It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
(female)

theysayloveis HB User
Phentermine

I went to an Endocrinologist for the first time today about being unable to lose weight. I have hypothyroidism but they refuse to treat. Instead, I was given phentermine, which really bothers me, as it's an appetite suppressant and won't that slow down my metabolism?
What are your guys' experiences? I monitored my diet, kept a food journal, and exercise every SINGLE day for at least 30 minutes.
This doc totally insulted me, doesn't believe me, etc.
I don't know what to do.
Advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User
Re: Phentermine

I think I would find a new Endo that will treat your hypo. If you don't get that under control, I don't see how the phentermine will help. What exactly is it, that this doctor doesn't believe??? Has he done a complete thyroid panel on you? If the results are such that you were diagnosed with hypo, then I don't understand why they are refusing to treat it...doesn't make any sense to me. Find a new doc ASAP!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
(female)

Jenbuck29 HB User

Im in the same boat! I was just diagnosed as hypo & have been gaining weight like crazy. My Dr, whom i had to beg, gave me a months worth of adipex (phentermine) & it is the best thing ever! Gives me so much energy & from what I hear it boosts your metabolism which is what the thyroid is cutting back your metabolism & slowing it down. Ive been on it for 8 days & already lost 6 lbs, but of course I walk 5 miles on the treadmill & go to the gym everyday. Sometimes you do have to be very careful w/that med. It can cause your heart to race & can lead to strokes or heart attack. Only do it short term. Monitor your pulse regulary. NEVER take more than one in a day. Once I took 3 n one day & almost died n the hospital. Learned my lesson the hard way. I worry because I have a goiter on my neck & by eating little, im afraid that it is damaging it cause it hurts badly. I love this med though cause before I was a hypo, I lost 40 lbs in 2 months. Heck I just wanna b a size 8 & not a 12! Summers coming soon! WOOT WOOT!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
(female)

ladybugga HB User

If you have a thyroid problem they should treat it, so find another doctor. Also call if you do not already know and find out why they won't treat you, there has to be a reason. If they will not give one I would suggest calling the clinic's/medical group patient's leasion. When I had trouble with a past doctor I phoned them and told them my story. A couple of months later the doctor in question left the clinic not sure if my call was the start of something or not. But I phoned to make sure the same thing did not happen to anyone else. I did change doctors and was very happy I had.

Phentermine will raise your blood pressure and give you lots of energy, but in the long run not a good option to lose weight. As once you are off it you will gain back unless you continue to do what you did while on it. You hardly eat, as your want to eat will vanish while on phentermine. I would exercise 45 minutes on my bike and do a 45 min DVD exercise tape and still felt like I could go hours. Now that I am off it 20 minutes in I am pushing myself. I lost 15 pounds in 4 weeks while on it last summer. I slept 4 or less hours a day and my house had never been cleaner. But I could not keep up with the same amount of exercise and was again hungry. I am now doing Weight Watchers and being as good as I can. I do fall off but it will be worth it in the end as it will be something I can live with. Even if I am having trouble with motivation!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
(female)

MyKidsMOM0122 HB User

I had the same problem with weight loss. Couldn't lose it to save my life. Gained 40 lbs. from an Anti-Depressant. Had my Thyroid cheched and all was normal. Decided to go to a weight loss clinic. I was put onn a 1300 calorie diet. Wasn't losing quickly enough so I went on Releana or HCG. Works wonders. Check it out.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
(female)

angeleyesinga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKidsMOM0122 View Post
I had the same problem with weight loss. Couldn't lose it to save my life. Gained 40 lbs. from an Anti-Depressant. Had my Thyroid cheched and all was normal. Decided to go to a weight loss clinic. I was put onn a 1300 calorie diet. Wasn't losing quickly enough so I went on Releana or HCG. Works wonders. Check it out.
Just curious, How did the HCG or Releana work for you up til now? Can you update us please?

Closed Thread