It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
(female)

pettle88 HB User
Question Fasting?

So about two years ago I would fast for a few days here and there to lose weight and feel good about myself. I recently found out you shouldn't exercise or do strenuous work but rather relax and rest during that time.

I am thinking about fasting again but instead of 3-7 days more like 7-14 days and seeing how my body feels. The only problem is, I don't want my husband or family to think I am killing myself by becoming anorexic. Also, I have to work a 9-5 job so I wouldn't be resting always.

I'm not only wanting to do it for weight loss reasons, although I'm not going to lie; it is the main reason. But also, I like the feeling of an empty stomach without the hunger and growl of the belly. I like my stomach feeling empty and flat and content with itself. I like feeling healthy and energized and after a while you feel that way while fasting.

I am 21 years old and I'm not content with my body, my weight, my image. I want to like myself and not get mad every time a half naked/naked woman comes on television for the fear my husband finds her more attractive than me.

I want to be able to buy clothes I love and find to die for on me rather then settle for what clothes there are in the shop.

I'm not obese, but I'm not my ideal weight either. I'm 5'6 and 145 (aprox.) pounds. My goal weight would be around 130-135 pounds.

I just want to have self esteem I guess.

With that being said, what should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
(female)

quitus HB User
Re: Fasting?

Hello, my sister is a dietician and it is SO harmful for you to fast AT ALL to lose weight. And you will just put twice as much back on afterwards. If you stick to a diet and lose the weight slowly (a pound a day is too much) then you will end up the right weight and stay there

Old 03-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Hi there! I really don't think a fast would even be necessary since your weight loss goals are very reasonable. 10-15 pounds shouldn't be too tough at all. It sounds like you are in a healthy weight range, but your goal weight is as well.. and I completely understand wanting to be able to feel good about yourself! I lost 10 pounds last year from cleaning up my diet. Before attempting a fast, I'd try a very clean diet first. Aim for mostly fruits and veggies and lean protein, limit your carbs, and just try to eat very clean foods, not processed. To do this, try to buy your groceries around the outer edge of the store, where all the produce and fresh items are. Now, try to eat small meals, but more often. You won't get that full feeling! You should also get more energy from eating all the fresh foods. Give that a try first and see if it works for you. It worked great for me!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Hey there - I agree with the other two posts - fasting is not what you're looking for at this point. I used to fast when I was younger, around your age, but for an internal cleanse to get out toxins. I never fasted for weight loss because as previously mentioned, if that is your goal then you will just put on more weight when it is over.

Check out Tosca Reno's book on clean eating. It has changed the way I think about food and myself. Eating clean and getting out every day for a walk or getting to the gym for a hard workout will do much more for your physical and emotional well being than a fast will. I think you need to work on your inner voice and don't let it tell you negative things. Your husband married you for a reason and there will always be prettier/skinnier/richer/whatever girls around so you have to have confidence in yourself and forget about them. Trust me, if you walk around all day moaning about how fat you are, or are constantly worried your husband is looking at other women, that's a huge turn off for him. Confidence is sexy.

Don't buy into the hype that you need to cleanse or fast to lose weight. If you want to drop pounds and get toxins out of your body, you need to be active (sweating is a great toxin release) and eat clean. Keep your food as close to nature as possible - no fried foods, no processed sugar, no soda - and you'll find that not only will your body look fantastic (which, I'm sure at 5'6 and 145 it already does!), but your skin will be glowing with good health.

Good luck and eat clean!

Closed Thread