It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User
metaformin and cortisol?

Hey all,

Well, here is my story. I am majorly overwieght and have been exercising with a personal trainer for about 3 months and I am up to 3 miles in 56 minutes on an elliptical about 3 times a day and the rest of the week either walking or weights. Not a single pound and I am have been in the gym for 6 months. I have also been following a balanced diet and haven't had a dessert since I can remember.
I have noticed my clothes fitting better and have dropped a size, but just went to the doctor today and I was up four pounds! He mentioned going on metaformin to conteract cortisol. I was on metaformin awhile back, but it made me so sick that it was effecting my life. I couldn't work because I was on the toliet all day long. I have been tested for insulin resistance and the test was negative.
Well, I am back on the metaformin, but only one ER 500 mg tablet a day as compared to the 9 tables with 3 per meal I was on years ago.
So, do you think this may help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: metaformin and cortisol?

lylone,

Do you have type 2 diabetes? Did your doctor use the word "cortisol"? Excess cortisol is usually caused by stress. Do you have excess cortisol caused by stress? I would think you're taking metaformin to help control your blood sugar. Is that correct?

Are you eating lots of NATURAL WHOLE FOODS that are high in fiber? (Not fiber supplements or high fiber cereals) Fiber helps to control excess hormones and blood sugar.

You were up 4 pounds afer working out for 6 months? Could it be that you lost a lot of fat and replaced it with heavier muscle?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylone View Post
I have noticed my clothes fitting better and have dropped a size, but just went to the doctor today and I was up four pounds!
This could mean that you lost fat (you got smaller) and gained muscle (you got heavier). This would be a good thing. Added muscle increases your resting metabolism, making it easier to lose body fat.

Instead of relying solely on the weight scale (which cannot tell the difference between body fat and lean body mass), you may want to consider tracking your body fat percentage or some proxy, like waist circumference at navel level.

Also, water weight can cause fluctuations of up to five pounds or even more.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

No, I do not have type 2 diabetes, and yes the doctor did mention cortisol. I have been tested for diabetes many times over the years and all times have come up negative for either. I haven't been tested for cortisol either. I have gained muscle and can tell in the ways my clothes fit. But the problem I am having is that many times my blood pressure has bottomed out and the doctor won't change my meds until some weight comes off.
The doctor only relies on the scale and until I loose some weight, I am stuck on these bp meds. <sigh>

Lyl

Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Have you explained to your doctor that you have lost fat and gained muscle?

Can you find a new doctor who will adjust your blood pressure medication based on your actual blood pressure readings, rather than relying on just your weight?

The added muscle will help you lose fat, though. Extra muscle makes you stronger and more capable of exercise, as well as increasing your resting metabolism when you are not exercising.

Closed Thread