It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
(female)

KIMBEE HB User
Question special doc that prescibes diet pills?

I was wondering is there a special doctor that you have to see in order to get prescibed diet pills? My regular MD wouldnt do it. I am seeing a Endocronologist on the 8 of May, do you think that he will do it? Is that the kind of doctor that deals with those issues? I have gained 40 to 50 Pounds since Aug. of last year, and am having a alot of hormonal problems, that is the reason for the visit to the endocronologist. I just feel so bad about myself, I am not a big eater sometimes only eat once a day.I look completly differant, it is so strange, I feel as if I am in somebodys elses body. My kids freak out they feel like they have a differant mom. I have never had problems before with my weight ,so I feel baffled. Please if any body out there has had similar problems chime in, I feel hopeless. My age could be a issue I am 47, but my doc says I am not in Menapause yet, but perimenapause. Whats the differance?

Old 05-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: special doc that prescibes diet pills?

KIMBEE,
Did your regular MD give you a reason why he/she wouldn't prescribe diet pills? Perhaps it means that he's not giving up on you and doesn't want you to give up on yourself, at least not yet. Perhaps he believe's that one should seek to find the underlying cause and deal with it, rather than covering it over with pills.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

That is exactly what I am trying to do, with going to the Endocronologist on the 8th. I am hoping to find out if there is an underlying cause behind all this weight gain. My reg doc doesnt believe in taking diet pills why? I havnt a clue. I dont feel as if I am trying to "cover"up with taking pills but I FEEL LIKE IF THEY ARE OUT THERE AND HELP OTHERS LOOSE WEIGHT WHY NOT GIVE IT A TRY? No offense, I noticed that you are male so I dont think you can truly understand what we women go through with weight gain. And like I said this is new to me with the excess weight and all, I am 5'10 and usually weigh 135 to 140 and now weigh 202 that pretty drastic in my eyes I have modled all my live and maybe it is a vanity thing, but I feel you are a little judgematic with your post, you dont know what I feel and what I go through when I have to look in the mirror. So before you tell someone else just to deal with it, you might want to think before you post, women are very differant about weight gain than men.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Perhaps your physician does not want to prescribe medication until your endocrinology is done. Taking additional drugs may complicate the diagnosis and treatment of the underlying problem that you are experiencing. It is likely that if the underlying problem is solved, the fat gain can be more easily reversed (or may start to reverse by itself).

Also, prescription diet drugs are meant for short term use, in conjunction with long term lifestyle changes of cleaning up your diet and increasing exercise (Did your eating and exercise habits change when you started gaining fat? Be sure to account for changes in activity that may not specifically be thought of as "exercise" such as changing levels of physical activity in work and commuting.). But if you can do that to make yourself thinner, why not do it without the drugs, which may or may not help in the short term, but will certainly make your wallet thinner?

Last edited by tjlhb; 05-02-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

KIMBEE,

It is good that you have a visit to an endocrinologist coming up soon. John41 is right -- it is important to get to the underlying reason for your weight gain. And tjlhb also has good point: "Taking additional drugs may complicate the diagnosis and treatment of the underlying problem that you are experiencing. It is likely that if the underlying problem is solved, the fat gain can be more easily reversed (or may start to reverse by itself)."

The first two folks to reply to your thread may be men, but I think that they do understand your frustration.

You say you don't overeat, and this is a recent change in your body. Taking diet pills will only throw more imbalance into your body. I certainly can understand your frustration and distress. But you are doing the right thing by going to the endocrinologist. Give your doctors time to help you. {{{hugs}}}

--Rheanna

Old 05-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

tHANKS GUYS i APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTS, i AM SO ANXIOUS AND FRUSTRATED AS i HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO LOOSE WEIGHT ON MY OWN. i THINK i AM A LITTLE SCARED OF WHAT THEY MIGHT FIND AT THE DOCS OFFFICE.dIDNT MEAN TO COME OFF RUDE OR INSENSITIVE i AM JUST WORRIED AND SCARED i FEEL LIKEI HAVE NO CONTROL, AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT, ITS MUCH APPRECIATED.

Closed Thread