It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

twinmom2004 HB User
Any ideas?

Hi all - here is my situation and I would be very interested to hear some feedback. I am a 28 year old woman that has battled with my weight most of my life. It started when I was around 8 when I got my first period and from that point and through high school I was just a little overweight (at most 10- 20 pounds) then at 20 when I got married I went on Depo for BC and over the course of 2.5 years I gained around 100+ pounds (making me 270 on a 5'3" frame). I knew we wanted kids so I buckled down and lost 75 pounds in around 18 months and then ended up pregnant with twins in early 2004. I didn't gain anything (15 lbs total and 12.5 of that was the babies) with the pregnancy so that wasn't an issue. After the birth I couldn't lose by diet alone (as I had before) so in the fall of 2006 I joined a gym and since then have been working out 10 hours a week at a high intensity and keeping a 1400-1500 calorie diet. I also do strength training 3-4 days a week. I am only 5 pounds less right now than when I started back in 2006. I am not sure what the problem is. I saw an internist (referred to me by my OB) last year and all she did was prescribe me Meridia for 6 months and that did nothing - I don't need an appetite suppressant! I have also seen dietitians and they say that see nothing wrong with my diet. What else is there to do?!?! I am just so mentally exhausted and frustrated that it isn't even funny. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas for my situation?? I have considered seeing a bariatrician but didn't know if they could help me - I just getting desperate at this point.... It's just so hard to put in so much mental and physical effort with no results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User
Re: Any ideas?

Hmmm...have you had your thyroid checked recently? Perhaps you could be hypothyroid...which would explain the inability to drop weight. Do you have any of the other "classic" hypothyroid symptoms? Such as fatigue, weakness, intolerance to cold, hair loss, weight gain or inability to lose weight, dry skin, memory loss, irregular menstrual cycles, muscle cramps/aches, constipation???

Old 03-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
(female)

twinmom2004 HB User

I had my thyroid checked years ago before I lost the 75 pounds and was told I was *fine*. I have heard from others that there is a *simple* thyroid test and then a more *in depth* test. They had said they would have a normal on the simple test but then find something wrong when they took the more complex test (I guess the other test just tests for more factors. I had a slew of blood work about 18 months ago but it was just cholesterol, sugar and she said she checked some other things and everything was great - I was one of the healthiest people she's ever seen. I mean how can I be doing everything right and be so health and yet still be so overweight?!?! As to all the symptoms you mentioned I don't have the dry skin, fatigue (though I do at times - I mean I am a full time mom and student! LOL), memory loss, constipation, pretty much any of that! I do not have a period as I have an IUD. Everyone I see (doctor wise) swears the IUD has nothing to do with it but I don't know for sure. Planning on getting rid of it this year anyway in exchange for DH to get a vasectomy. Thank you so much for responding. I am going to still ask for thyroid testing when I see my OB on April 9. Any idea as to any others I should ask about??

Old 03-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Hm... if you have had your thyroid checked and lots of blood work done, I sure would HOPE they would have found what can cause this. I'd consider getting the more complex thryoid test done just to double check on that one.

What exactly does your diet look like? Like what would you eat in a typical day? And what kind of cardio exercise is it that you do?

Closed Thread