat. Simple guidlines. Not a bunch of mumbo-jumbo that the average Joe-shmoe like myself don't understand.

Alrighty then, I feel so much better! Thanks again to those who care about people.... not many of you left in this world.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree with you! And they make all these things they sell look SO tempting, but then we end up disappointed from them. I've tried diet pills before and they were more of a natural kind with green tea, but they didn't make a huge difference and were just costing me money! You can just DRINK green tea and get the same results anyway.

I think many people do need that emotional support and some motivation. It can be so tough to get started, especially if you are not confident about yourself.

Ryan mentioned diet drinks... do watch out for these because some people crave more sweets as a result of drinking diet sodas! Luckily this doesn't happen to me and I can get rid of a sweet craving by drinking a diet soda. Water is always a better bet though! Even diet juices sometimes still have quite a bit of sugar and aren't all that healthy since they are more of a "juice cocktail." Some low fat products also make up for the taste by adding more sugar. I know peanut butter is like this. So just watch out for those things, because sometimes labels are misleading.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User

Yes, I do try to read food labels. I am also a diet rite soda addict. But I'm sure the Splenda in it isn't great for you either. I've never really thought about using a soda as a treat to calm my sweet tooth. Thats a great idea! I think I'll try it. Thanks tUrRrRa.

Does anyone have trouble with having an awesome home cooked meal, (as I usually do ) and it taste so good, that you keep eating...not because your hungry, but you just can't help yourself, it's so good? It's one of my biggest problems. That and night eating. How do you overcome these temptations?

Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

The night eating is easy...I just brush my teeth, and that pretty much ends my craving for more food. I view brushing my teeth as one of those "necessary chores"...I do it diligently, 3x a day...but I don't care to do it anymore than that. So brushing my teeth early in the evening, means no more food for me...because I am way too lazy to brush them all over again. Yeah, pretty pathetic, I know...but it works!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User

Brushing your teeth huh. I get craveings for certain foods (usually carbs) and I'm not sure brushing would curb them. But...I'm willing to try just about anything at this point. Thanks nscrbug

Closed Thread