It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
(female)

mandy_16 HB User
Weight Gain.

I've been on a diet for a couple months now,
and I've lost 10 pounds.
But when I weighed myself this morning, it said that
I had gained 4 pounds.
This really upset me.
I haven’t changed anything about my diet or exercise.
I've been eating 1300- 1400 calories a day, and 15- 20 grams of fat.
I've also been exercising for 30 mins every day.
How could I have gained this much back?

Last edited by mandy_16; 03-28-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User
Re: Weight Gain.

Two things:

As I'm sure you know, muscle weighs more than fat. So just because the scale is up, it doesn't mean you are not leaner and trimmer if you were not exercising before. How are your clothes fitting. Do they seem tighter? The same? Looser?

Secondly, a couple pounds could be water weight. If you've eaten anything more salty than normal, it could take a day or two to flush the salt (and water you are holding) out of your system.

Last thought - are you sure your scales are accurate? I had a digital set that was pretty horrible in terms of accuracy. If I weighed 4 times I got 4 different numbers.

It is very disappointing when you see those numbers, I know. Just try to not let it take you from your good habits you are working.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by resolution09 View Post
Secondly, a couple pounds could be water weight. If you've eaten anything more salty than normal, it could take a day or two to flush the salt (and water you are holding) out of your system.
Also, carbohydrates (actually glycogen) make a significant impact on water retention.

If you are reasonably well hydrated, then your weight after either a long hard exercise session or after eating low carbohydrate for a few days (carb / glycogen depleted) will be lower than after eating high carbohydrate but not exercised (carb / glycogen loaded). This is because stored glycogen also causes increased water storage.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
(female)

mandy_16 HB User

I've felt pretty bloated lately....
I haven't changed what I've been eating....
Or my exercizing lately.
Its been the same for the past 2 months.
Do you think I'm not eating enough calories, and my body is storing weight?
Or is 1300- 1400 calories a day enough?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I had to eat 1200 calories a day in the past to lose weight since I was already at a healthy weight. Now that I am a bit more active (I used to work out 30-45 minutes and now I work out more like an hour or more), I can eat more. It's hard to tell exactly how many calories you need, but you can try adding and seeing if it makes a difference for you. I had a nutritionist that helped me determine how many I need. At first she had me at 1500 but I wasn't losing so we had to drop down to 1200. Unfortunately, sometimes it's just trial and error.

What you are eating does make a huge difference. I used to eat "healthy" snacks like 100 calorie packs and things like that, but now that I stopped eating those so often, I feel better. I also stopped eating so many Lean Cuisines and lost weight. Those are pretty high in sodium, which can cause you to store water weight. I'd try drinking plenty of water these next few days if you feel bloated or even some green tea (one without calories or very few). But if you haven't changed anything, likely it is just water weight from something you ate or drank. Just try to eat very clean right now (lots of fruits and veggies, less processed foods), plenty of water, etc. and hopefully the weight should come back off.

Closed Thread